1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Alright RHET, wondering if I could get some feedback on my current workout/diet plan. Pretty long post ahead.

Height: 6' 5"
    Weight: 216-220 lbs
    Measurements: not sure how this is typically done, but I'm about a 44.5" chest, 38" midsection, 39" hips. I have really high and big hips. My legs and arms are very long. Unfortunately, I'm on the road right now and don't have a tape measure.

For some history, I'd say I've been lifting regularly since May 2011. That was after shoulder surgery for a torn labrum. Back then, I was around 210 lbs or so. Somehow, I ended up at 200 lbs 19 months ago. I had shoulder surgery again for a torn labrum on my other shoulder 15 months ago. After recovery, I was around 210 lbs and skinny fat. I started lifting heavily again 10 months ago, this time taking it more seriously. Now I would estimate that I'm around the same body fat % as when I was 200 lbs, just a lot stronger. I used to just go to the small workout facility at my apartment complex; now I go to a regular gym. It's has your standard dumbbells, barbells, weight machines, lots of cardio machines. It has yoga classes and such also. Basically your standard gym, I guess. It has mostly LifeFitness equipment.

I have 6 different workouts I rotate through, lifting 5-6 days a week. I lift 45-60 minutes with 3 sets of 5-10 reps to failure each time. I try to focus on good form to make sure I avoid injury, doing exercises slowly. I don't have a whole lot of trust in my shoulders due to my two surgeries. I used to dislocate them easily (5x for one, over 15x for the other). I even once dislocated a shoulder stupidly doing barbell shoulder press behind my neck. Thankfully, I haven't had a dislocation since my surgeries, but I'd rather not push things. Here are examples of my typical workouts.

Chest
    Incline dumbbell press
    Machine pec flies
    Iso-lateral bench press (Hammer machine)
    Incline dumbbell flys
    Iso-lateral incline press (Hammer machine)
    Cable pec flies
    Cable chest press
    Pushups

Back
    Pullups
    Dumbbell rows
    Lat pulldown
    Cable rows
    Assisted pullups
    Dumbbell pullovers

Legs
    Leg extension (machine)
    Leg curls (machine)
    Calf (machine)
    Squats (http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/hammerstrength/plateloaded/lowerbodytorso/vsquat.html)
    Leg curls (different machine)
    One-legged weighted calf raises
    Incline leg press (http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/hammerstrength/plateloaded/lowerbodytorso/linearlegpress.html)

Shoulders
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Dumbbell lateral raise
    Dumbbell shrugs
    Reverse flies (machine)
    Cable shoulder press
    Something where I start with a cable at my opposite hip, arm extended, pull it to a position with my arm at a 45 degree angle
    Shoulder press (Hammer machine)

Arms
    Dumbbell curls
    Dips
    Curls (machine)
    Skullcrushers
    Reverse barbell curls (palms down)
    Tricep extension (machine)
    Barbell curls
    Cable tricep extension

Abs
    Windshield wipers (hang from a bar, raise legs up, move legs slowly in reverse pendulum range of motion)
    Ab crunches (machine)
    Weighted bicycles
    Leg raises

Cardio (done in addition to regular lifting)
    Usually elliptical, sometimes running
    20-30 minutes after lifting on ab days
    40 minutes after lifting on my other workouts if it’s the weekend or an afternoon, unless it was a leg day. I don’t do cardio after leg days. I typically get in 2 of these 40 minute sessions per week.

I don’t do the standard bench press, deadlift, or squats, mainly because I’m deathly afraid of injuring myself. Best reference I can provide is that I typically start my chest days with incline dumbbell press using 80 lbs on my first set and go down from there. Curls, I start at 50 lbs. Legs, I can do 360 lbs i.e. 4 plates each side on that “v-squat” machine above without too much trouble. I can do 540 lbs on that incline leg press machine at the end of my workout when my legs are pretty tired already, and I might try around 600 soon.

I have been following a low carb diet for about 8 months now. It seems like ever since I started it, my gains have been far faster. Eggs and bacon/sausage for breakfast. Grilled chicken and salad for lunch. Grilled steak/chicken/fish, vegetables, and salad for dinner. Nuts, beef jerky, cheese for snacks. I also drink a lot of coffee. I plugged everything into myfitnesspal to see my nutrition totals for a typical day. Snacks includes 72 g of protein from whey protein.

Calories

Carbs

Fat

Protein

Sodium

Sugar
    Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snacks

Totals

This might overstate the number of sugar and carbs for lunch, since I make a homemade BBQ sauce with stevia instead of sugar. Otherwise, that’s basically what I eat Monday through Friday. On Saturday and Sunday, I have a late breakfast, skip lunch, and eat more snacks. Friday and Saturday you can add a good amount of beer and alcohol. I avoid drinking during the week unless it’s a special occasion. If I’m going out to eat (typically once or twice a week) I don’t worry about avoiding carbs.

In my experience, if I follow this I easily maintain or lose weight slowly. If I deviate from it, e.g. when I’m on the road, eat out more frequently, or drink more than usual, I start gaining weight. Is that crazy, eating over 3000 calories per day and not being fat?

So in the end and if you made it this far, I’m just looking for some general feedback on my plan. I’m very satisfied with my progress over the last 10 months of more serious lifting. I’m vastly stronger and my friends, family, and girls notice and comment on it. I don’t have any interest in competition or bodybuilding, I just want to look good. I wouldn’t want to go through cycles of bulking and cutting; buying all new shirts the last few months has been enough of an annoyance. Working out is also a time where I listen to podcasts, actually listen to music rather than having it on in the background, or read (on my Kindle on elliptical). I guess what I’m saying is I don’t have any specific goals and I'm happy just progressing as I have been.

I’d really appreciate any feedback I could get. Is there anything I should consider changing to get better results? Does anything I wrote above jump out as a red flag or leave you scratching your head?

2. Towers

Towers Senior member

Anybody have reccos for gym shorts? All of mine are basically thrashed and need to be replaced, i like cotton blends because i find they don't get the sour funk that 100% synthetics do, obv. need enough room to squat without rustling my jimmies but also without being so baggy that bishes cant bertstare my tight ass.

I'm thinking of just ordering 10 pairs of something like this and just tossing them after a few months which i would be reluctant to do with something more expensive.

3. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

All good and well if this works for you, but I have no clue how you guys can go low carb without feeling like shit....
    BTW Junk food is awesome in moderation....

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Ketawa looks like too much volume. Im also personally not a fan of 1x a week bro workouts. I would do an upper body workout 2x/wk and a lower body workout 1-2x/week. Also since you are so tall and lanky (no swipes) you might want to switch to dumbbells for all your pressing movements so your shoulders can live. I'm also in the "need carbs to live" camp... carbs are such a better source of energy than fat, plus I never understood how people could cut down eating half a lb of fat of day. Human body is designed for carbs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Got some new whey that's really low carb/fat. Tastes good, too. Gonna give my Syntha-6 away because I'm never eating it again prob. Also bought creatine in 2.5g capsules, much more expensive but worth it if it allows me to actually take it consistently.

Hurt my back squatting on Saturday, on a warm up set of all things. Luckily just a tweaked muscle, no spinal issues. It's already feeling much better, but I'm gonna give it a couple of days to a week before getting back in the gym.

Girlfriend's actually motivating me now - she's going to her trainer twice a week, is meticulously counting her calories, goes swimming a lot now for fun/workout on off days, and also hits the gym separately. She's been losing 1.6 lbs/wk for the last 7 weeks, so down 11.2 lbs. Fucking killing it. She told me the other day after she cuts down, she wants to start training to compete in power lifting. :inlove:

6. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I would recommend reddit bodyweight fitness to the bruce lee guy and a balanced diet with more carbs and less sodium to saltbro.

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

You seem to have the exercises you like doing, just work your favorites into a 3 or 4 day split (I like Back+bi's/Chest+tri's/Legs+shoulders). Just keep bulking on a 300-500 cal/day surplus until you get fatter than you want to, then cut down. Sorry not sorry you don't like buying new shirts but that's what "looking better" makes you do. Keep your shit that you grow out of because it might still fit you post-cut.

That's what I do. http://www.essentialapparel.com/russell-athletic-mens-baseline-pocket-short.html they're nothing to write home about but whatever they're shorts.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Went back to my old gym for a workout this weekend just for shits and giggles. Got mad compliments from old gym bros regarding cutting success. feelsgoodman. down 10 lbs, another 15-20 to go.

also im down for interthread challenges, could be fun.

1 person likes this.
  9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

considering squats are one of the few things i can actually do, i'd be down for a squat-for-reps challenge.

10. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

My gym did that challenge. Most of the trainers scored in the 45-50 zone. I had to squat 275 for 32 reps that day, which is a good 90lbs over my bodyweight. So I just did that, I wanted to die and was sore for 4 days after.

12. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  13. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Thanks for the advice all, will look into it and possibly make some changes.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Will post video attempting bw on wednesday. It'll be grim.

George Leeman posting some weird shit on fb

"I can feel it, the unlimited energy that just sits inside me begging, demanding, to be unleashed on a worthy weight. I can feel it waiting to flood my entire body, thinking of my passion makes the adrenalin cup overflow and I can feel the waves flowing through me leaving trails of goosebumps covering me. The feeling of power, the extreme self expression, the freedom iam allowed if only in the weight room, I live for it. My passion isnt lifting, its power, its adrenalin, its a surreal journey to a goal that makes life worth living. I dont lift weights, I lift my soul out of the depths of modern day lifes restraints, i dont build my body i build my dreams. I have been living a dream since I was 15 years old, battling demons on a daily basis since then, striving towards a goal as grand to me as any fictional story. Live with purpose, and since you get to decide your own purpose make that purpose to achieve your dreams, and watch as your life slowly transforms into a epic journey towards self fulfillment and self respect.

we do far more than train, we do far move than just move things around, we decide who we are, we decide our reality, and I dont know about you but Im going to build my reality into my childhood dreams and im loving the journey.

if theres one thing I could share with you all, it would be my ability to dream and make those dreams my reality.there isnt a single positive thing in my life that i didnt first desire, dream about, and believe I would achieve long before I ever had the means to justify such dreams.

believe in your self, and if you cant, just become delusional. I had to be delusional for years before anyone recognized I could do the things I knew I always could.

let reading this change your life in the way these things have always changed my life, i want for you all what I have, because honestly, its amazing."

I don't think I battled any demons doing my rear delt flys today man.

15. canstyleace

16. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

body weight

17. canstyleace

18. fuji

fuji Senior member

As in the body weight squat challenge so 200lb for reps.

1 person likes this.
  19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Did that a while back, 4 min only though and hit 40.

(I weigh 200lbs).

20. knucks

knucks Senior member

fuji is on? why do you look like you never picked up a weight? thought you were jacked and tan bro

1 person likes this.