1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Mine are free, but my bosses are spine surgeons.
    One of them operated on me. Twice.

Irony is I do spine research. One of the studies I'm in is for patients like me. Another I'm in charge of I had to withdraw myself from because it would be a conflict of interest if I.was on the study lol.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I spent my 21st bday on the couch after I herniated my first disc...

3. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

This guys blog is all the evidence you need the SS and training just for strength in the big 3 is not the way to aesthetics. Guy looks like a frog even if he totals 1400.

Would not bang.

2 people like this.
  4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

he does still sorta looks strange doesnt he, that 250 stretched his gut out!

5. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Are there people who dispute that who have been lifting for more than 2-3 years?

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

It's alright bro we will lift <3

7. Coldsnap

lots of people use the big three to get jacked and lean though

8. poorman

poorman Well-Known Member

So scared that will happen even though I'm only around 200.:(

9. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Word. Good thing you already had a warm up sesh with Charly :happy:

10. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

This.
    I don't understand the discussion about SS not leading to a aesthetic body. That has never been the point of the program. Anyone who understands basic strength programming also sees that just by looking at it: way too low volume, no direct arm work and its very unbalanced (lower body has twice as much work as upper while most people actually need the reverse, twice the work for upper instead, for getting even proportions and strength development).

Can we stop discussing this topic now? Such a beaten to death discussion, only built on misconceptions and fanboyism.

Btw, the guy in question has written that his sole purpose with training is getting a bigge me total. Why care whether he gets fat or not? He clearly doesn't care much and neither should anyone else.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Maybe if people using ss stopped posting pics asking how their development was coming along people this wouldn't be an issue.

12. tesseract

Also you are never allowed to use the term fanboy as that should be tattooed on your forehead.

13. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

It wasn't really a criticism of SS because the main reason people dislike SS for aesthetics is it doesn't have enough upper body volume. He obviously had enough upper body volume to bench 325. It was more a criticism of people saying all you need to get bigger is get stronger in the big 3. Guy out benches me by fuck loads, but who was pecs?

14. Coldsnap

How does one develop pecs

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Weighed in at 177 this AM 6 days out. Last year was 176 on stage.

I'm thinking I could step on stage at 174-175 shredded as fuck. Striated glutes, here I come!

3 people like this.
  16. tesseract

Decline smith machine incline db

17. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Well-Known Member

Textmaster calls for less discussion.

1 person likes this.
  18. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I see how this is an issue and I think those guys have been mislead. If their goal with lifting is to look good, SS is not the way and its a shame people have them believe so.

While I think squats and deadlifts are valuable lifts for anyone regardless of goals (mostly squats), the barbell bench press could prob be substituted for other presses like DB bench or dips if you're goal is not a big total. The practical problems with DBs though is that they become very big and hard to set up when you're very strong and with heavy weighted dips there's an injury risk to your shoulders. You could do without regular squats and deadlifts too and substitute them with lunges, rdls, rows, etc but there's so many studies and empirical results of their benefits I simply chose to believe it.

19. tesseract

20. Coldsnap

Fwiw if you hire RP for bodybuilding their workout is a shit ton of squatting, good morning, bench, bent over rows, pullups. Mike is giant and recently posted highbar narrow squats 455 x 8 for sets then more squats following, he's a few weeks out.

now that my new training max squat is 2.5lbs under double bodyweight I sort of want to take a few months and just do highbar squats front squats then work on upper body unbalances like chest and arms. Id rather be balanced all around then have a 100lb. more total imo.