Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

on a totally related but unrelated note:

sleeping makes you mentally feel less shitty, while all nighters make you feel physically less shitty. So for working out, its better to all nighter than to sleep a little bit.[​IMG]

I don't follow...

2. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

U feel physically shitty if you sleep a little as opposed to physically okay if you don't?

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Right on cue...I get to bed late (2am) and can't fall asleep until 4am. [​IMG] The former usually happens, the latter does not.
    Quit whining bitch. I'm lucky if I get to sleep by 6AM.

4. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I will never get enough sleep with my schedule...6-7 hrs is all I can squeeze in and I just have to get used to it. I miss the college days when sleep was like a part time job [​IMG]

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Starting boxing tomorrow, needed to start doing some cardio so I think it should help with cutting a little bit of fat. Still not recovered form Christmas, all my lifts are going up, but my bench has plummeted since christmas, its the same as my over head press now. Don't know what im doing wrong, but I just can't bench, I do more on a pec deck then on the bench. This isn't really the right place to post this, but my gf got prescribed Venlafaxine for her depression because prozac wasn't working. Anyone know if its safe or know what it does, its an amphetamine or something and its making her feel horrible.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Venlafaxine is Effexor. Fucking horrible shit. Just awful.

(Caveat - works for some/many people)

There are at least 2 or three other SNRI's on the market worth trying. Trouble is, with any of these meds, you need at least 8 weeks of trial to see if the side effects get better and they start to help. Unless of course the side effects are VERY BAD. Then you should stop the shit with your dr's help.

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I've been doing hang cleans for a while now and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it (pun intended, ha ha). At least my forearms aren't fatiguing nearly as quickly as before, which I interpret as not curling the bar up. Still having some problems with the proper elbow placement though, sometimes I don't quite manage to get them vertical in the top position.

Probably should start lowering the bar to the floor and practicing the first pull also. It's a cool movement, but damn hard to learn if you want to get it right.

8. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Cottage cheese with a generous serving of tabasco sauce is delicious... well, for cottage cheese, that is. Makes downing a cup or two pretty easy. This has become my standard way to eat cottage cheese.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Cottage cheese with a generous serving of tabasco sauce is delicious... well, for cottage cheese, that is. Makes downing a cup or two pretty easy. This has become my standard way to eat cottage cheese.

[​IMG]

10. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't knock it until you've tried it... although as a vegetarian, I must admit that my choices of protein sources are rarely very tasty.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

After visiting another university's weight room, I'm quite aghast at their personal training service. Over the course of my 1hr+ stay, this "trainer" proceeded to teach his client (from the looks of him, I'd venture to say, a total beginner) EVERY movement about as horribly as you can imagine.

Things like:

• no upper back tightness while squatting, ROM maybe 5" or so w/ all of the weight resting on the poor trainees knees. Basically everything ESSENTIAL was either left out or misguided - I even heard him instruct the dude "not to go below parallel - ever! bad for your knees"
    • basic bodybuilder bench press, with shoulders flaring out and all.
    • upright barbell rows w/ super narrow grip "works your shoulders mighty fine"
    • behind the neck shoulder presses in the smith machine, which coupled with the benching style, upright rowing (almost total bs imo) and total beginner-ness of the trainee are almost guaranteed to bring about shoulder pain or troubles later on
    • while the trainee was depositing his pound of flesh at the counter in return for the "service" rendered, the trainer proudly flaunted brosciency nutrition advice (small meals, high carb, you name it he said it) for this spindly dude who obviously had never touched a barbell in his life. I mean, advice like "lift heavy shit, eat like a beast, sleep like its going out of style" would've been more than enough to end the session.

I mean, what the hell is wrong with the world when an internet weighlifting expert (that'd be me) can point out this many OBVIOUS faults with "professional" training advice? Just strengthens my view that most PT's are bullshit advocates.
    Fucking sad, that's all I have to say.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Also, cottage cheese + peanut butter + cinnamon + vanilla whey/casein = good shit

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[​IMG]

Don't knock it until you've tried it... although as a vegetarian, I must admit that my choices of protein sources are rarely very tasty.

Ah- bro, didn't know you were veg. [​IMG]

I happen to really like good cottage cheese, plain, with crackers, etc...

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I happen to really like good cottage cheese, plain, with crackers, etc...
    You had me up until the carbs part. Friendship 4% or 2% whipped. The rest of the brands taste like shit.

15. sonick

sonick Senior member

snip

lol wow.

On the subject of upright rows, at the gym on Tuesday a skinny asian kid, who looked like me 5 years ago, spent 40 minutes doing upright rows on an EZ bar. First with 15 a side. Then 10. Then finally, 5.