1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Thanks for this Charly. Part 1 was especially helpful.

Made me a lot more conscious of my starting position.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

TK, I'm impressed with your hospital in Roanoke. Mom had surgery there yesterday. It was delayed a few hours because of the snow storm, but the docs got it done. They did a fine job.

1 person likes this.
  3. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Yeah, you've had some fast progress.
    Great strength gains (albeit some shoddy technique last year iirc) and your technique looks solid from the last videos I've seen.
    Very nice size gains too.

I was admittedly fucking around too much in the beginning, or rather all the up until this winter.
    Changing gym and my approach to lifting overall has helped a lot and I believe I'm on the right path now. If any of you have a powerlifting club / gym nearby I really can't stress enough how much of an improvement it is over commercial gyms, even if you don't care about being strong. Doesn't need to be a powerlifting specific gym, but just a place were people are dedicated to their training and compete in a sport.

2 people like this.
  4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Ah, nice! Who was the surgeon? I know most of them by now.

I live about 2 minutes from Roanoke Memorial Hospital, haha. All of us got the day off for the snow so we had an awesome snowball fight right by the hospital.

Also, after spending 2 hours digging myself out of the snow this AM I made it to the gym and decided to reward myself with a deadlift day. Managed 500x1(PR) following by 405x9(PR).:slayer:

1 person likes this.
  5. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Sometimes I like looking back through my workout logs for shits and giggles, I started weight training pretty much exactly last year

First entry in the notebook is

02/18/2013

Barbell Deadlift: 5x70, 5x90, 5x100

I was fucking deadlifting with like 10lb plates hahahaha

Barbell Bent over row: 5x50, 5x55, 5x60

Barbell Military Press: 5x2x55

That was literally my first workout.

It doesnt get much better until like 2 months later when I find out about stronglifts...

Looking back on a year of lifting, there are definitely a ton of mistakes that I made, and things that I could have done better. If I knew then what I knew know.... but so it goes. Think I learned a lot in the process

Also i've got random notes in here saying that my maintenance calories are 1,800, and that I need to cut on 1,600 : | also to eat 300 grams of protein a day no matter what

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    4 people like this.
  6. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I finally restarted lifting this month after my brother convinced me that I was good to start again, but I think that might have to take a break again... I'm going to the doctor and getting scans done, but I think the cause of the back pain I've had for years on my lower right side is Petit's hernia, which may or may not interest the medical folks around here. My brother is a IMG doc and diagnosed it, but I figure it's a good idea to talk to my GP and get some scans done before I jump to any conclusions. However, it explains why my massage therapist never seems to find the "knot" in my lower back when I'm on the table, and why it never went away like anything else that I had thought it was.

If it is what it appears to be, hopefully the surgery won't keep me off my feet (or away from lifting) for too long of a while. I wasn't allowed to lift all of January either due to the nose surgery I had to fix it after 2 pretty traumatic breaks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  7. Eason

Eason Senior member

375 x 5 today for deadlifts... my goal for 2014 is 405 for 5.

Whoever was the one here who said to start using a belt just for squats around 1.5 BW was a fucking genius. Best decision I've made for my squats.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I didn't get a name. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it there, so I had to rely on info from my siblings. I'll let you know if I find out.

I hear you got lots of snow. Sounds like you made the best of it.

9. conceptionist

Nice DLs.
    Shouldn't you be able to progress quite a bit more in one year though? I did 300 x 5 yesterday (after like 7 sets of squats) and my 1RM goal for May is to pull 405. Hoping to get 405 x 5 by the end of the year too.

Agree with the belt. I tried one on (think its 13mm) for the first time yesterday for deadlifts. Only got 4 reps last week and yesterday I got 5 without much problem.

Btw, I started a log in that other forum if any of you want to see how I train.
    It's all in Swedish but you can use google translate, although it doesn't work with all words:
    http://www.kolozzeum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6872249#post6872249

10. Eason

Eason Senior member

I would use a belt with squats but not with deads. I think belts can create more bad habits with deads than squats because the dl is so dependent on creating tension. Lots of people use belts on them, but I don't think it's necessary until I'm pulling 5 plates.

As for being able to progress more in one year... nah. Try pulling 405 for one. Pulling it for 5 is something completely different. Not the same as squatting, much more fatigue and you'll fuck yourself up if you try to do it before you really are able.

11. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

I find belts help me create more tension, instead of making me lazy with creating tension.

12. APK

APK Senior member

That stuff is nothing to be taken lightly. I knew someone who got diagnosed as bipolar a couple of years ago, after years of on and off depression and being a fuckup in general. He was on meds, but made the mistake of trying to ween himself off of them. His life was pretty much shit, due mostly to his poor choices, but his psychological issues certainly didn't help the matter. He blew his head off with a shotgun last summer, leaving behind two young children, one of whom considered him her "best friend." It's been tough to watch the fallout of it all. Part of me is disgusted that he'd do this to his kids, but at the same time, I can't really fathom what day-to-day life was like mentally for him.

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Yeah the whole point of a belt is to create tension

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Yea

First 300lb on DLs are easy

I was doing 5x225 within my first month of DLing period (though who knows how my form was)

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

not a problem

we had a mexican weightlifter at our club last year and although I speak some spanish it was incredibly difficult to understand the weightlifting terminology. great dude btw, his dad had built them (him and his brother) a platform at their garage and was their coach back in MC. his brother made something like 310 @ 77 and he was a 240 total guy as a slightly overweight 69

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Got taken down by a tripple cheesburger last night. Tried to go into the gym today and couldn't even break 325 off the ground. Feel like shit, going to watch USA v Russia hockey though. :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

"I have gymmat since I was about. 18," conceptionist, 2014

18. jarude

jarude Senior member

my gf made me chocolate-covered bacon for valentines day. also i discovered i can db bench without any elbow pain and now i am eating leftover pizza.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  19. conceptionist

Yes, I've been going to the gym since I was 18. What are you trying to say? That I lie or that should be bigger now?

Only reason I ended up in a gym in the first place was for rehab for a severely broken arm up at the shoulder joint.
    The physiotherapist got me set up with a program that pretty much only was small isolation movements (shoulder raises, internal rotation stuff, rotator cuff work) with very small dumbbells. Did that program for about half a year 2x a week. I was tiny and absolutely hated going to the gym.

Then I saw the bigger dudes and wanted to get buff, so I got on one of the notorious "Brad pit in Fight Club routines".
    I did pec dec, bicep curls and shoulder presses 2-3x a week. No other lifts at all. Did that with no attention to diet and how to train properly until I was 20 or so. I had several months out of the gym in periods in those years as well. I saw pretty much no gains and didn't gain more than 10 pounds max.

Just look at that pic from March 2012 and you can tell that those early years in the gym were complete waste.

20. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I told you stuff would work out dude, glad the elbow is better.

I think he was trying to poke some fun at the google translator fail as in "gym mat" the (english) noun