1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MarkI

MarkI Distinguished Member

Where do you guys draw the line between soreness or DOMS and pain?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

2. milosh

milosh Senior Member

That happened to me a month ago while deadlifting. Sucks.

3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

hahahah what hurts mark

4. MarkI

Lawl, I should have offered a brief explanation.

Before you showed me the proper way to deadlift and squat, i'd walk away with this dull aching pain in my lower back. I just disregarded it, chalking it up to being sore, despite being like "I should not really be this sore in my lower back after squats and DL."

After lifting with you yesterday, my lower back hardly hurts at all, and i'm actually sore lower.

So i'm wondering if before I lifted properly did I fuck some shit up and injure myself?

5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Distinguished Member

I'm not trying to pick on you, but blanket advice with fitness rarely pans out.

6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

7. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Distinguished Member

whats the deal with above parallel squats? some huge (well, short) bodybuilder-esque asians at my gym doing just above parallel squats with like 170-180 kg. Pros/cons?

8. fuji

fuji Distinguished Member

Well when I leg press i go slightly above parallel because i'm doing it only for quads and i feel if I go to deep I start to feel like im limited by my hams and glutes, which are already raped because I do rdls before hand. Also if he's a bodybuilder he's doing whats best for growth. If he find he grows better from above parallel squats then there better for his purpose. Theres nothing magical about squatting to parallel, it's just an easy way to standardize depth for powerlifting, nothing magic happens when your hip goes below your knee.

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Agreed that if it works for him in terms of growth, it's the best way for HIM to do it in terms of bodybuilding.

That bolded part is a bunch of bullshit though. Builds strong hips, hamstrings, posterior chain, core, etc. Not to mention it's a more impressive feat of strength to squat to parallel or deeper than above parallel where the lift is much easier.

10. fuji

Well say I squat a quarter inch above parallel like the entirety of the SPF, can I not build strong hips, hamstrings and posterior chain from that? I don't believe theres an exact point where your hamstrings and hips start working. Just that as you go deeper the recruitment increases. If I cut my squats a tiny bit higher my hamstrings are still going to do something. Parallel is just point people have agreed on. Being a feet of strength doesn't matter for a bodybuilder.

11. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

there's a big difference in posterior chain involvement between a gymbro quarter rep and a quarter inch above parallel so you can't use that as an example

its one thing if people know how to full squat and are cutting it short for a purpose. its another thing entirely if someone is clueless about the lift and/or lacks the proper mobility to do it properly. you could not honestly tell me that the majority of about above-parallel squatters fall into the former group.

as far as no magic benefit about going to or past parallel I think there's something to be said for having the load on your hips as opposed to your knees

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

There are some high squats in the SPF but the majority of the raw lifters I've seen were parallel at least. You're making a blanket statement for a whole fed and its lifters for some high squats.

I agree that a bodybuilder doesn't really care about numbers but once again, your original statement was a blanket statement and you weren't specifying that you were talking about just bodybuilders. And even then, I disagree. The fact is that you work your muscles harder by going deeper. Stop cheating others from getting bigger/stronger by telling them there's no reason to go to parallel or below because the fact of the matter is that going at least parallel is better for overall muscular development and also strength or athleticism if you're looking for that too.

13. MarkI

Thanks, meant to ask but forgot.

Lawl, I should have offered a brief explanation.

Before you showed me the proper way to deadlift and squat, i'd walk away with this dull aching pain in my lower back. I just disregarded it, chalking it up to being sore, despite being like "I should not really be this sore in my lower back after squats and DL."

After lifting with you yesterday, my lower back hardly hurts at all, and i'm actually sore lower.

So i'm wondering if before I lifted properly did I fuck some shit up and injure myself?

Anyone have a comment on this?

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

fags

15. fuji

SPF thing was a joke, they do pass a lot of a high multiply squats though. I was basing my statements on bodybuilding because superbobo stated the guy looked like he was a bodybuilder. I wasn't saying below parallel squats are worse for bodybuilding, I said the guy may be doing above parallel squats because he feels they suit his goals better, which might not be overall muscular development, they might be tear drop development and he might feel he gets better growth from high squats. If they suit his goals better then they are better for him. I didn't say there is no reason to go below parallel, I said there is nothing intrinsically special about the exact point your hip goes below your knee, that above parallel squats can serve a purpose.