1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Senior member

I don't think there's any point in trying to lower your hips or add "leg drive" to your deadlift, it's a fool's errand. You should have *loaded* hips, *loaded* glutes, and loaded lats and erectors and abs ready to pick the weight up like a peanut, but thinking that you should be "driving" is going to make you think you should squat the weight, and you shouldn't.

If you can bend over at 90 degrees with a flat back and grab the bar then all you have to do is load your hamstrings and glutes by sticking them back, then you can pull. If you can't bend over at 90 degrees then you'll have to compensate by loading your hamstrings, glutes, and then use your knees to break forward and get you closer to the ground. But that's how you should set up the deadlift.

on a related note, I used hook-grip on 405 yesterday, fuck thumbs

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Fucking shoulder man. Another week of no gains. Getting older sucks

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

One week into squatting 6x/week and the suck is starting to set in. I'm never really getting any lower body DOMS, mostly just in my upper back. Increased frequency really does wonders for form and stupid little niggling tweaks and pulls, though. I haven't touched my roller in a week and I'm not having any problems. My poor rehbands though; I feel like they qualify as a biohazard at this point.

Also, remember when Rippetoe said "squat for big arms" and everyone laughed at him? I'm getting pretty solid upper gains and not looking too disproportionate (yet), though I expect to rival Coldsnap for dat ass soon enough.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

I've never thought about squats effects on my arms, but I do notice my back is much more "muscular" especially the shelf.

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Why the hell are you squatting 6x/wk?

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

There is no equal!

8. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Close grip bench: include it on shoulder days or on chest/tricep day? hesitant to add it to chest day because already doing flat bench, and incline dumbbell press

9. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I did close grip bench for the firs time yesterday (chest day) and i can barely feel my pinky because of tricep tightness

10. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

God forbid you do a bit more volume :)

11. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

That answers that question

1 person likes this.
  12. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I've never posted my routine here because it's so volume heavy, RHET brahs would have an aneurysm, but I love it and it's working for me.

1 person likes this.
  13. jarude

jarude Senior member

Why the hell are you only squatting 1x/week :stirpot:

I decided to give high-frequency training a shot. It certainly requires a different mindset but I think it can be a pretty viable way of getting things done.

14. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Read between the line brahs, Jarude started pinning obviously :p

3 people like this.
  15. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

HAHA... Jarude, I noticed the same thing. When I squat 3x+ a week I avoid doms in the legs. Now that I'm squatting high vol once a week I get doms for DAYS.

16. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Because fuck you thats why

Good luck brother

17. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Do you normally roll because of soreness or tightness? I generally just do it for maintenance, not sure that's it's necessary, but I do notice my legs feeler better and looser afterwards.

18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Anyone interested in a RHET Secret Santa?

5 people like this.
  19. jarude

jarude Senior member

For reals. Granted I haven't added in any big back-off sets yet and I'm just squatting to a top single daily so DOMS wouldn't really be an issue. Looking back, I hate squatting 1x a week - I hated that day more than anything. I'm only noticing the mental fatigue starting to creep in a little bit.

:fistbump:

20. virus646

virus646 Senior member