1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Seems like you could squat correctly and add heavy leg presses or squat high and add glute bridges... both options seem to address your concern.

3 people like this.
  2. jarude

jarude Senior member

After a few weeks of only front squatting and ghrs, my thighs are just about as wide as my shoulders (0).

I'm pleasantly surprised by the effect front squats have had on my upper back, though. Pitiful compared to doing literally any meaningful rowing but I'm sorta-kinda hanging on to whatever I had going on before.

2 people like this.
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What part of your upper back did front squats grow?

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Alright, well personally I would try to squat at a better depth even if that forced me to lower the weights. I don't think using lower weight with bigger ROM will lead to muscle loss from less weight on the bar if that's what you're trying to say. Going deeper will cause more stress on the muscles with the same weight, so lowering the weight and using bigger ROM might tax the muscles exactly the same as before or even more. The muscle don't know how much weight is on the bar. They only know how hard they perceive the weight. That's the same reason you would use way less weight on the bar than what you could handle on regular squats and increase the difficulty with tempo, pauses, stances widths and still induce hypertrophy.

If you think the lower weight with more depth feels easy, just increase the volume by adding another set or two. You could add another lift as VLSI said, but if you feel the limitation is in your hips, make sure that new lifts is geared towards strengthening your hips, like sumo DLs.
    And yeah, hips will be brought more into the lift when you go deep. Are you flexible in your hip flexors, quads, groin, etc? Try DeFrancos Limber 11 for a quick self diagnosis.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. jarude

jarude Senior member

I wouldn't say "grow" but rather "atrophied less." Lower traps mostly

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

kk. I think front squats are my answer to everything right now. Need to run them hard for 6 months.

1 person likes this.
  7. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I'm pretty flexible due to yoga. It actually feels really hard at that weight, but if it's using the same muscles that's good. I thought it was using different muscles when you go below parallel.

8. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

It stands to reason that if i'm eating below maintenance, i'll still lose weight right? Going away for the weekend, so won't be able to track macros, but I can keep an eye on how much I eat... that's something. Just gonna try to keep protein high, not too much carbs, and fat.

9. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

You can feel that the glutes, hamstrings and hips get more active when yo go below parallel, but I'm not sure whether the quads get more, less or the same stimulus. Either way, if you don't address your squat depth now you'll have to do it later. High squats put more tension on the knee joint than squats to depth too. Better to fix your form as soon as you an, imo.

Sounds about right. When I can't cook for myself and have no direct control of the macros, I tend to go for higher protein and watch out on the carbs and fats. That's where most of the hidden calories are. Stuff like sugar, cooking oils, cream (or any diary) and flour are very hard to determine the amounts of imo, especially virtually impossible when used is dishes like soups, casseroles and the like.

One weekend won't matter much but if you want to really be sure of the macros, I'd pick food thats easy to get the macros of by just looking, say like a steak instead of pulled meat and potato wedges instead of mashed potatoes and limit soups and sauces.

1 person likes this.
  10. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Yeah, I think it's going to be a mostly protein and alcohol diet haha... hopefully won't set me back too much.

11. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Give yourself the weekend off. You aren't going to gain 5 lbs of fat in two days.

5 people like this.
  12. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Exactly. Be smart with your food consumption and you won't blow up over the weekend. It'd be different if you are competing when every last calorie matters.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

So if I'm loosing a lb a week and now want to start to maintain. I just add 500 calories per day to what I've usually been eating? That would put me over maintenance on lifting days and slightly under on off days, which I guess sounds right.

14. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

In my opinion i'd start slower than 500 calories, maybe half of that and see how I respond. Don't know if it's broscience, but don't want the sudden surplus to shock your body and begin storing excess calories as fat.

2 people like this.
  15. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Yeah, this is also true

16. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Lowbar squats having some good influence on my main lifts. Used to never be able to stand up with heavy cleans if I didn't get the bounce at the bottom, but managed 140kg hang clean even after pausing for a moment to get in proper position.

Also, grinding out a snatch dead lift at 180kg really puts into perspective just how strong the elite guys are who are snatching that much.

1 person likes this.
  17. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Yes, snatch deadlift are a special kind of fun/hard :D

18. js4design

js4design Senior member

Switched from SS to a variation of Greyskull LPabout a month ago and it has helped move my squat and deadlift up. Here is the current setup-

Mon, Fri - workout A
    squats - warm up, 1x5@100%, 2x5@80%
    bench - warm up, 3x5
    curl - 3x10
    incline db bench - 3x10
    incline cable fly - 3x10
    seated db curl - 3x10

Wed - workout B
    deadlift - warm up, 1x5@100%, 2x5@80%
    standing ohp - warm up, 3x5
    bent over rows - warm up, 3x5
    chin up - 3x10
    ab work

I still do squats and dl first on their respective days, but only 1 set of 5 at max and then 2 sets of 5 at 80% of the first set. This has kept me from being too gassed for the other lifts. I've moved my long stalled OHP up 10 lbs, and I think my bench should be moving up too (currently moving back towards my max after a reset). That is my weakest big movement right now, and I'm hoping the extra work will help add the 20lbs to my bench to get where I want to be (1.5/2/2.5 on the big 3). Extra arm work is just because summer is coming.

It seems to be working well for me, but any critique would be welcomed.

19. virus646

virus646 Senior member

That's your only problem right there. DON'T CHANGE anything if it's working :foo: Keep pushing and come back in a few months/week if you are having issues.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

i'd replace the arm work with 4 more squat variations. How are you gonna grow your arms if you only squat twice a week?

3 people like this.