1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Senior member

Pulled 385 for a pretty clean triple yesterday, hope to be able to do doubles with 405 soon.

It was only a year ago that I pulled 405 for the first time, belted without the best technique; I don't know how much weight I got out of a belt with dls but I'm glad to be doing the same weight without one now.

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I've tried both the narrow grip and wide grip -- I tend to feel it more with the wide grip so stick to that. I've heard both ways though. And I always use overhand grip...just feels more natty that way.

3. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Fuck at Clarence's knees, can't say it's overly surprising though but nonetheless feel bad for him :( Took a week and a half completely off, feel pretty ok surprisingly, first day back is this coming Wednesday hopefully I'm not too rusty.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

From what i've read about clarences training he squatted very frequently for reasonably high volume with near maximal weights. As beta as it is to say, I cannot imagine squatting 90%/triple bodyweight every day for a few years and bouncing hard as fuck is going to be particularly good for your knees.

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Been reading a lot about this Knockout Game business....

NYC brahs stay safe.

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

You read about that one kid who tried it and ended up getting shot AND thrown in jail?

7. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

So much for doing more reps until the end of the year. Just benched 195x3. Two plate single before the end of the year?

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

that oly lifter sounds like a baby to me

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

yeah I'm sure if he just bought a knobbly dildo and PMed coldsnap here he'd be good to lift in like a day tops

4 people like this.
  10. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Did you guys set up any lifting goals as far as weights go for 2013? The year is about to come to an end so its time to set those PRs if you did.

I established my goals only 2 months ago but I'm getting close now. Only 10 pounds left for bench and squat and 20 for DL, for a 1 rep max. Gonna get try to get them in 2-3 weeks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I had a few goals and got close or beat many of them, but bad form has created a lot of injuries for me. My goal next year is to keep making strength gains but also perfect my form on everything and minimize injuries. I got overzealous with weight and volume and I'm paying for it now.

12. milosh

milosh Senior member

When I started I just wanted to be about intermediate by the end of the year. Looking at my current weight I don't think I'll get most of them.

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Wanted to hit an in competition 1650 @ 198. Fell a bit short.

New goals for May 2014 will be aiming for 1725 @ 198 or 1775 @ 220.

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I hit my goal of cutting (165 down to low 140's) while maintaining strength.

Goal now is to stay at this weight (or thereabout) while getting stronger.

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

That knockout game isn't even a thing, a very small percentage of teens are probably doing it, more kids that age are going around shooting people probably, which doesn't get much reporting because I guess people are used to it. The media's blowing it way out of proportion as if it's an actual thing. It's just another way to demonize young black youth.

The number of news stories about the game probably outnumbers the number of victims.

What does intermediate mean?

What was the journey from 1000 to 1500 like for you? How long did it take?

I decided fuck grip strength I don't care that I'm not even pulling 300 yet, gonna use straps to get my deadlift up to its proper weight. Still will work on grip but not let it limit my dl anymore.

16. conceptionist

I was close to injuring my lower back at the beginning of my lifting stage but managed to work around it. Just find out in what way your technique needs to improve and build up your weaknesses if you have any. Took a lot of time for me and gains were halted, but it has paid off.
    Hmmm... I just looked up the exrx standards and my goals for the year are actually pretty close to the intermediate level at my current BW (180).
    Goals for the big three are 3 plate DL, 2.5 plate squat and 1.5 plate bench.

Haven't thought about any goals for 2014 yet apart from reaching 200 pound BW somewhere around summer.

Quote: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

17. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Have you guys ever had an evaluation done to see where you have deficiencies that may limit your lifting?

I had a PT buddy do one on my lifting partner this weekend and it was pretty revealing. Some hip imbalances, glutes not firing, limited shoulder flexibility - all of which would or have been limiting his squat and bench.

18. milosh

milosh Senior member

That's approximately what I expect to achieve this year but I'm already a bit short of 200lbs. 1.5plate bench is 80kg?

19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Had a skype call with my new coach. Excited to see what the programming is going to be like.

Seriously thought it's not like his knees are broken. Jumper's knee is a common ass injury and it's just an over use injury. Take a month off, ease back in for another 2 months only doing power variations. That's why I think Donny Shankle is the best american weightlifter, dude went to worlds and scored some points with practically a broken back.

Every workout I do is an evaluation like this.

20. conceptionist

Yes. I think I got it already but I haven't tried my 1 rep max for bench in a while.