Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Gonna try to do 6 days this week. 2 light push pull days today and tomorrow, eat like a motherfucker

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Simplified my program today, wen't back to basic starting strength with a few add ons. My old program was taking too long in the gym and my gains have been slowing recently so I'm seeing if just focusing on my strong lifts doing small reps and few sets will help.

Doing a 2 day split
    A
    Bench press 3x5
    Seated over head press 3x5
    Weighted dips 3x10
    Skull crushes 3x8
    Shrugs 3x8
    B
    Dead lifts 3x5
    Squats 3x5
    Bent over rows 3x5
    Barbell curls 3x8

3. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Awesome gym commercial. Wish there were a place like this near me.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Let's say 8k Saturdays - which could practically leave you in a deficit for the weekend, especially if you work out on Saturday's you say? You heavy lift 6 days / week maybe?

I cheat on fridays and work out fridays. only lifting heavy 4 days a week. nothing much else in terms of physical activity.

5. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Awesome gym commercial. Wish there were a place like this near me.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

[​IMG] "I just want to tone up for summer"

6. sonick

sonick Senior member

Here's the commercial that video is responding to...

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Makes me NOT want to go to Planet Fitness.

7. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

How sick is it that their entire marketing campaign is a celebration of mediocrity?

8. APK

APK Senior member

Mediocrity is an improvement for a lot of people in the context of fitness and general health.

The weight room closed early because of the holiday, so I had to do all of my lifting in the cardio area. There are thankfully some free weights in there, but space is at a premium. I had to wait one guy out for the incline bench because he was using it for a seemingly endless run of single-arm preacher curls.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

This MMA dude who used to work out at the gym I worked at, now is a member at my new gym. Cool to see the guy again, he's full of broscience but he's pretty nice. Strong too.

He turned full-on angry hispanic man and tweaked out on a trainer who worked there when the trainer left weights racked on the bench. A giant spanish dude spitting out a combination of cuss words mixed in with his native tongue while dropping a loaded bar on the ground was righteous to see. This kid went bright red in the face; hilarious.

Seriously, you work at a gym and you don't unrack the weights? Shameful...

10. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Is there anything wrong with behind-the-head pull ups? I've never had a problem with them before (doing them over 10 years), but I recently switched from doing unweighted (about 15 reps) to weighted 55 lbs and doing 5 reps.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

How sick is it that their entire marketing campaign is a celebration of mediocrity?

Let's just say that's niche marketing at its finest...

TBH though, I really don't see what are the benefits of denying your potential clients things like deadlifts or even breathing hard - isn't that just a way of conditioning the customers to not work hard, or heaven forbid, train?

On the one hand, I do know that most of the "heavy iron"-type gyms can be a little frightening to a novice lifter what with all of the retardedly strong lifters in attendance and clanging and grunting and what have you. Then again (at least in my experience), these types of places tend to be filled with somewhat knowledgeable lifters and ppl who WON'T snicker and laugh at ones efforts to begin ones lifting hobby.

I guess any encouragement for the general public to exercise more (á la Planet Fitness) is a step in the right direction, but still, weird.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

Let's just say that's niche marketing at its finest...

TBH though, I really don't see what are the benefits of denying your potential clients things like deadlifts or even breathing hard - isn't that just a way of conditioning the customers to not work hard, or heaven forbid, train?

Commercial gyms don't want you to succeed, fitness wise - they want to succeed financially.

All these places work off of memberships and member's good intentions. If you sign a membership, come in and use the facilities all the time, you're contributing to equipment depreciation, using hot water in the shower, needing staff to come in and work, etc. By signing a membership and not coming in, you're the perfect client - they get money for nothing. They don't have to pay staff, bills stay low, equipment stays in good shape, etc. Not to mention the other members love it because the gym is empty all the time. And of course, people always intend to come in and work out again, so they don't cancel their membership for weeks or months. Commercial gyms are horseshit - many of them won't even pay their membership staff commission if they don't get the customer's banking or credit information.

GF went to a premium Goodlife Fitness in the nice part of town (canucks, don't ever ever ever ever go there) to test-drive a free weeklong membership. She went every day during peak hours and the place was a ghost town - brand new everything, incredible facility, just nobody there. She got hassled every time she came in to sign a membership - to the point of where the guy was standing in front of the door, arms crossed, when she was trying to leave.

As soon as gyms get your banking information, that's it - they don't care anymore. As soon as you sign that contract, their work is done. There are random places that do have a soul - the YMCA, being a charity, is one. I worked there and the membership assistance program and community involvement are big pluses. I had beef with how they ran the show, but there was no questioning their intent. Any other place can fuck off, for reasons shown in that commercial and otherwise. I'd love to say I'm just being cynical, but its the truth - gyms really don't care about you, or making people fit. They get you in the door, you sign, that's it.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I get your point, jarude, and what you say is their business goal... but it may not be their mission; yours is too much of a blanket condemnation.

They need the business goal to succeed to achieve their mission. Now, there are plenty of gyms for whom they stop at the biz goal and never get to mission (I should say... maybe their mission IS to make more money than Croesus [​IMG] )... when I worked out at Bally's before they went bankrupt, my gym was a model example of only caring about lining their pockets... though there were staff members and one of the managers especially who DID care about people being fit... that's why they worked there.

I'm at a Gold's now... I've met the owner a few times and he works out there too... and he does genuinely seem interested in people's fitness goals... he's a geek about it. Up the corporate ladder it is ultimatly about making $$$ sure, but there is more to it.

And of course, the smaller, non-chain gyms like The Press in the Twin Cities exist purely as a pit for the pros and powerlifters to work out together... and they manage to scrape enough cash each year to keep open.

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Yea gym memberships are shady business

I too loved the Y... I went to the one in Bedstuy... a little understocked but they had what I need. And the bitches, o lawd the bitches[/G-Money]

Planet Fitness seems to be the kind of gym that doesn't have dumbbells beyond 50 lbs lol. What a waste of spacetime

Seriously if these gyms would just invest like one week to teach people how to eat right and exercise at a level of intensity worth doing they'd help their clients so much more.

15. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Yea gym memberships are shady business

Shady how?

1) Pay membership
    2) Get access to gym

All the big gyms oversell... but that's how they pay the bills as Jarude mentioned and has been mentioned by me and others here before. The guy at Gold's said about one in ten paid members actually use their membership with any regularity at all. The other 90% pay to keep the place open while they sit on the coach with a bag of donuts. Just like health insurance.

While it does make for bad crowds once a year, I'd rather that then have my membership fee go up 500%.