1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

How long did that take

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Comp last year was May 21st at 176lbs. Bulked to 211 over winter. Started cutting Jan 13th. Currently 177lbs.

3. concealed

concealed Senior member

Don't underestimate, NYC is significantly more expensive than Boston.. if you aren't making 100k+ you will basically be a poor person. Obviously Boston isn't cheap but you will spend a lot more money in New York.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cool The Kid

[​IMG]

Gives me hope. I should be good by next summer

5. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Found this on a lifting forum:

Interview about protein intake, protein timing and muscle building with Philip Stuart (apparently one of the best in the world in that field):

http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/...uart-phillips/

"Quote:
    Bottom line, if you’re taking in adequate protein then BCAA are a complete waste of money IMO!

Quote:
    From an optimal standpoint, however, there are benefits of ingesting protein intakes as high as 1.6-1.8 g/kg/d [0.73-0.81 g/lb/d], which we further breakdown to ~4 meals of 0.4-0.45 g/kg/meal, in a day.

In an energy deficit higher intakes might be of benefit to protect muscle mass, but the exact number for what to eat when in energy deficit is a little hard to pin down, but I’d have no issues with 2-2.5 g/kg/d [0.91-1.14 g/lb/d] or 0.5k/kg/meal 4 times daily.

Quote:
    While our group has continually been tagged with the 20g/meal tag (which equates to ~0.25g/kg), you can certainly eat (and digest) a lot more protein. My point would be that your body can’t use the amino acids from protein when ingested beyond the immediate roles of those amino acids to build new proteins – in muscle and elsewhere – make neurotransmitters, or use the amino acids in intermediary metabolism.

After that the nitrogen (N) is fundamentally toxic in a mammalian system and you strip the amino acid off the nitrogen and eventually it ends up in urea and some ammonia. So beyond what your body can immediately (or within a few short hours) use metabolically, large ’doses’ of protein simply aren’t metabolically useful."

TLDR:
    - amino acid builds builds muscle, not calories
    - the body can digest more than 30g of protein at a time, but it can't make use of the amino acids beyond those in a meal with 30-40g protein
    - he recommends 0.5g of protein/kg/meal 4 times daily from sources with complete amino acid profile (pretty much pure protein sources like meat, dairy, powders, etc). I read this as your total protein intake can be higher but thise 0.5g/kg bw should be from gypical protein sources, not including trace protein from carbs or fat sources

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  6. Cool The Kid

I have stopped paying attn to these studies/experts. Anyone trying to keep up to date will go crazy.

4 people like this.
  7. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Interview about protein intake, protein timing and muscle building with Philip Stuart (apparently one of the best in the world in that field):

"Quote:
    Bottom line, if you’re taking in adequate protein then BCAA are a complete waste of money IMO!

Quote:
    From an optimal standpoint, however, there are benefits of ingesting protein intakes as high as 1.6-1.8 g/kg/d [0.73-0.81 g/lb/d], which we further breakdown to ~4 meals of 0.4-0.45 g/kg/meal, in a day.

In an energy deficit higher intakes might be of benefit to protect muscle mass, but the exact number for what to eat when in energy deficit is a little hard to pin down, but I’d have no issues with 2-2.5 g/kg/d [0.91-1.14 g/lb/d] or 0.5k/kg/meal 4 times daily.

Quote:
    While our group has continually been tagged with the 20g/meal tag (which equates to ~0.25g/kg), you can certainly eat (and digest) a lot more protein. My point would be that your body can’t use the amino acids from protein when ingested beyond the immediate roles of those amino acids to build new proteins – in muscle and elsewhere – make neurotransmitters, or use the amino acids in intermediary metabolism.

After that the nitrogen (N) is fundamentally toxic in a mammalian system and you strip the amino acid

off the nitrogen and eventually it ends up in urea and some ammonia. So beyond what your body can immediately (or within a few short hours) use metabolically, large ’doses’ of protein simply aren’t metabolically useful."

TLDR:
    - the body can digest more than 30g of protein at a time, but it can't make use of the amino acids beyond those in a meal with 30-40g protein
    - he recommends 0.5g of protein/kg/meal 4 times daily from sources with complete amino acid profile (pretty much pure protein sources like meat, dairy, powders, etc). I read this as your total protein intake can be higher but thise 0.5g/kg bw should be from gypical protein sources, not including trace protein from carbs or fat sources[/quot

"Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

After that the nitrogen (N) is fundamentally toxic in a mammalian system and you strip the amino acid off the nitrogen and eventually it ends up in urea and some ammonia. So beyond what your body can immediately (or within a few short hours) use metabolically, large ’doses’ of protein simply aren’t metabolically useful."

TLDR:
    - he recommends 0.5g of protein/kg/meal 4 times daily from sources with complete amino acid profile (pretty much pure protein sources like meat, dairy, powders, etc). I read this as your total protein intake can be higher but thise 0.5g/kg bw should be from gypical protein sources, not including trace protein from carbs or fat sources[/quote
    Billshit. Try gaining muscle without carbs.

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Most of the training research is just re-hashed shit the russians did studies on decades ago.

9. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I weighed 192.4 Thursday night. Friday morning I left for my friends cabin, over the course of Friday and Saturday I drank at least 30 beers, a liter of vodka, and probably about 20 mixed drinks at bars. Eating wise I actually think I did ok, we BBQed both nights and I just ate mad steaks and burgers.

Came home few hours ago and weighed myself right then and there, 196. Not bad at all. No way that is 4lbs of fat, at least 2 of water and shit... will just do a few cardio days this week and I should be back at 192 or probably less by next monday.

Also banged super hot red head chick. looked like lindsay lohan in her prime.

after we boned she told me she had a boyfriend :foo: like why would you even bother sharing that with me after the fact?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    4 people like this.
  10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

she wanted you to beat him up!

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think this honestly depends on what you're comfortable with and where you are in life. Want to live in a 1br apt or studio and are single? Want a 2 BR?

If you're willing to live with roommates/friends and don't mind a little bit of a commute (30ish mins), then you can do pretty well. I make way less than 100K in Boston and do okay for myself. WAYYYY Less.. like less than half. Then again, living expenses and discretionary income are even for me here. That's crazy for most people though. I have friends in NYC that don't make 100K and are pretty happy, though they sure wouldn't mind making more money.

All of us are in our mid 20's and unmarried/no kids though, so there's that...

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

like an old domestic proverb says:

this is as fucked up as easter was for jesus

2 people like this.
  13. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

Watched Generation Iron, going in with no expectations. Turned out to be entertaining with a few cringe-worthy moments, but still a good watch.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Having to take 2 days off for easter and today is russling me. I feel so flat without my pump.

15. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I worked out 5 times since Friday wooooo.

16. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I don't really see why. Rent is actually cheaper if you're living in Brooklyn and I tend not to eat out. Drinks are about the same, although there is a higher ceiling in NY if you wanna get fancy.

17. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Homo progress pic:

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Stuff just costs more generally. Like literally everything.

Also, rent is not significantly cheaper in the parts of brooklyn that you probably want to live. Anywhere reasonably close to Manhattan is going to be more expensive than your average place in Boston and plus there's often a "hip neighborhood" surtax.

Also it should be noted that the "hip" parts of brooklyn are shitholes with differing amounts of gentrification on top but they're still gross post-industrial burnout shitholes at their core. Go there for fun but don't live there if you enjoy anything resembling a high quality of life especially if you're interested living a healthy lifestyle as the gyms/healthy food options in those areas are abysmal (I say this as a former williamsburg resident)

Keep your mind open to places like Queens (Astoria, LIC), Harlem/Washington Heights (where I live), Jersey City/Hoboken, Upper East Side/Spanish Harlem or less cool parts of Brooklyn (Prospect Heights, parts of Bed Sty) Where you live should be determined mainly by where you commute because even an extra 10-15 minute subway ride/transfer 10x a week begins to add up.

f you can get a short sublease and get your bearings before you move for real real that'd probably be ideal (which you should do in the winter when not everybody and their mother is looking for a place i.e. august and september).

Anyway I make less than 100k and I live comfortably by every standard imaginable. I'm just sick of the grind. That being said I'd be balling in Boston at my salary but that would mean I'd have to live in Boston which is even less appealing than NYC.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I mean I already pay $1200/mo. I'm expecting groceries and stuff to be about 10-20% more and subway pass to be double but those are both pretty manageable.

I gotta look into the rest of the city because the only part I've spent time in is manhattan. I'd be commuting to two bridges

20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Are you willing to live with roommates? Because 1200/mo isn't gonna get you much in the way of studios in nyc.

1 person likes this.