• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Towers

Reaction score
I'm on stay cation renoing my bathroom and have been too knackered to go to the gym all week and probably wont make it next week either. I can feel the gains slipping through my fingers, my arms are withering away as I type.

To distract me help me set a bulking goal if I want to look like cavill (6'1", 210, mid-high teens bf% currently)

Last edited:

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Charly I'm just wondering do you deload every 4th week?

Nope. Curious why you ask.

However, after every meet, I take about 8-10 weeks to just do a lot of volume. Nothing anywhere near my 1RM's at all. The progressive overload leading up to my meets are awesome for peaking but my joints need a break after such abuse heh

Also, around every 14-20 weeks of training, I'll take a week off. I usually just play it by feel. It's usually when my lifts start stalling and small injuries start to pop up.

Because its super hard to find ones that match your purse.

Can't help them all :satisfied:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nope. Curious why you ask.

However, after every meet, I take about 8-10 weeks to just do a lot of volume. Nothing anywhere near my 1RM's at all. The progressive overload leading up to my meets are awesome for peaking but my joints need a break after such abuse heh

Also, around every 14-20 weeks of training, I'll take a week off. I usually just play it by feel. It's usually when my lifts start stalling and small injuries start to pop up.
Can't help them all :satisfied:

Was just wondering. I use to deload every 4th week when I worked a 9-5 because I felt like I needed it. Now that I work from home and have the luxury of sleeping 12 hours every night and mobbing during the day I don't usually feel like I need it every 4th week. Thinking about skipping it this time and going against the Wendler, silly but when I stop over analyzing things and just follow whats in 5/3/1 for powerlifting the better I do, so I'm hesitant to take it out.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

any legit uses for a smith machine? found a stupid good deal on one with a pulldown and two independent hi/low pulleys... it'd be worth it for that alone at the price, just the only thing ive used a smith for was hanging my hoodie on lol. and inverted rows i guess

I've used it for closed grip bench and seated military/strict press before. Also there is the crazy leg press thing people do on the smith where you lay your back on the bench and put your feet on the bar to do a leg press motion.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

Clicked on thread expecting actual scuba pics, son I am disappoint.

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've used it for closed grip bench and seated military/strict press before. Also there is the crazy leg press thing people do on the smith where you lay your back on the bench and put your feet on the bar to do a leg press motion.

nice, thanks. great idea on the leg press, and i was thinking as much on the shoulder presses. gonna go pick it up tomorrow

hahahahha ******* lol

u da man

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

nice, thanks. great idea on the leg press, and i was thinking as much on the shoulder presses. gonna go pick it up tomorrow

Or just flip it to buy real equipment. Who makes it?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i don't mind the mirin... its just the smugness that they convey the "just wait, you'll see" thing with. i should just bask in the soothing warmth of their jelly as i stuff myself with burgers and ice cream, muttering "u just mirin son" between bites

but honestly, can you imagine how hilariously inappropriate it would be if you were mirin hard on some dudes new yacht and told him the only reason he was financially successful was because of his parents? even if it were true you'd be a prick

yeah i do realize how dismissive such comments are but i was trying to find the upside (which, knowing me I failed at).

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah i do realize how dismissive such comments are but i was trying to find the upside (which, knowing me I failed at).

nah man u nailed it, i spend too much time getting riled up over ***metabolism*** when i should just be enjoying the food

Or just flip it to buy real equipment. Who makes it?

nautilus. i think i want it more for the two plate-loaded pulley systems than the actual smith part itself. funny thing is the ad had the smith machine, a junk bench, and a few bars listed for the asking price. seemed like an good deal for the cost, so i inquired about it and she said "oh yeah there are some plates i will throw in too." by "some plates" she meant 400lbs, lol. done done done.

chunkmo

Reaction score
You don't need gloves, but if that's your preference then go for it. I found they make it harder to grip the bar properly and dulls the feedback .

Chalk will help your grip immensely, but if you're holding the bar wrong you'll still get calluses.

Basics of bar grip:

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Was just wondering. I use to deload every 4th week when I worked a 9-5 because I felt like I needed it. Now that I work from home and have the luxury of sleeping 12 hours every night and mobbing during the day I don't usually feel like I need it every 4th week. Thinking about skipping it this time and going against the Wendler, silly but when I stop over analyzing things and just follow whats in 5/3/1 for powerlifting the better I do, so I'm hesitant to take it out.

To be honest, people really tend to over think the deload thing and sometimes I see people doing it too often. Every 4th week is definitely too much imo.

Go forth and train hard, young padawan.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

any legit uses for a smith machine? found a stupid good deal on one with a pulldown and two independent hi/low pulleys... it'd be worth it for that alone at the price, just the only thing ive used a smith for was hanging my hoodie on lol. and inverted rows i guess
i don't mind the mirin... its just the smugness that they convey the "just wait, you'll see" thing with. i should just bask in the soothing warmth of their jelly as i stuff myself with burgers and ice cream, muttering "u just mirin son" between bites

but honestly, can you imagine how hilariously inappropriate it would be if you were mirin hard on some dudes new yacht and told him the only reason he was financially successful was because of his parents? even if it were true you'd be a prick

I do smith rows and rack pulls at the end of my workout sort of as a burn out to maintain proper form that I probably at that point wouldn't be able to maintain doing them with a barbell. That's all I can really think of tbh.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To be honest, people really tend to over think the deload thing and sometimes I see people doing it too often. Every 4th week is definitely too much imo.

Go forth and train hard, young padawan.

Will do! First meet in September. Loaded a squat weight I've never done before Friday and did it four times, excited to start adding singles and tripples about 8 weeks out from meet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads