1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

That Broscience is great, haven't watched a video of his in awhile. That tadpole had me laughing and relating.

Marginal, no way man. Right now deadlift and squat are 725-750lbs of my total, I have a journal of my 5/3/1 on 12-06-2012 that put my squat and deadlift total at 334lbs. I'm sure people have progressed faster, but that's pretty good for me. In that time bench went from 110 to 185, so thats sorta bleh progress heh. I had to do all that back work though, it was what rehabbed my shoulder and has given me healthy shoulders now.

edit - but yea I remember you saying something about frequency, which helped. But my shoulders were so fucked up in the beginning I could only manage to bench once a week. Genetically I'm not really built to have a hauss bench, it's going to take a lot of work and filling out to make my bench stroke shorter.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I think flyes and pushups are great accessory work. Size can def hold you back and flyes will prob get some hypertrophy going on. Pushups seem really good to learn a person how to press the bar like how you push someone IRL and to keep the scapula back through the motion. The coach I'm looking to use later on usually have flyes and pushups in his protocols.

I'm not completely sold on the connection between rows and bench, but I could be wrong. I think it has some transfer, but it seems like a more logical connection for the shirted bencher who needs really strong lats to even be able to get the bar down to his chest due to the restricting shirt. that said, I still do rows and face pulls 3x a week for shoulder health and prehab.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

I did decline bench in the smith machine with my hands at the collars today because I literally have no balls. Dat chest pump though.

RHET should I get on some phaggy time mens physique shit for summer of 2015? I think it could be quite fun.

4. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Gotta learn to utilize your lats when you bench. Flies and push ups will aid in hypertrophy but won't add pounds to your bench.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I think some good 'ol fashioned hypertrophy is what dis playa needs

6. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

My bench and dead is still stupid disproportionate to my squat. Bench 205 for reps, can DL 315 for reps, and struggle with 200 squats for reps : |

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

We need to train together bro. What do they say.. It's like it takes 1,000,000 tries of doing something to master it and like 100,000 tries to get good at it. You're probably close to the 100,000 on bench and I'm close the 100,000 on squats and deads.

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I was squatting 225 for reps but I decided to dial it back to get more depth. I struggled coming out from rock bottom at 190, so I reset again to ~160 and am climbing up by 5s. Should I do one shallower set each workout at heavier weight so I don't lose strength?

9. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I need some hypertrophy too. I have no idea why I am basically cutting but going into the gym wanting to do 1rms. The only day I have stopped doing that with is deadlift day and I am crediting my progress to that.

1 person likes this.
  10. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Probably true, whenever I used to go to the gym before I started taking lifting seriously I was a total chest and biceps brah haha, carried over from there.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What made you want to switch? higher heel?

12. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Nah, seems like a two step forward one step back way of trying to get a deeper squat.

1 person likes this.
  13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Just wanted to try it out. Feels more stable.

14. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

IMO you should stick with the deeper depth. Your body will soon adapt and be squatting the same numbers as old.

2 people like this.
  15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

cg bench in particular has been best bench builder for me, along with increased tricep work in general.

Also, I'm down 3lb (lowest recorded ever so far) over 3 days of moderate-carb primarily fast food diet after 3 day binge drinking this weekend. How? It can't be three pounds of fat, but doesn't seem like I'd lose that much water when I came home same weight I left... maybe I lost lots of gains :(

Have not back squatted all year. Currently front squatting only for 3x5x160 plus 3-4x10 leg machines.

Coldsnap, not to call you out, but the numbers you posted this morning are inconsistent with a claim you made a few weeks ago...

1 person likes this.
  16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What's a CG bench?

I realized my 1,000 total had my measly 120lbs press calculated it in, so yea inconsitent heh. I'm hitting stuff that puts me at 900 total, so who knows. I mean it's sorta hard to guess where you're at total wise when your on a high volume phase, still hitting 90% but I'm feel crazy strong and repping the shit out of it. I should probably just shut up and not claim anything until I've done my next meet, nothings done until actually done for better or worse

I think from now on, no one should believe what I say unless there is a video. Probably most of you have adapted this way of thinking heh. I actually tried to video my 250 x 12, was going to post it here but my damn phone ran out of storage half way through it.

17. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I jumped back on the IF/fasted training wave 2/17... looking back at my logs, body weight is down ~2lbs, but 3x5 bench & shoulder press are up 10lbs, 3x5 squat and deadlift are up 20lbs. Over the last 2 fucking weeks. Again we'll see what happens long term but I'm loving this shit so far. I am not trying to cut either, I'm averaging about 3000 kcal/day

1 person likes this.
  18. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Close grip

19. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Found this and felt I had an obligation to share it.
    Keep in mind that it's protein from animal sources. I just checked mine and on a day with total 200g protein with 3500 calories, only 120g protein come from animal sources, which is below 20% of total kcals.

High animal protein diets (over 20% of total kcal intake from animal protein) in your middle age quadruples your risk of getting cancer (same risk as smoking):

Quote: Low Protein Intake Is Associated with a Major Reduction in IGF-1, Cancer, and Overall Mortality in the 65 and Younger but Not Older Population. Cell Metabolism, Volume 19, Issue 3, 407-417, 4 March 2014.

Full length study:
    http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...-X?script=true

Quote:
    Foods high in animal protein have been tied to a fourfold increase in the risk of cancer death, making a diet heavy on meat and cheese nearly as deadly as smoking.
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/meat-and...r-death-270534

Quote:
    Almost everyone is going to have a cancer cell or pre-cancer cell in them at some point. The question is: Does it progress?" Longo said. "Turns out one of the major factors in determining if it does is is protein intake."
    From the press release - http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mac022814.php
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/meat-and...r-death-270534

20. cross22

cross22 Senior member

Cool, so I can enjoy my Cigars without feeling bad now...

1 person likes this.