Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

2-3 minutes is a really short rest for the compounds. I never go less than 5 minutes, usually closer to 8.

2. Dean Keaton

Dean Keaton Well-Known Member

still alive and kickin' and feeling better than ever [​IMG]

no idea about my pancreas. but I'll tell ya my liver has been doing a lot better in the past few months.. at least that's what my blood tests tell me. I guess that's what happens when you go from 50+ to <7 drinks per week.

well, in my case, a little over 3 days worth of food [​IMG]

but same, I don't see it being that big a deal

I just asked because recently so many people talk about the glycemic index, and low carbs diets - since carbs put so much pressure on your pancreas, especially eating so much at once. But if you feel allright, then well - keep it going [​IMG]

3. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

How long does everyone rest between sets? I've kicked it up to three minutes for the big lifts, but try to keep it around two minutes for shit like bicep/tricep exercises.

for smaller movements, I usually have about 3-5 minute breaks.

for heavy compound movements, at least 5-7.. sometimes up to 12.

I've stalled out on my squat, so I want to try box squats tonight. As well equipped as my gym is, flat benches are the only things around I could conceivably use as the "box." Bad idea?

not a "bad idea" but I think just dropping the poundage and doing paused squats would carry over better. you could try some zercher squats too. those are fun.

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I try to stick to ~2 minutes for anything upper body related, and then maybe 4 or so minutes for stuff like DLs etc.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

Did proper squats in a power cage for the fist time today and my max is lower then my seated over had press max. I need to work on my lower body more.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

Did proper squats in a power cage for the fist time today and my max is lower then my seated over had press max. I need to work on my lower body more.

Bro-Physique spotted!!!

and it's official, we've been invaded. Either some great trolls or epic fails going on right now.

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

keep working on them and your squat numbers will shoot way past your ohp numbers very soon

9. APK

APK Senior member

for smaller movements, I usually have about 3-5 minute breaks.

for heavy compound movements, at least 5-7.. sometimes up to 12.

I guess I don't feel so bad about going a touch over three minutes for the bigger movements. I'm going to up the rest periods for those types of things and see if they have any positive impact.

not a "bad idea" but I think just dropping the poundage and doing paused squats would carry over better. you could try some zercher squats too. those are fun.

I'm not sure what happened, but I had to duck out after I buckled on the ascent during my first set at 225. My working sets for the squat have gotten progressively worse since hitting 225 a few weeks ago. So yeah, I'm going drop the poundage after tonight's abysmal showing.

Does anyone do any additional exercises specifically to help strengthen the key areas utilized in the back squat?

Somewhat related, but I felt this pinching in my right trap when I had the barbell across my back. I don't feel that at all during any other exercises, nor is it something I feel throughout the day. It was only when I saddled up with the barbell across my back did the pinching resume.

10. APK

APK Senior member

Other stuff:

- There's this burly chick I occasionally see in the weight room who deads at least two plates, if not more. She even brings her own chalk.

- I just got some more BCAA's with an 8:1:1 BCAA ratio. Anyone know if that means I can lower the typically recommended dosage for the peri-workout period?

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

I'm not sure what happened, but I had to duck out after I buckled on the ascent during my first set at 225. My working sets for the squat have gotten progressively worse since hitting 225 a few weeks ago. So yeah, I'm going drop the poundage after tonight's abysmal showing.

Does anyone do any additional exercises specifically to help strengthen the key areas utilized in the back squat?

Somewhat related, but I felt this pinching in my right trap when I had the barbell across my back. I don't feel that at all during any other exercises, nor is it something I feel throughout the day. It was only when I saddled up with the barbell across my back did the pinching resume.

What's your sticking point? Are you good-morning-ing the weight up? Hard to get out of the hole? Either way, I'd +1 on the paused squats like chariy mentioned - I see a lot of them in the logs at IA and the going seems pretty good there. Assuming you're still doing the SPBR, what ham movement are you doing after the squats?

12. theom-

theom- Senior member

Anyone who plays competive sports know about nitric oxide for games? I've definitely heard of its use for lifting, but I play water polo and I want to know if it would be worth it to take pre-game.

13. APK

APK Senior member

What's your sticking point? Are you good-morning-ing the weight up? Hard to get out of the hole? Either way, I'd +1 on the paused squats like chariy mentioned - I see a lot of them in the logs at IA and the going seems pretty good there. Assuming you're still doing the SPBR, what ham movement are you doing after the squats?

No, I've got the bar set up in front of me at about shoulder level (a touch lower, in fact). Then I just duck under, situate the barbell and then take a step or two back. I'm not finding it difficult to get the barbell from the starting position, nor is the descent an issue. It's keeping good form on the ascent that's the trouble spot right now. I feel like I'm too aware of possible leaning forward as I rise up.

I'm following up squats with pull-throughs.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

Try doing RDLs after, they are a beastly movement. Same idea as pullthroughs, just more work.

As far as GM-ing the weight up, i mean on the ascent. In other words, are your hips rising before your shoulders? I would try and tighten up the upper back and stay back on the heels, something paused stuff will work.

15. APK

APK Senior member

Ha, thanks for clearing that up. I was tempted to asking about starting squats in the GM position, since I'd never heard of such an absurd sounding thing.

They may be. Truthfully, I find the squat to be the over-thinker's worst enemy. There are so many components of the lift that it can be almost overwhelming to think of each detailed part of the movement.

I think it was Dave Tate who wrote that when you're ascending, you want to almost do the opposite of the descent. In other words, you lead with the ass on the descent, whereas the head and shoulders should be the first parts of you that "move" as you start your way up.