1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

The food is questionable, but the oil will be ok... this is what you're doing with a seasoned cast iron pan. When you reheat the pan it kills whatever's on there.

1 person likes this.
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I don't think my damn gym has a hack squat machine. I really like those though. I was doing goblet squats for a bit too.

Maybe a little bit. I'd have to start off super light and see how they feel. I used to love doing 1 arm kb jerks and stuff. I'm not sure that the 'stomp' required is going to be all that great.

And oh woah. I just realized that this was you. Sup!

Takes a bit to get used to and your shoulders hurt for a bit afterwards, but if you ramp up the weight right you'll settle right in. I found it wasn't that uncomfortable.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Sweet. My arm was in a sling for awhile when I hurt my A/C joint a few weeks ago, that's what I did. Just start low, smolov on SSB gets heavy real fast.

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Like you said I wouldn't start with regular back squats and dealifts until you feel ready, but you could try some less back intensive versions of the lifts in the meantime.

You could try light front squats and zerchers. Both of those will really learn you how to stabilize the core in a squatting movement.

For deadlifts you could start off with trap bar deadlifts if you have access to one of those bars. Light sumo deadlifts from blocks (the weights are elevated on the blocks, not you) could maybe also work. A sumo deadlift is less harsh on the back than a conventional deadlift and with the weights elevated, you won't have to bend as much forward

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Black and white makes everything better

[​IMG]

Why with a 5 plate deadlift do I not have swole spinal erectors?

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Is there a cheap 2.5-3" 13MM belt?

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Vid of 5 plate deadlift or it didn't happen

8. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

One of the certified broscientrainers at my gym was telling me that even though I've maintained/gained strength on mycut, I could still be losing muscle mass. Is this true?

9. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

^ He's probably just referring to the fact that there is not a direct relationship between strength and muscle mass. That said, if you're maintaining/gaining strength on a cut, that's usually a good indication that you're keeping most--if not all--of your lbm. So I wouldn't lose any sleep over what brotrainer told you. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. jarude

jarude Senior member

When you lose weight, some of it is unavoidably lbm; how much it is depends on training, calorie intake, etc. At least how I understand it anywyas

1 person likes this.
  11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Mark its literally scientifically impossible to gain muscle while eating under maintenance. You loose some, even of its a small amount despite doing everything right. I've still been setting prs but prob because the 20lbs I lost is 20lbs less i gotta squat and my bench is still novice so it should always go up. Your capacity for volume should decrease and weight lifted should stay on the main lifts. 5x5 isn't much volume tho, my 4x10 1x12 is very hard

12. Eason

Eason Senior member

5x5 is a lot of volume on a compound lift. If you're cutting I'd go to 3x5 but keep the intensity.

2 people like this.
  13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I guess depends if you can still get well sore from 3 x 5. I gotta do 4 x 5 then 2 x 6 on my higher volume days in order to still increase work capacity. Whatever works for you, I was told that on a cut the name of the game is to get sore and if you're not completely sore the next day (with the capacity to recover before the next muscle group day comes along) then you dun fucked up.

14. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

If you cross arm, in front of your collar bone and behind your front delts. Extend your shoulders as far forward as you can. Even with babby delts, there is a little groove the bar sits in.

15. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Possibly. Water and glycogen are muscle mass too.

16. fuji

fuji Senior member

Where is this science? inb4 closed system bullshit physics.

17. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Besides what the other guys here have said, you're gains in the lifts may also come down to either better technique (pretty likely since you're more accustomed to a lift the longer you've been training for) or by cheating with the technique (also likely as you're so set on making PRs that you push more reps out that may be uglier).

Without the use of drugs and with a bigger caloric deficit, you're prob gonna lose some lbm. Personally, I think you're volume is extreme and unnecessarily high for a deficit. The analogy I often use is to think of the training session as digging yourself down into a hole (muscle protein breakdown). The more volume, the deeper the hole. Your rest, caloric intake and genetics (and drugs) are the deciding factor for how high you can climb out of that hole when the training session is over (recovery and muscle protein synthesis = the muscle you grow). If you dig yourself down too deep with too much volume and don't have the caloric intake, rest, genetics and drugs to make that up you're gonna get weaker and lose muscle, while you still actually can continue to lose fat.

With that said, I don't consider your caloric intake very low yet. Its in fact pretty high for being able to lose 1 pound a week, so right now you should be pretty safe. Later in the cut I would lower the volume.

18. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

What do you do about caloric timing during cutting phases?

Eat a smaller breakfast and lunch, shake 2 hrs pre workout, and then eat a larger meal post workout? Timing more nutrients post workout would probably allow you to keep a slightly larger caloric deficit without losing too much lean mass. During normal day to day stuff, you're not working off protein anyway so if you replenish and then some pre/post workout...

20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

hitting your calories macros is far more important than meal timing.

1 person likes this.