1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Thearkly

Thearkly Senior member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. Eason

Eason Senior member

did 160 today on OHP and it's starting to become an issue because I've always just cleaned the weight into position from the floor. It's fine with 145 or sth but I think I'm spending too much energy on cleaning into position then stabilizing. At the same time I don't want to be a phaggot who is pressing less than 2 plates in the squat rack. What should I do? Get better at cleaning?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^Just use a rack if you need, no one will bag you out. A 2 plate ohp is pretty rare in most gyms so dw. But do some from a clean too to change it up if you like.

4. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I brought my girlfriend to the gym at noon on a Saturday, worst mistake.

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

anyone got good videos or articles about Pendlay rows?

I do 5x5 at 165lb, and think i got decent technique, stay straight and tense, dont really cheat with the hips and so on. But it feels "too" easy, like too little "muscle contact" or something like that. In constrast, cable rows at 200 lb make me really sore. Should I just go heavier, or am i missing something?

6. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I sort of got the same problem.
    I think you should focus on pullung from the elbows rather than the hands and really contract the back muscles. Use straps if that helps you put more emphasis on the back.

Also make sure you don't round your upper back and let the shoulders roll forward at the top. Row to somewhere between nipples and upper abs, around where your bench press hits. I believe that makes it hits the lats a bit more rather than just upper back and delts.

7. gort

gort Senior member

What changes did you make to make your squat better? I'm certain if I had someone who knew their shit with me I'd have a lot to tweak too.

8. Crat

Crat Senior member

(almost) 2 months of dream bulk and i feel dirty and fat (and strong). Gym was closed last week :(
    Guess I'll start the new year with a cut and switch back to RPT.

Happy New Year everyone!

9. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Just squatted 190 for 12 and benched 175 for 8 without thinking I was able to... Kinda becoming a fan of the resets in the greyskull program.

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Caffeine is the shit. I started taking a 200mg pill this week about 30 mins before my workouts... I swear, my lifts are up like 10lbs lol. I just have to figure out how not to build up a tolerance.

11. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Every three weeks or so do a deload week and skip the caffeine

12. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Yeah man, a training session with someone who actually puts up solid numbers and knows what they're doing is highly beneficial. After my one training sesh with iham I realized a lot of what I was doing wrong, and just having the extra motivator there is great too.

What I did was DRASTICALLY widen my stance. I realized that everyone is different, and what works for most won't work for some, I always stood by the mantra of "feet about shoulder width apart" even though when I did that I certainly could not hit parallel, and it hurt a lot. I thought this was normal, maybe my mobility was bad, or something else. Then I tried squatting wider and REALLY bracing and tightening my abs it was like everything suddenly made sense. I could sit right down in between my knees ATF, it did not hurt at all, and where I was struggling with 185x5 beforehand, I easily got 225x3x8.

This is exactly the rack I have at my gym, when I squat now my toes are at about a 45 degree angle and touching the sides of the bottom.

[​IMG]

tl;dr: widen the fuck out of your stance, brace your abs so hard you think you'll poop

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

You definitely have FAI
    Can only flex your hips in abduction?

14. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Please to speak in english and not coldsnap speak?

4 people like this.
  15. Eason

Eason Senior member

Just ignore it
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

I

Anterior hip pain during squats is unusual, no?
    Knees? Yes. Back? Yes
    But not front of the hip; its uncommon I think

That suggests theres something a bit weird about you

Now you say that widening your stance (abduction) and opening out your hips (external rotation) relieves this pain that you experience at the bottom of your squat (in hip flexion)

These two movements are the exact opposite of what normally AGGRAVATES pain in FAI: impingement is worst in flexion, ADduction and internal rotation.

In order to get painless flexion, you are having to be in maximum ABduction and external rotation to minimize the impingement

Seriously its a potentially major problem in a decade or two. Accelerated osteoarthritis and future hip replacement etc

Obviously I cant diagnose you over the internet but the story just seems so classic its hard to think of what else it could be

I mean if it was your internal rotator muscles that would be worse from opening up your hips, not better (more stretch)
    Hip flexor muscles are not under any sort of stress at the bottom position of a squat
    Unusual for SIJ pain to be anterior
    Maybe a hernia? Not really any other possibilities

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  17. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

skeen are you a doctor btw just because i cant be arsed to read your poast history

18. Eason

Eason Senior member

I have the same issue with narrow stance squats. Doubt it means so many people have some pinpingement syndrome that will make our hips explode. I'll tell you if you were right in 20 years though.

1 person likes this.
  19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

all of us will need new hips in 20-30 years anyways

20. Crat

Crat Senior member

FU, I like my hips just fine :p
    Knees may be a different matter....

So this is the result of 2moths of dream bulk. Pizza, wine gums, cookies, chocolate, fries, cereal and ice cream ad libitum, every day.
    Prolly a big jar of haagen or B&J every other day. :blush:

Time to cut.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014