1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Charly, With athletes at your level do you have ugly lifts? Like if you had 80% squat for 8 reps, you hit them all but think to yourself "well the last 3 my back rounded out pretty bad and knees came too far in". Or are you so dialed in you don't break form? I get pretty serious about form when I'm in the 1-5 rep range, but now when I gotta do 8-12 I'm just like YOLO get the fuckin lifts done.

Also doesn't help that I've lost 7lbs in my cut. That I'm not feeling as together.

Also also sorta miss training with old geared lifters, there was no thought of ugly lifts there only you made the lifts or you missed it.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

If your lbm was 180, Mark, you'd be 10% bf right now.

3. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

You can find detailed posts about my cut if you use the threads search function.
    Macros are individual so yours will not be same as mine, and if you have different macros for rest days and workout days, there's going to be a drastic difference in the daily changes in macros if you lift 3x compared to 5x a week, in order to get the same daily average macros over the course of the whole week.

Instead of saying what I did, I can give you some advice on what I would do if I were you (this is if with that particular protocol; you don't have to be calorie and macro cycling):

Stats: 200lbs, BF 18-20%, maintenance 3000 calories, lift weights 3x a week

Workout day: 225p, 45f, 400c = 2900
    Rest day: 235p, 100f, 100c = 2200

Averages out to 550 calorie deficit, 0.4xBW fats, 1.3xLBM protein per day for a theoretical 1.2 lbs lost per week. That's all according to general guidelines on various websites (BB.com, lylemc, leangains, etc.....)

Use this tool to adjust if you want to lift 4x a week instead. In that case, the gap between rest days and workout days has to be bigger, with less fat on rest days and less carbs on workout days to adjust it to the same weekly total.

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

When weight loss has stalled for 2 weeks straight, take off 25-50g carbs from workout days. Repeat again when you stall again for 2 weeks.

About meal timing:
    the only guidelines I have is to eat some carbs pre workout (40-50g protein, 10-15g fat, 40-50g carbs if 1-2 hours before, 50-80g carbs if 2-3 hours before) and then the majority afterwards. If you eat more than 1 meal before you workout, only include carbs in the last pre workout meal (that is no carbs with breakfast unless you lift right after it).
    for rest days don't eat starches for carbs. fruits and veggies only. doesn't matter how many meals you eat.

And no, I'm not saying this is the only way to cut but its what I would do if I were calorie/macro cycling.

Now copy this post into a document so I don't have to write it again [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

From my observation of my own lifts and other lifters on the same level, form does not break down much when going into reps.

Good form = efficient movement. If anything, you should fight harder to keep that good technique the more fatigued you are, because if you don't, you're just making the lift harder on yourself from the inefficiencies caused by breakdown.

I hope that helps!

3 people like this.
  5. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Alright, bear with me here brother haha.

These are my currect macros, and what I started cutting on last Monday. I weighed 205 then, and as of yesterday morning I weighed 200.4. I'm assuming this drastic loss is just water and whatnot. I'll probably lose more water this week, and will start stabilizing afterwards. If i'm losing at a rate of 1.5/wk i'm assuming that these macros are working, and i'll keep them as is, until weight loss stalls for two weeks as you said.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, if these macros are causing me to lose MORE than 1.5, i'll also adjust accordingly as well, probably up protein and carbs, trim some fat?

The thing that you've got me worried about now, is that I should be eating more carbs, less fat. Do you think at the moment I should do that? I'm also worried that I started calories too low for both days, and that towards the end of my cut i'll be eating like 2200 calories a day on workout days. I'm not really worried about feeling hungry, or things like that, I could deal with that, but I don't want to fuck up my metabolism and hormone levels, or worse yet going catabolic.

I lift 4 times a week, I have one pre workout meal, 3 hours before lifting. This meal is 90g of carbs, 45g of protein and 45 grams of fat, for a total of 940 calories. I get the rest of my calories in after the workout.

On rest days, why do you advocate no starches, i'm assuming to increase insulin sensitivity? What if you are doing a little bit of light cardio on rest days, does that change anything?

And ahaha, I try to save as many of your posts as I can man. You DID say that you enjoy doling out this advice, so it's why I come to you, plus you clearly know what the fuck you're talking about.

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Yeah would not recommend carb cycling unless you're going for sub-8% BF and have a deadline.

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Uh dude my LBM is like 170

8. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Shit niggas, all you jumpin down my throat haha. My exact LBM was not needed for the question I was asking, threw anything random in there

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

Ugh. So I threw on rehband elbow sleeves and the slingshot bands for benching today, and on the fourth set I noticed the tiniest bit of numbness creep into my right pinky again. :( I'm going to have to stay away from pressing for reals; even db pressing 30's left my elbow feeling funny. Back to pullovers and flyes.

10. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Double

11. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

12. conceptionist

Weird Double

13. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Conceptionist or anyone: do you take intra-workout dextrose/maltodextrin?

14. conceptionist

Yes, I do 50g pure grocery store dextrose powder and 20g whey.

Waiting for a discount to drop on Myprotein and then I'm gonna kop some Waxy Maize for carbs and Leucin or PeptoPro for protein. Thats what John Meadows has his clients do ("if you happen to give fuck" - chris jones)

15. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Educate us on waxy maize vs dextrose vs malto

16. conceptionist

Ughhh.... My whole response was deleted.

Your macros are wrong for carb cycling. It should be like this:
    Work days are low fat high carb
    Rest days are high fat low carb

You have unnecessary amounts of fat and could have more carbs.

New macros for 4x lifting mark:

Work
    225p, 50f, 350c

Rest
    225p, 100c, 100f

No starch rest days:
    Insulin sensitivity, more full from veggies and fruit, saves calories

You lift at 6 right?

2 preworkout meals optimal for better protein synthesis and available energy at the workout

1st meal 14ish
    40p, 20f, sub 20 carbs
    Egg/pork/salmon veggies
    No carbs cuz your lazy at work

2nd meal 16-17ish (easy to digest meal)
    40p, 15f, 50c
    Greek yog/cott cheese/protein powder for protein
    Olive oil or natty pb for fat
    Oats/sweet potato/rice + berries or fruit for carbs (you get glucose and fructose = best PWO)

If you can only do one meal pre workout, make it like this:
    50p, 20-30f, 75c
    3 hours or so before lifting
    Whole foods

@ Skeen:

Waxy Maize has lower osmolality, basically faster available energy since it leaves the stomach faster. Sort of bypasses the digestion process or something like that. Google "john meadows carbs osmolality"

17. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

18. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Ok, this is what I am going to do now, yes I lift at 6.

Finalized diet, right here.

Just to be sure I did the math right, that means my lifting day calories come out to 2,500, and rest days 2,200 correct?

Lifting days first meal would be approx 420 calories, second 495 and post workout meal would be 1,585 calories?

Feel like I did some gorilla math and something is off, but maybe not.

If I stall for more than two weeks how should I go about adjusting? Drop some carbs and some fats, how many grams each?

And the consensus for moderate cardio on rest days is fine, just no HITT?

@conceptionist

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  19. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Im getting back into clean and jerk as my main lift once a week, with a light lift day in between. Its been fun!

20. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member