• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going to cop the Rehband elbow sleeve at Chariy's suggestion. Has anyone ever used this Shields knee brace? http://www.amazon.com/Kuhl-Shields-Knee-Brace-Size/dp/B000ITHNRG

Apparently it is designed for patellafemoral pain syndrome which is what I have. Wondering if I need to bite the bullet on something this expensive or if a rehband knee support would kind of do the same thing.

I feel like a brace is a bandage for a problem. If you can get it fixed, get it fixed.

Then again I just bought wrist straps. But my dainty wrists are less serious than patellafemoral pain syndrome.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh my ******* god you guys. So I made jarude's protein sludge and tried freezing it and it turned out exactly like peanut butter ice cream.

Turned out a little too hard so next time I think I'm going to add more cool whip which is what I think softens it when it's frozen (could use whole milk too I suppose if you don't care about cals). Current recipe would make some bomb ass puddin pops

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:slayer: you doing gods work brother man

Axelman, I have a spare rehband open patella knee sleeve in size L that I'd let go for peanuts/shipping since I have no use for it

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW I'm pretty sure this is just like a homemade version of that Arctic Zero ****, just freezing milk and whey and adding chemicals (cool whip in this case) to keep it at an ice-cream like texture. This version is way ******* cheaper than that **** though haha.

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

How does on get into powerlifting?

Is it a simple as joining a powerlifting gym, getting a coach, and beginning to train to compete?

You can get into powerlifting just by training it. Joining a powerlifting friendly gym or getting a coach would be a huge plus.

But you can't call yourself a powerlifter til you've competed :)

It's as simple as just testing one out. My first one, I just did a push-pull and went and had a blast. Conservative numbers and aimed just to go 6 for 6.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can get into powerlifting just by training it. Joining a powerlifting friendly gym or getting a coach would be a huge plus.

But you can't call yourself a powerlifter til you've competed :)

It's as simple as just testing one out. My first one, I just did a push-pull and went and had a blast. Conservative numbers and aimed just to go 6 for 6.

I hear ya, it seems pretty exciting, and something I feel I could really dedicate myself too. Plus, i'm only 21 and feel like I could make solid progress in the coming years.

You're relatively close by in Philly, and I feel like the PL community is kind of tight knit, do you know of any good gyms to check out in NY?

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. Recipe for that again?

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I hear ya, it seems pretty exciting, and something I feel I could really dedicate myself too. Plus, i'm only 21 and feel like I could make solid progress in the coming years.

You're relatively close by in Philly, and I feel like the PL community is kind of tight knit, do you know of any good gyms to check out in NY?

Once you get bit by the iron bug, you're stuck for life hah.

The PL community is tight knit but very welcoming. Every single powerlifter I've met and talked to has been more than happy to help and share. I've had random PL'ers just come up to me at meets and ask if I need help wrapping my knees or if I'm out of ammonia caps. Some of us look unpleasant, but for the most part, we're a friendly bunch.

Unfortunately there aren't any powerlifting dedicated gyms in the city because of the space.. but right outside the city in Hoboken, my bud Jason Manenkoff owns Iron Arena. It's small but the equipment is awesome. Texas squat bars, deadlift bars, power bars, eleiko oly bars, bumper plates, 2 power cages, dl platform, competition spec bench, astroturf for pushing the prowler, and a GHR.

The few times I have worked out in ny, I just went to Hoboken to train.. Went to Steel Gym in Chelsea twice. They have one power cage which is nice but not much space to do anything else like deadlift. And it's packed and hot in there.

Last edited:

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Once you get bit by the iron bug, you're stuck for life hah.

The PL community is tight knit but very welcoming. Every single powerlifter I've met and talked to has been more than happy to help and share. I've had random PL'ers just come up to me at meets and ask if I need help wrapping my knees or if I'm out of ammonia caps. Some of us look unpleasant, but for the most part, we're a friendly bunch.

Unfortunately there aren't any powerlifting dedicated gyms in the city because of the space.. but right outside the city in Hoboken, my bud Jason Manenkoff owns Iron Arena. It's small but the equipment is awesome. Texas squat bars, deadlift bars, power bars, eleiko oly bars, bumper plates, 2 power cages, dl platform, competition spec bench, astroturf for pushing the prowler, and a GHR.

The few times I have worked out in ny, I just went to Hoboken to train.. Went to Steel Gym in Chelsea twice. They have one power cage which is nice but not much space to do anything else like deadlift. And it's packed and hot in there.

Damn, Hoboken is a ways out, it would be different if I had a car but I don't. Unfortunate since that seems exactly like what I need.

I actually live in Brooklyn, not the city. I'll peruse some forums and see if I can find anything near here.

And for what it's worth, I go to New York Sports Club now, if any gym isn't conducive to powerlifting it would be that one. Overheard one of the trainers complaining to another that "all these kids need to stop coming here to deadlift." : |

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Damn, Hoboken is a ways out, it would be different if I had a car but I don't. Unfortunate since that seems exactly like what I need.

I actually live in Brooklyn, not the city. I'll peruse some forums and see if I can find anything near here.

And for what it's worth, I go to New York Sports Club now, if any gym isn't conducive to powerlifting it would be that one. Overheard one of the trainers complaining to another that "all these kids need to stop coming here to deadlift." : |

That's fucked up.

Just find any gym that has a squat rack and will let you deadlift, and you'll be fine.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I saw a striated vein in my forearm today after benches. Dunno, might have just been seeing hings.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

latest dom mazetti video. So many feels man, literally relate to all his videos so much.

I'm fairly sure your veins don't get multiple narrow ridges going along the outside of them that are so large you can seem them through your skin, that would probably be fairly dangerous.

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn. Recipe for that again?

1 scoop whey + 1 tbsp pb + ~3-4 tbsp cool whip + splash of milk to desired texture

I want to try with pb2, could be a great cutting snack.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What were your #s for your first meet?

3 year old nephew ate the rest of my sludge when I went to the washroom :fu: can't get mad at him though...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads