1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

not even going to comment on the rippletits thing, but you can take a look at how most weightlifters squat. it's elbows under the bar in line with the hips. for hb at least.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Pretty sure myself, GN and iham would be game. Mention it in this thread closer too.

2 people like this.
  3. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I'll be in NYC next year some time looking at schools, but not January

4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Please?

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

Fuck NYC, come to buttfuck frozen nowhere Canada and everyone can lift in my 6x6 garage space.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

would move to Canuckistan in a heartbeat if need be

1 person likes this.
  7. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

woo progress

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

So I guess we're not doing the whole spoiler tag thing anymore?

But lookin thick brah

9. Transcendental

Transcendental Senior member

I'm not a doc, but in terms of squatting usually a few things occur if structural abnormality is ruled out. No one can rule structural issues out except a doctor, complete with xrays, so don't let anyone on the internet tell you otherwise. You are right in that some people really are not meant to squat (shalllow pelvis, different shapes, etc.) This makes me cry inside, as I think everyone should have access to one of the greatest things on the planet.

Where do you have pain? Front hip, near/under groin, near the SC joint, on the outside of the hip (trochanteric hip, the bone that sticks out on the side of your hip)?
    How much internal rotation do you have in the femur, during knee flexion. External? These things rule out many possibilities. Are you having muscular pain, or joint pain? If it's the latter, stop and reassess immediately.

Also very possible, but again can only be confirmed by xrays and MRI's, but doctors usually only order these if you are feeling pain from a labral tear, you might have to just specifically ask for a scan of some sort to rule it out. I had surgery 3 months ago for this issue, and had my left femur head shaved and my labrum repaired. I was squatting (in lbs) 420 and C+J 315, Snatch~265. I also have the condition in my right hip (nonsurgical) but to a bit of a lesser extent, so all this hip flexion and deep squatting was just not good. The research is not conclusive to whether or not this condition is purely genetic but it is quite likely influenced by my days playing offensive line, 50% of my day was in explosive hip flexion and extension.

People with FAI should honestly avoid ALL squatting movements, as disheartening as that sounds. It is quite common in Hockey players, and most of those trainers agree about avoiding bilateral movement. Single leg movements allow more pelvic movement in a healthy manner. Can you do deep lunges while feeling it in your glute max, and glute med (side of butt) without pain?

Again this is why I ask about your internal rotation and external rotation. Superman type activities are good for learning the good "feeling", but if those help that usually implies some lack of strength in glutes. If you lack IR, your glute med should be your first priority, as you cannot deep squat without adequate internal rotation. Without internal rotation (30+ degrees) it is likely that your hip if hitting an artificial end range, and that pain you are feeling is your bone placing friction on your cartilage. Not trying to scare anyone, but of course I don't want people to suffer like I did. Rehab process is long. Right now all I look forward to is the burn from banded side walks and 90degree leg presses.

10. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Seriously I am not advanced enough to to that. Let me try. Nice got it

11. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Im such a fucking idiot. I'm also realizing I really love chest exercises. But I gotta lay off. I'm still battling this little pec tear. I tested the waters and did weighted dips today, re-ripped. Not bad but I can feel it. Fuck it. Now I have to wait till like February. I hope this shit won't be a permanent nagging thing, I was at my strongest chest wise before the injury.

12. Donut

Donut Senior member

My pull is weak off the floor (Sumo). Would conventional deficit deadlifts as an accessory be a good idea? Thinking about doing it after my squats.

13. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

My pull is weak off the floor (Sumo). Would conventional deficit deadlifts as an accessory be a good idea? Thinking about doing it after my squats.[/

What are your numbers?

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Something like wide stance paused squats and wide stance paused leg presses would be a better movement. Or sumos from a small deficit.

Btw, sumo being slow off the floor is normal.

1 person likes this.
  15. Donut

Donut Senior member

Well I was 130lb 10% but I dropped a bit when I stopped lifting for 2 weeks due to my two big swim meets. I think right now I'm 126 9%. Skinny DYEL phaggot status.
    DL = 305lb
    Squat = 260lb
    Bench = 185lb

Thanks Charly, I will probably try the wide stance paused squats.

16. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Just eat and do the same lifts your are doing. You are way too small to be worrying about anything other than overall strength.

1 person likes this.
  17. Donut

Donut Senior member

Yeah usually after my season I like to gain weight back. Aiming for around 150-160 in the next few months.

If I do start competing I'd want to compete in the 66kg class.

18. virus646

virus646 Senior member

looking thick ihambrecht

Close grip bench press, finger on smooth and used as an accessory, have been progressing weekly, hopefully I'll get 225 x 10 soon enough :slayer: I did 210 today and will put 215 next bench session. feels good

19. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

Thanks man. Growth has been happening fast with high weight high volume and a shit ton of intraworkout dextrose. (Surge workout fuel)

20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Lol it was $500 to see klokov and ilyan lift in Raleigh. Fuckin crossfit and I know nice people that went but wtf