1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

After finishing my workout today I was waiting around for my friend to show up so I decided to do my unis powerlifting competition. Kind of shit because you can't use any kind of wraps or deadlift sumo and you have to squat ass to grass. Also everyones totals are separated into the 300kg club, 400kg club and 500kg club so there's no real point in doing like a 460kg total so I just put up 400kg very easily. 140kg squat, 90kg bench, 170kg deadlift woooo. Does this mean I'm a powerlifter now? Will attempt 500kg when I'm fresh in a couple months time. Probably go something like 170/110/220.

Also if anyone is interested generation iron is up on youtube, the full movie.

lul Kai Green talking about not having good genetics is this real life.

This movie is hilarious. It's so overly trying to be masculine "I'll eat dirt if I have to eat dirt to win this show", I don't think that's really relevant eating dirt isn't gonna help you make gains branch, I'd eat dirt for the $200k or whatever they win.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

Found some selvage 501 stfs for 40bux today at marshalls, pretty happy I found them. Also found some pretty sweet fila compression-type shorts that dont outline my balls when I'm squatting; always a plus in a gym that's 95% women in group classes.

Training around the elbow has resulted in some pretty funny looking movements... I look like I'm doing bondage exercises. Doing rear Delt flyes, pullovers and rows on a cable machine with stirrups fastened above the elbow looks stupid as fuck but hey it keeps me pumped. Feels bad cutting and being smaller than I was last year at this time but I was talking to a trainer who dislocated his elbow and had a 6month healing process too and he was pretty reassuring in convincing me that strength will come back pretty fast.

Still stings when I see dudes who lift in public/hearing lady friends in the social circle mire on curlbrahs knowing I should be at their level, but eh... Happy than I can still squat at least. Trex mode here I come.

3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

If I don't have access to a platform and barbells what's a good dumbbell substitute for deadlifts and squats. I've been doing lat pull downs and bar rows (they're like preacher curl bars. the ones that are zig zaggy) for back, but for legs I can only think of goblet squats and using the press machine, which I don't particularly like

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

What size Jarude? I got some 501 in size 36 from JCPenny for nearly nothing in a good color, waist is super big but thighs fit well.

I'm dealing with minor lower back weirdness, it's on my left side which has been my issue side on my hip. Mine has similarities as yours, gets worse when I sit for a while, no pain during any constant movement, But yea sore and achy. Hasn't effected my lifting yet but decided I should start working on it now before it does. My anterior hip on that side seems to always get tight no matter how much hip mobility I do, it doesn't help that my quads and hips are constantly sore from my squat day. I found that my psoas is extremely tender, I could barely have my friend hold it down while putting my leg through ROM. So I'm going to work on that then do the hip reset thing that's in the mobility WOD book every day.

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Good job to both of you. I'm right around the same range right now, going to hit my 5x5x325 tonight. I too remember struggling and feeling like a boss hitting a 1rm @315.

6. Coldsnap

Squatting 315 x 5 at the end of this cycle, then dropping volume on my squat day to focus on getting my bench from 185 - 215 and press to 150.

7. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Holy hell, I did 5x5 cleans at the end of my workout for the first time in about 4 years.

8. Coldsnap

So.. I've asked this before and never get anything decent back. What are the best bro splits out there? From what I've seen 5/3/1 still seems like the best, hit 10 on 5+ day 7 on 3+ day and 4 on 1+ day then hit the accessory work for super high volume.

9. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've had hip issues as well. My hip shifts to the right when I get fatigued on squats or when the weight is heavy. Its also the right side of the lower back that is aching. I've noticed my left hip flexor and quad is stiffer than the right and that my right side has worse ankle mobility and hip abduction. I'll look in the book. It has helped me before.

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

For the last month or so I have been doing a 4 day split... 3 upper body days and one lower

Heres the 3 upper body days

[​IMG]

Lower days I just do whatever I feel like... been alternating between power days and hypertrophy days weekly, working great

Arms are definitely catching up... I feel stupid for dismissing arm work before.

11. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Sickening bench workout today.

90kgx8, 100kgx5, 105kgx3, 110kgx2, 90kgx9

dat feel when finally beginning to have respectable bench press numbers. Using the maximum legal bench press width.

12. Coldsnap

Gotcha. I think I'm going to stick with Greg's progression because that has much higher reps, I plugged my numbers in and see what 5/3/1 would have me do and on my 5+ day it's 285lbs squat but on Greg's program I did that for 10+ reps. The big movements get me sore as hell too if I hit it with that high of volume. So I think I'll do that progression still then do one movement that compliments the big lift like dead bench and pause squat then on my assesory work I'll go super high volume and hit the glamorous muscles. So I'll look at Bench day as Chest and Tricep, Squat Legs and Abs, Press shoulder and bi, Deadlift back

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  13. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I think you should do something with more frequency. The way you've described it you'll only be benching once a week. Get on the PPL twice a week.

14. Coldsnap

I do two days of pressing a week. The way I bench though, I could bench 3x a week and it wouldn't grow what I need to grow because of the way I'm built flat bench just doesn't get my chest jacked. Here's what I wrote, feel free to critique. Same program layout but my accessory work is higher volume and most of the corrective exercise or bottom end and top end powerlifting movements is written out.

Monday Chest & Tris
    Bench three sets last set rep out until failure
    Dead Bench 6 singles (bullshit bottom end movement but it's been stupid effective in moving my bench)
    Incline Bench 4 x 10
    Db Chest flys 4 x 10
    Skull crushers 4 x 10
    Pushups 4 x Failure

Tuesday Legs & Abs
    Squat three sets last set rep out until failure
    Hip Thrusts 3 x 12
    Front Squat 4 x 10
    Leg extension 3 x 15
    Ab Wheel 4 x F
    Roman Chair 3 x F

Thursday Shoulder & Bis
    Overhead Press three sets last set rep out until failure
    Pullups throughout the workout, go for 40 reps
    Seated DB Press 4 x 10
    DB Laterals 3 x 10
    Cross cable laterals 3 x 10
    Barbell Curls 4 x 12
    Concentration Curls 4 x 12

Friday Back and Abs
    Deadlift One heavy set for reps then 3 x 5
    Snatch Grip Rack Pulls 3 x 10
    bent over rows 4 x 12
    Lat Pulldown 4 x 10
    Seated Cable Rows 4 x 10
    SSB Goodmornings 3 x 10 (Abs)
    Leg Raises 4 x F

15. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Well-Known Member

If you want to get stronger at bench you have to bench more IMO and figure out what piece of your bench chain is the hard gaining part. I would also toss DB flys in the garbage. Their tension curve sucks compared to a fly machine.

Also not sure what's going on with you calorically. Bench is hard as hell for me to gain on as well, easily my worst lift. Only started to go up once I started really eating. IIRC you were cutting or something. If you are in a deficit your worst lift will be the first to go.

I would do

Day A: chest/shoulders/triceps
    Day B: Squat or deadlift, calves, back

Get 2 A & B days in a week and sprinkle ab work in as you like. Also add in accessories to address specific weaknesses.

16. Coldsnap

Gotcha. Bench is going well actually I can bench 10lbs over bodyweight now, been going up a steadily with all my other lifts. Yea I'm down 20lbs, been eating a caloric deficit since Jan.

17. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

@Coldsnap:
    Not related to your chest progression, but if I were you I'd swap places for the snatch grip rack pulls and front squats.

I know that I get better progression in movements when I split them up over different days rather than doing two very similar right after eachother. I would be able to do heavier rack pulls after squats than after deadlifts and heavier front squats after deads than after squats. The same thing goes for all your pulling accessory on deadlift day. I think its unnecessary to hit the lats with three different types of rows. You're doing 12 sets of for the lats, which seems unnecessary. You prob get enough stimulation after two, maybe even one lat pull for 4 sets. So I'd swap one or two lat pulls over to squat day as well.

Theoretically, that gives you the benefit of training and getting growth in the squat or pull muscles enough two times rather than very much once. You would also recover better from doing less volume for a muscle often than a shit ton at once.

18. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

What's a power or hyper bench?

Also any recs for subs for barbell squats and deadlifts?

19. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Flat bench sucks for hypertrophy. I would consider myself to have a pretty decent bench with my all time 1rn at 335 lbs and my chest always grew faster with slight incline db press.

20. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

killing yourself