1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Natty bb is fucked up. 4 weeks out tk looked crazy, full muscles, vascular, proportionate. Apparently getting to the lowest bodyfat is more important than all of those things.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Ah okay, so I guess it's more about being cut. I saw RP bitch about how at these national contest all their clients got docked points for being too large. I must not understand bodybuilding #58 looks like a bro who does 10 pushups a day and #62 looks like he dieted 1 week out.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah. F shows, just get swoleeee!

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

No shit, reading the new issue of power magazine. Flipped through an interview with that Christmas Abbott girl and she runs a crossfit gym down the street.

5. Eason

Eason Senior member

If it makes you feel better, there was some recent research showing that people who do an excess amount of running (40k a week+) had the same amount of plaque in their heart than completely inactive fatties. Apparently, too much cardio causes plaque build-up.

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

It's true -- it's more of a dieting contest rather than who has the best physique or muscular development. I think it's bad for the sport.

For me to have been competitive in this comp I would have had to lose probably 8-10 more pounds...and tbh I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

I keep getting weird twinges in my left foot for a couple days after leg days. Tough to describe, but noticeable anytime I'm barefoot. On a good day I can do leg press loaded with 630 lbs of plates, don't bother with actual squats.

I just wear running shoes when I'm lifting, so is this a sign I need to pick up some weightlifting shoes? I might pick up some Chucks but could spring for AdiPowers or something similar if they're worthwhile. I also have custom orthotics (collapsing arch in my left foot). I might be able to ditch the orthotics during leg days with a proper weightlifting shoe.

8. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

Lawl.

9. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

If you lost another 8-10 lbs, you'd look like a borderline anorexic/DYEL'er. Just sayin'...

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

yeah because weightlifting shoes are absolutely critical for the leg press.

5 people like this.
  11. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

I'm a tall and lanky guy, don't trust myself to do squats with good form without injuring myself. I'm not training to compete in powerlifting. But hey, I'm open to feedback; if leg press and this thing: http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/hammerstrength/plateloaded/lowerbodytorso/vsquat.html aren't going to get the job done, maybe I'll start to work on squats.

12. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

I wouldn't buy weightlifting shoes if you aren't oly lifting or at the very least squatting, for it would be a waste of money. I'd try using a lacrosse ball (or whatever small torture instrument you have) on the soles of you feet to see if you can work any tightness away.

13. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Almost everyone should be able to hit depth in a squat, tall and lanky guys with longer femurs just have to squat a bit differently from the shorter and stockier builds.
    I'm 6'3 btw, with long femurs and thought I couldn't hit proper depth for a long time. Now I can back squat ATG without rounding the back. Its just about finding a good squatting style for your proportions.

Work on you mobility if you're not flexible. As a tall guy with longer femurs, you need good ankle dorsiflexion, lower back flexibility and to be able to open up your hips and shove the knees out to the sides. You should try to take a wider stance and let the knees travel more forward over the toes. Sitting far back in the squat does not work as well for those with longer femurs and will often lead to butt wink (lower back rounding).

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  14. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

15. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Thanks for the pointers guys, much appreciated!

16. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Front squatting might work better for your proportions.

2 people like this.
  17. gort

gort Senior member

People are just as bad at not hitting depth on leg press as they are on squat. Dat 1/2 ROM leg press with 6 plates on each side.. SMH.

18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

That v squat machine is probably good enough for building up the legs tbh. Looks like it does the job of a hack squat machine.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  19. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I don't think you're supposed to "hit depth" on leg press. Frankly I think most people go too deep on it.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

I go almost as deep as my hip joint flexibility will allow without letting my lower back come off the back pad. But I could definitely go deeper on the v squat machine, something I'm starting to work on.

1 person likes this.