1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if I understand that study right it basically says that you can grow more by doing more volume at a lower intensity with some common bodybuilding training styles like TuT?

Example doing more volume with 30% of 1RM and use tempo modulations like slow eccentrics for higher TuT in comparison to lower total volume at 80% without tempo modulation.

My current program is actually based much on the former at the moment (which I guess you're a proponent for?). I do lots of volume with lower intensity and use some TuT methods. For instance, on one day I do many sets of high rep high bar box squats supersetted with high rep hamstring curls with slow negative. Its very much bodybuilding and hypertrophy training packaged towards powerlifting, if that makes sense.

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

4. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Yeah there are a bunch of different mechanisms that produce growth.

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

What have I been telling you to do for the past year -_-

6. conceptionist

Yes, I agree.

If your goal to get maximum short term strength, on the other hand, I think you have to be more specific with your training. Like long term, a powerlifter would benefit from hypertrophy training as he needs to get bigger to get stronger (me atm), but to get the maximum total in 4 weeks for example (short term), lower volume and higher intensity will most likely get a better result.

For just hypertrophy goals, maybe you never need to do lower volume/higher intensity.

7. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

If I switch to sumo, how much should I lower my working weight by to start? I am all torso with short limbs and DOMS related to deadlifting appears to be what was making my back sore, so I think it's a good idea to switch before I end up hurting something.

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

So anyway, guys what should I do when I come off this layoff? I'm hovering around 20-23% bodyfat and want to get down to ~15%. I am thinking of running Greyskull LP on a slight caloric deficit/recomp diet. The other idea is to run pseudo-SS (with accessories, ditching power cleans) until I get my squat back to where it was, then switch.

9. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I think lower volume high intensity workouts are probably beneficial for bodybuilders occasionally in order to see what your maximum force potential is and also just for fun.

1 person likes this.
  10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Edit: I really know the answer to that question, with more knee extension needed the VMO has to work more. So that's why powerlifters have a big difference between their inside and outside quad. I got in a funny argument with my skinny crossfit friend, he said he had larger quads than me because his VMO is a bit more developed; then we lifted shorts and it was obvious who had much larger wheels.

I'm not taking it easy on lower! Going to try to highbar 300 and front squat 250. Need to grow that VMO

11. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

[​IMG]

Tomorrow is two weeks on.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

this was the video i tried to link, dunno why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. gort

gort Senior member

Don't worry the BAH is high here.

14. GraphicNovelty

4/20 run in the springtime sun. 3.5 miles of bliss

1 person likes this.
  15. conceptionist

With short limbs and long torso, you def are gonna have a harder time to get into a good pulling position with a conventional deadlift. In comparison to a person with longer limbs and shorter torso, your back angle will be more vertical which will put more stress on the back and your lower back will easier round. So it could def be the cause for your back problems and switching to sumo could be a good idea.

For the weight, it totally depends on how many reps and sets you are doing, but if I'm going to assume you mean 1 to 3 sets of 5 reps that should be somewhere around the 80-85% range.

Record yourself working up to a heavy sumo dl with perfect form. Then start your working sets of 5 reps with 80% of that. If form breaks down, start even lower. Better to start too easy with a new movement.

If you want to put minimal stress on your lower back, your sumo stance should be max width and torso as upright as you can with hips pretty low. Look at Alexander Kangs sumo guide on youtube for an example.

1 person likes this.
  16. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Today is last carb up before showday. Going for approx 540g carbs today. Will hopefully be shredded tomorrow.

17. GraphicNovelty

how much lbm did you gain during your dreamer bulk you think?

18. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

5lbs?

19. GraphicNovelty

20. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I'll let you know after 6pm next Saturday. :D