Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

What is UD 2.0?

Great carb cycling program by Lyle McDonald. Check out bodyrecomposition.com

2. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

newbie question: weights before or after cardio? and why?

Do whichever is more important to you first. Or different days.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah, always use a wristwatch. It helps with consistency.

that helps a lot, but for those that don't use a watch, your phone's clock work. or a simpler (yet rougher) method that I like to use it just see how many songs pass by on the radio/on your headphones. for heavy sets of compound movements, I make sure about 2 songs (sometimes 3) pass by.

4. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I don't take consistent rest by time, but go by what an old coach told me of having your HR under 120.

5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Had pizza and milkshake last night which in general is a carb heavy meal for me while wearing a particular pair of jeans. Today, I can't comfortably fit into them. It's a heavy denim. My thighs don't fit. My movement is restricted. Kinda pissed.

6. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

At least that didnt occur while you were earing them [​IMG]

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

newbie question: weights before or after cardio? and why?
    Different days Before is definitely bad, you feel drained. After, if you do cardio intense enough it will kill your recovery. I generally just try to stay away from cardio, aside from cutting season
    yes, you do 3 working sets and that may work for you. but for me (and most people), I need 2-3 sets of deads, then other movements that use similar muscle groups like banded good mornings, snatches, etc. hell, I know a couple people that need 5x the sets I need because they're genetic freaks and get weaker if they don't do an insane amount of volume. basically what I'm saying is, you should avoid making blanketing statements like that. what would've been better is saying "after a certain point, extra sets are pointless for me" or "for some people"
    Maybe it is just for me, or an individual thing. But I think if people are stalling in a high volume program, they'd be REALLY SURPRISED w/how better they could do by cutting a little volume. Likewise in a cut going down to 1/3-1/2 normal volume will do wonders for preserving strength + size while enabling recovery in a deficit. I don't think the opposite (adding volume in a stall) ever works. But it could be an individual thing. Every time I've tried to add a 5th day to my routine my strength started to fall off.

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Maybe it is just for me, or an individual thing. But I think if people are stalling in a high volume program, they'd be REALLY SURPRISED w/how better they could do by cutting a little volume. Likewise in a cut going down to 1/3-1/2 normal volume will do wonders for preserving strength + size while enabling recovery in a deficit. But it could be an individual thing. Every time I've tried to add a 5th day to my routine my strength started to fall off.
    I agree on that. I don't like 5 day/week routines at all. I never said I high volume is better than low volume or vice versa heh I think you just assumed that I encouraged high volume from my post but I never listed any sort of rep scheme, frequency, etc. I just stated why a person might use three different stations for chest. I think you would agree that 2x5, 2x8, then 1x10 for three different chest movements once a week is no where near "high volume." my original post is the following.
    why not? it gives a person the ability to hit certain muscle groups with different leverage points. also, if one wants to further exhaust a muscle group (in this case, the chest), a machine will allow him to do so since it requires less assistance from stabilizer muscles while providing a safer vehicle to do so.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

^The man was a legend, RIP.

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Had pizza and milkshake last night which in general is a carb heavy meal for me while wearing a particular pair of jeans. Today, I can't comfortably fit into them. It's a heavy denim. My thighs don't fit. My movement is restricted. Kinda pissed.

it might have to do with water retention more so than fat gain. i think its virtually impossible to make a physical change in appearance after just one meal.

12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

yeah, you're probably what girls call "bloated"

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

it might have to do with water retention more so than fat gain. i think its virtually impossible to make a physical change in appearance after just one meal.

You'll not see fat gain right after a meal... you haven't even digested your food yet.

14. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

It's water gain. I just don't want a pair of jeans that has an eating requirement when I have to work hard mentally to get myself to gain weight already. I've outgrown so many jeans, this was the last remainder, the one that was nearly too-big when I bought it, and I'm not in a great position to replace them now.

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

I've had DOMS in my quads since last friday from squats and they aren't really going away. I only just started doing squats, is this normal. I'm going really deep on them so that the back of my thigh touches the back of my calf. Is that why or is it just because my lower body is pretty much completely untrained?