1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I support your reenactment of Road House.

2 people like this.
  2. jarude

jarude Senior member

straight arm lifting is kinda fun. today was flyes, pullovers, crossovers, lateral raise, band pullapart, horizontal cable shrugs. finished off with prowler pushing which i have never done, fuck my lungs. that sucked nuts. i was hacking up a lung the whole ride home.

even though this is probably throwing you off in the short term, i think it is probably an awesome thing for you as a lifter in general. outliers and your environment and all that. dunno about charlie but i went from "starting over" at 225x5,5 in may/june to 385x1 last month.

chances are you'll probably outpace most people itt given that you'll be surrounded by people who have done the work and are continuing to do the work instead of endless and incessant hand-wringing over the ultimate program for max gainz. kind of like a hive-mind for lifting i guess. like i said before, super jelly.

1 person likes this.
  3. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Thanks man.

That's some really good progress you've made.

I did 235 for 5x5 squats yesterday and I think my max is around 275 now, so pretty equal to your situation. Aiming to hit 315 by June and then at least 375 for feb next year when the series start. 1.5-2 pound / week increase on 1RM is pretty doable, right?

Yeah, I think its better to step back a bit and just focus on getting stronger and learn as much as I can from the guys at the gym. I would be super stressed now if I would do a meet in a month all of a sudden.

I can already say that its way more motivating to lift at this place than the random commercial gym I went to before. You really start to push yourself when everyone has the same attitude towards training and are stronger than you. The guy I've spoken to the most is only 17 and he squatted 340 for an easy triple today. Makes you think how shitty you trained when you were in that age.

Seems like a lot of PLers in Sweden like very high frequency percentage based programs built around just the 3 lifts and versions of them, sort of how the Norwegian, eastern european and russian teams train. US powerlifters seem to have more of a powerbuilding approach with more non specific accessory work and a larger focus on building the muscles of the lift rather than training the movements as skills. Broad generalizations of course.

1 person likes this.
  4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I don't really remember to be honest.

Took me about a year to get from 380-ish to 430 though.

5. mrchariybrown

Btw, just finished lifting with TeeKay.

Laid back and nice guy! 9/10 cause of pointy elbows. Would lift again.

But really, :cheers:

5 people like this.
  6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Damn I was hoping that 135-300 was a year then 300-400 would take me a little under a year.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  7. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

So I signed up for some random wellness 90 day challenge thing at a health fair my girlfriend's employer put on. Basically you get put into teams to support each other on their goals, with one or two people from the company acting as "team leaders" to support everyone. I was the only one that put weight gain down, and apparently this dude is my team lead hahahaha. What luck.

http://gallery.rxmuscle.com/index.php?contest=171&year=654&bodybuilder=34866

8. mrchariybrown

Could be. Everyone's different.

I went from 550 to 635 in about 5-6 months.

1 person likes this.
  9. rjbman

rjbman Senior member

Is there a certain max amount of time between sets you should be taking? I've been able to make linear progress with my lifts but I'm resting probably 3-4 minutes for working sets.

10. Eason

Eason Senior member

8 minutes is rather excessive

full body workouts on a cut is fucking brutal

11. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I rest for like 10 minutes between sets when squatting but other than that just like 2 or 3

12. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Yeah, I rest like 3 minutes for big lifts like squat, ohp, bench and deads.
    Smaller accessory movements 1-2 minutes dependng on how heavy it is and how I'm feeling.

If you're doing lower reps (singles to triples) you can generally get away with a bit less rest from my experience.

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Can confirm. Learned a good amount in a short amount of time from Charly. His workouts are entirely different than what I was used to -- so I was pretty gassed at the end despite it being a (relatively) short workout.

Also had to decrease the weight on bench quite a bit to facilitate some form changes him and some other swole dude who talks a little too quietly for my liking helped me with.

After lift sesh went home, ate some Chinese food, and passed out at 8pm.:slayer:

2 people like this.
  14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Here here for binging on Chinese food last night and then descending into salt-induced sleep-coma

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

hey TK when is your upcoming competition? or did i remember wrong with you saying you were going to compete again

16. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Looking at doing one in Richmond on May 3rd

17. fuji

fuji Senior member

LSE has completely revamped the gym. Eleiko bars and plates, couple of racks, platforms, jerk blocks and the little blocks to clean off of. Competition bench, loads of really good adjustable benches, dbs only up to 45kg, but they're alright. Every machine you could ask for, but none of them are plate loaded. Little area with loads of stretching shit like bands and foam rollers and a huge rack of kettle balls. All the cardio equipment have little computers on them you can skype people off. Theres also loads of trees inside of the gym, looks kind of weird, but they're trying to make it eco friendly. Only down side is they've separated the cardio section and the weights so theres no point in deadlifting or maxing out if no sloots to mire. Such a good feel throwing 100kg over your head onto jerk blocks though.

Some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Saw that. I hope he makes a miraculous recovery though it sounds pretty grim.

Even more cringe-worthy that he is uninsured.

19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I'm unisured, dat obamacare

From a doctors perspective, how the hell can this happen? scurry