Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Not sure the 100 pressures you've taken speak to the issue at hand here...

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

He never wrote that swimming manifesto.

3. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

How long does it take for you guys to recover from leg days? Is about six days for me. I'm doing squats, leg press, lunges, leg extensions, calf raises etc. Holy hell I feel so accomplished afterward.

4. Flame

Flame Senior member

^ 2-4 days. but i just back squat + RDL heavy, maybe some GHR / Bulgarian splits and that is. Don't like machines for legs.

Also impt question. How to prevent hips rising too fast in DL?

My routine is:
    - get good grip
    - pull the slack out of bar
    - round back (to take in big air), then straight go right into a rigid back
    - ease off floor
    - smash heels into ground to push bar away using legs (and knees)
    - let hip extension take over soon as bar is around knees
    - lock out

Am i squatting the weight up? here's last week for reference

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Studies have shown that a muscular arm isn't any different than an obese arm...you just need a properly fitting cuff. I've seen it first hand....on my anesthesiology rotation we would put arterial lines in patients(which take a 100% accurate BP) while also having an automated cuff on ther arm. The only time there was any sort of discrepancy was when we had poor cuff fit.

If you don't think my couple hundred observations of this phenomenon are enough, fair enough. The anesthesiologists I worked with(with a combined experience of several hundred years of experience) all said the same thing....get a proper fit and a manual BP is usually accurate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19593118/

And a study^

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  6. suited

suited Senior member

How is it a horrible idea? If the macros will fit into your breakdown for the day, it's the same thing as eating any other food made up of the same combination of fat/carbs/protein.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Whole Food's version of Lucky Charms are the shit.

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

^ I eat their Frosted Flakes after workouts all the time.

9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I think IIFYM is bullshit, and here's why:

1. With cutting, so much of it is mental that toying with your diet is a recipe for setting off a binge.
    2. Papa John's isn't weighing their ingredients. There's likely a TON of variation from their published nutrition facts. A little extra cheese or a few slices of pepperoni can make a large difference.
    3. The people who are most successful cutting do so with rigid diets and repetition. Adding a lot of variation to the diet complicates things and can throw a wrench in your prep.
    4. There's other factors than just macros when it comes to cutting. Sodium is important in the last few weeks and eating out is a surefire way to get a ton of water retention that can be a pain to get rid of.
    5. If it worked, the top guys would do it. And they don't.

IIFYM probably works if you're cutting from 20% down to 15% because honestly, that kind of cut isn't very difficult. With more extreme cuts, I don't think it would be wise to fool around with Pizza Hut, especially in the last few weeks.

10. gort

gort Senior member

The hardest part about IIFYM for me and why I don't really follow it is the cravings and temptation to binge. I have the worst sweet tooth, if I have just one mini snickers while fitting it into my daily macros, I will be ravenous for an entire bag of them for the rest of the week.:embar:

11. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

You have to factor in breaks and mental health days into cuts. People knock this liquid diet I'm doing but I have lost weight in a surplus off the big cut in sodium alone. When its time to cut I can just switch to heavier macros (oats for carbs, casein for protein etc). Its pretty filling.

In the past month wifey has gone from not being able to plank to holding an elbow/feet plank for a minute. #thingsthatmakeCTKhappy

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Unfortunately none of those points negate that IIFYM is bullshit.

I do agree that for the vast majority of people a clean diet when trying to drop weight is best.

But if someone has good will power, obviously not TKJTG :p , I don't see why you couldn't do a IIFYM type diet to cut and then just drop your water weight (from sodium) at the end. Maybe not for a person trying to drop those last few percentages for a competition because it's hard to gauge your actual progress with the excess water weight IF you're taking in a lot of sodium. Could work fine for someone trying to drop to 6-8%.. hell I've done it like that.. not that hard if you've got self control.

Once again, I think a clean diet is a simpler and easier approach for most since not many people have strong will power (from my experience).

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

When I say IIFYM is bullshit I don't mean that it can't work, I mean that for most people it's probably not the best way to go about cutting.

But I will reiterate that published nutrition facts are not likely accurate at all. A Big Mac from one McDonald's probably has a couple hundred more calories than a Big Mac from the McDonald's on the other side of town.

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yea, I do agree about all that.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Quick note: in the future, if you mean to say something, probably best to just fucking type it all out as opposed to saying something inflamatory and starting a min-shitstorm.

Published nutrition facts are only a baseline. Good rule of thumb: When eating out, ALWAYS assume its more caloric and fattening than its listed.