1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

the open gym hours for a lot of facilities are complete and utter shit. I mean there isn't any and if there is it's always exactly when you can't go and something like twice a wk. I realize why that is, but it's a bummer still.

all that nice shit... getting a semi thinking 'bout those sweet sweet eleiko bars

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Ughhh... You guys are right.

Just checked out their costs and they only have these stupidly expensive packages of workouts that you can buy.

Saw a video of a guy doing some squats and ohp on his own though and they seem to have two hours a day on their schedule with no classes. Will have to check it out.

I still have one of the country's better Oly and PL clubs in the same town, just another 10 mins away on a bike.

3. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

My gym has nice equipment, so I don't really know what i'm talking about, but how can a bar be shitty? After all it's essentially a metal pipe, as long as it weighs 45lbs and the collars move smoothly what more do you need?

4. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Length, thickness, knurling depth, knurling placement, stiffness of the bar.. if it's bent or not.

I wouldn't want a thin whippy bar without very sharp knurling in the center and all across the bar during squats.

Nor would I want a thicker, standard length bar while I deadlift since I'm used to a Texas deadlift bar.

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

The bars with the smooth centre with no knurling are heavenly for front squats.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Nah, gotta let that knurling cut into your neck for the adrenaline response.

1 person likes this.
  7. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I already find the bar cutting off my circulation mildly autoerotic.

8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

this

try snatching on something that doesn't spin and doesn't have a good knurl.

9. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Deadlifting 295 is impressive in the same way that finishing a marathon is impressive. It can be achieved by a healthy male in under 6 months of dedicated training. You should be proud of yourself, but it's not something to brag about. At least that's how I feel about it...

5 people like this.
  10. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I tried this today and it worked remarkably well. Will be doing this from now on.

Conceptionist, question for you, how would you try to incorporate leangains into a schedule where you work 9 - 5 and can only make it to the gym after work, not before.

11. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

I think a gain of anything significant is worth bragging about. It's all relative, but as long as your numbers are going up you should be damn proud of it. Be it a 295 DL or a 600 DL.

12. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

Markl I fast and eat after work

Fast all day
    6pm: Protein + dextrose ---> gym
    Then a big meal as soon I finish

Works really well, the sugar rush after fasting all day gives lots of energy for workout
    Then very satisfying to have a big dinner

13. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Yes, I agree with this sentiment in general. People should be proud of improving themselves. Most of us started as tiny DYEL phaggots with dreams to be big and strong and making those improvements is tremendously motivating. I still remember the first time I pulled 225 pounds; now I regularly power snatch that much.

However, what ticks me off is people slamming plates when they just PR a 135lb bench, or throwing weights when they just curled 40lb for a set. Hell, I've heard less of a ruckus from someone clean and jerking 400 lbs.

I dunno maybe the noob gains get people thinking they can add 15lb every week forever and they're gonna be a hulking bad ass in 6 months and so they think they can behave like a douchebag. Then you have the experienced guys that put in 6 weeks of work to eke out a 20lb PR and know they've got another 6 weeks to try and PR again, so they just do a little fist pump and move on.

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Damn, 20 pounds in 6 weeks... I would love that big of a gain consistently haha

1 person likes this.
  15. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Gotta be proud of PRs but at the same time remind yourself that you are a skinny DYEL phaggot to keep that internal rage burning to further power your gain.

"The day I started lifting is the day I became forever small." - some guy

1 person likes this.
  16. Crat

Crat Senior member

Yeah, Ppl training seriously recognise others that train seriously. Nods of acknowledgement are given.
    What I hate about bar dropping is that all the bars in my gym are now bent.

Strange thing about my new gym is that there are a lot of big guys but most of them seem to be relatively weak.

1 person likes this.
  17. jarude

jarude Senior member

The stronger I get, the more I realise I know shit about fuck and hence stay humble when I hit a goal I've been aiming at for some time.

18. Crat

Crat Senior member

-Arhetstotle-

2 people like this.
  19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I was more excited to squat 225 than 315.

20. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member