1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. SUPER K

SUPER K Senior member

Baby bottle brush

2 people like this.
  2. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I do low bar squats, and rest the bar on that "shelf" somewhere between my traps and rear delts. For high bar, do you essentially rest the bar on the bottom of your neck?

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Kind of, pinch your shoulders a bit and your traps create a new shelf.

1 person likes this.
  4. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I gotcha, it seems like you're probably more prone to collapse your back with high bar.

What are the advantages to doing high bar vs low or vice versa, can anyone chime in?

5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

You are wrong on so many levels.

1. You often can diagnose labrum pathology using an ultrasound
    2. AC joint, rotation cuff, SA bursa sure, but you forgot about labrum, biceps tendon, impingement syndrome, and shoulder instability
    3. There's very rarely such a thing as a straightforward clinical diagnosis when it comes to the shoulder

What, exactly, are your credentials to make such statements, by the way?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I dont think so, you should stay more upright. More emphasis on quad, less posterior chain. I really like atg high bar. A bit humbling at first :eek:

7. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

I'm a doctor.

Ultrasound is extremely poor at picking up labral pathology (sensitivity 63% http://www.ajronline.org/doi/full/10.2214/ajr.174.6.1741717)
    Ultrasound is also poor at picking up biceps anchor pathology

Impingement syndrome falls under the umbrella of SA bursa and supraspinatus/rotator cuff.

Shoulder instability is almost entirely a clinical diagnosis, and is irrelevant to the symptoms this person is describing.

You have very little idea of what you are talking about. I suggest you study a lot harder.

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I thought you were like 18 tops :puzzled:

1 person likes this.
  9. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Poor sensitivity but high specificity(98%) -- still has diagnostic value. Picking up 2/3rds of labral tears isn't bad for a cheap, quick, and easy diagnostic test. But more importantly....

Holy shit if you actually are a doctor. Fucking LOL. Also you should maybe use a different screenname for the *ahem* questionable websites you frequent.

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Also this keeps playing in my head:

2 people like this.
  11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I shared a lifetime of experiences between deadlift reps today

12. Eason

Eason Senior member

autistic-like focus on spambots aside, I'm psyched to do my first officially programmed deload in like a year.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

"Let’s establish one thing, with any movement the goal is to produce the most amount of torque and not allow any torsion [to] occur on a compression/loaded body. This directly also creates positions that get rid of every single injury we have ever seen in all our athletes/non-athletes.”

Love combining science words together, so much fun.

Squat progression can be modeled as a Gaussian random walk #science

1 person likes this.
  15. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

So what's the official default RHET approved program now that IA SPBR doesn't have enough squats?

16. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Teaspoon of bleach, teaspoon of baking soda and fill up with water. Leave it overnight then wash it out thoroughly.

17. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Well, am I not the only one that has said it was too low frequency for squats? SPBR does work, just like any other sound program. I just prefer to practice the lift more often and if your recovery allows for performing the lift more often and still make progress, I think you should increase the frequency.

I'm almost certain I'm gonna switch to 3 x a week full body (ICF 5x5) at the beginning of next year. My goals are just strength atm and I want to see how I'd do with more focus on the basic compound lifts. Just higher frequency and volume with a bit less intensity for the basics. The more I read, the more it seems like this is the most effective way for novice trainees to lift. Iron Addicts forums is basically the only serious forum online that prescribes low frequency for beginners.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Made some homemade pizzas using this greek yogurt pizza recipe: http://modernfamilycooking.com/lunch-box-ideas/whole-wheat-greek-yogurt-pizza-crust/

[​IMG]

had a bunch of homemade slow-cooked marinara sauce that's amazing but i never use because fuck pasta. shit is so cash.

pretty decent macros for pizza. Gonna put some chicken with buffallo sauce/bbq sauce for slightly better macros.

I've also resigned myself to bulkan over the winter. I'll cut when it gets warmer. #yolo.

1 person likes this.
  19. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Also not all of you have signed up for the secret santa yet and you all really should so pm me your addresses yo. Cutoff is in 2 days

20. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

How many people signed up so far?