Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

I lifted weights in high school, and while my diet was shit so I made no gains, I did learn that safety and proper form was #1, over the four times I got injured (three in the left knee, one in the neck). The last injury made me quit. Injury is the only thing I can see that will make me stop this bulk, so I am going slow on the programming and only switching to a new heavier weight when I can do a very good round of whatever I am doing in form.

I'm not running at all right now, low impact cardio ftw. My knees are my weak points.

2. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

overtraining?

* Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy - check
    * Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains - check
    * Pain in muscles and joints
    * Sudden drop in performance - check
    * Insomnia - check
    * Headaches
    * Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats) - check or it might be AIDS
    * Decrease in training capacity / intensity - check
    * Moodiness and irritability - check
    * Depression - check
    * Loss of enthusiasm for the sport - check
    * Decreased appetite - big check
    * Increased incidence of injuries.
    * A compulsive need to exercise

which is tighter, otter-tight or eason-tight?

I mean clothes.

I'm only working out 3 days a week though, but I'm in there for 90 minutes or so each time going beasty "balls to the wall".

3. jpb

jpb Well-Known Member

A month ago I finally found a place my son can do trampolining, his dream since he was old enough to start jumping on the bed. The place offers parent/child sessions so I did it too. It's the most fun I've ever had in a gym and a solid workout. I highly recommend it.

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

overtraining? * Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy * Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains * Pain in muscles and joints * Sudden drop in performance * Insomnia * Headaches * Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats) * Decrease in training capacity / intensity * Moodiness and irritability * Depression * Loss of enthusiasm for the sport * Decreased appetite * Increased incidence of injuries. * A compulsive need to exercise http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/o.../aa062499a.htm i at one stage had nearly all of the symptoms, but its hard to be self aware to realize that, as it creeps up on you i now take a week or 2 off every couple of months..its more preemptive than anything else also ppl are reluctant to take a break as they are addicted to the gym/workout ''i cant miss a day, my clothes are going to be loose on me, and i want them ''otter'' tight, ok''
    People give this guy a lot of shit, but, well, wow. This describes me perfectly. I should take some time off, or at least eat more--I'm doing Ripptoe's on top of having a fairly decent level of strength, but I know I'm not eating nearly enough. College + vegetarianism makes eating for strength training really fucking difficult.

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I usually get overtrained/sick as a result of cutting down food intake. When I'm trying to bulk up, I eat a lot of food and all goes well, but when I start tapering down my appetite, I tend to lose it all together and I end up feeling sick and weak.

6. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Two weeks into madcow 5x5 as of today. Really liking it so far. The past year or so I've been pretty much just bullshitting around, doing straight sets of 5x5 of whatever I felt like on whatever days I felt like. It feels good to be back on a program - don't have to think at all. Also because the sets are ramping instead of straight I'm doing a lot less work (tonnage decrease) which has made me feel a lot more like working on my mobility/flexability.

Squatting every workout (3x a week) is kind of rough though. Have some pretty good tendon/ligament soreness in my legs, especially in the lower hamstrings. Little muscle soreness though - is this something to be concerned about?

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I usually get overtrained/sick as a result of cutting down food intake. When I'm trying to bulk up, I eat a lot of food and all goes well, but when I start tapering down my appetite, I tend to lose it all together and I end up feeling sick and weak.
    I've been cutting down food intake by accident, mostly just because I don't get that hungry when I'm working and I generally and eat at odd hours (I'm on break but staying on campus, so my eating schedule's really erratic.)

8. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Put your program in here, eason.

9. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I've been doing basically otter's program:

Day 1:
    4 sets wide grip chins superset with seated/cable row
    4 sets close grip chins superset with bent over row
    (for these, every other week I do wide grip pull-ups instead of chin-ups. instead of close grip chins, sometimes I do neutral grip pullups)

5 sets machine shoulder press superset with DB lateral raises
    4 sets upright rows superset with 4 sets shrugs

200 total reps of abs

Day 2: (2 days rest later)
    5 sets incline bench (somewhat of a warmup)
    4 sets flat bench superset with flys one week, with DB press the next
    4 sets dips to failure superset with pushups (usually can't do more than 15 lol)

3 sets standing curls superset with overhead tricep ext.
    3 sets preacher curls superset with french press
    calve killers (bodyweight on elevated surface, 10 reps on one leg, hold 10 seconds, 9 reps, hold 9 seconds, down to 0 for each leg)

Day 3: (after 1 full day rest)
    6 sets squats superset with leg extensions, last set as a drop set for squats
    5 sets leg press. Make them single-leg presses if you feel froggy
    5 sets stiff leg DL superset with hamstring curls

10. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

I've been doing basically otter's program:

Day 1:
    4 sets wide grip chins superset with seated/cable row
    4 sets close grip chins superset with bent over row
    (for these, every other week I do wide grip pull-ups instead of chin-ups. instead of close grip chins, sometimes I do neutral grip pullups)

5 sets machine shoulder press superset with DB lateral raises
    4 sets upright rows superset with 4 sets shrugs

200 total reps of abs

Day 2: (2 days rest later)
    5 sets incline bench (somewhat of a warmup)
    4 sets flat bench superset with flys one week, with DB press the next
    4 sets dips to failure superset with pushups (usually can't do more than 15 lol)

3 sets standing curls superset with overhead tricep ext.
    3 sets preacher curls superset with french press
    calve killers (bodyweight on elevated surface, 10 reps on one leg, hold 10 seconds, 9 reps, hold 9 seconds, down to 0 for each leg)

Day 3: (after 1 full day rest)
    6 sets squats superset with leg extensions, last set as a drop set for squats
    5 sets leg press. Make them single-leg presses if you feel froggy
    5 sets stiff leg DL superset with hamstring curls

What is this program for? Also, what's your opinion on treating core as a normal muscle group? IE 4x12 for 3 or 4 exercises. IMO I see much better results with this when combined with carb cycling/similar shit as opposed to mega-reps for abs

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

What's the program for? Well... size and strength probably? My problem with doing core as a normal muscle group is that my gym lacks the equipment to do such a thing. However, the person with the most situation abs is my brother, and he got that way by doing 500 reps of abs when he did them, V-ups, windshield wipers, all kinds of things. To be honest though I don't care about my abs much, I'll focus on them when I'm happy with the rest of me.

12. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

What's the program for? Well... size and strength probably? My problem with doing core as a normal muscle group is that my gym lacks the equipment to do such a thing. However, the person with the most situation abs is my brother, and he got that way by doing 500 reps of abs when he did them, V-ups, windshield wipers, all kinds of things. To be honest though I don't care about my abs much, I'll focus on them when I'm happy with the rest of me.

Size and strength aren't mutually exclusive. Most of the time its best to focus on one or the other.

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

No, they aren't mutually exclusive. Will it make you happy if I call it a size workout?

14. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

No, they aren't mutually exclusive. Will it make you happy if I call it a size workout?
    Bubububububbut I've been gaining strength and not size... [​IMG] Rosenburg- it's a workout. Lots of working out followed by plenty of rest time. Is there anything more that needs to be said? Incidentally, the biggest and strongest core that I've ever seen in person belonged to a kid who did a little jig like so: 10 situps 10 situps to either knee (20 total) 10 crunches 10 crunches with legs extended horizontally a small high above the ground 10 crunches with legs extended vertically 10 second rest 10 4 count leg lifts 10 4 count bicycles 10 4 count frog kicks 10 4 count russian twists 10 second rest 30 seconds of a position where both your legs and back are small high off of the ground He did that three times, twice a week. When it was easy enough, he upped the reps by 5 and the duration of the cross by 15 seconds. I'm not sure if there's anything special about it, but I made some pretty incredible strength progress in a very short period of time. Edit: strength being fairly general, my max set of situps in 2 minutes increased fairly dramatically, and I increased the amount of weight I used for leg raises faster than I had on any other program.

15. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Damn there's no need to get all defensive. Mass workouts and strength workouts aren't the same, as much as people would like them to be. Busting your ass is a big part of both but I wasn't trying to call anybody out. All these pre-programmed workouts are ok to try but not everything works for everyone