Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i love 8 x 3 personally.

Yes, but blaming injuries on improper form is like blaming car crashes on two cars hitting each other at speed. When people try too much weight, too any reps, whatever else is usually the actual cause of the injury. People squat/run/lift/whatever for years and still get injured. They know how to do it, but the body doesn't always respond the way they'd like it to.

Why 8x3? I mean, I could see that working, but keep the reps the same just for mental practice if nothing else. Try Madcow's 5x5...I personally think it makes more sense and it works better for people who are accustomed to lifting.

In my experience this doesn't matter much. I squatted with olympic shoes, without olympic shoes, high bar, low bar, good mornings only, etc. I tended to stick with high bar and good mornings mostly because it helped me run better on the track, but the high bar/low bar distinction is one that can't be applied to every lifter.

If you're tipping forward during a squat, it's because the resistance is too high so your body tries to pull more with your glutes and hamstrings. There's nothing inherently wrong with this (it's what a good morning/low bar squat tends to focus on more), but if you can't keep your upper body stable it's because you don't have enough strength in your hips to lift the weight when the higher bar position requires additional torque.

[​IMG]

As a little diagram, look at the top lever's resistance compared to the fulcrum (in the case of squats, the hip is the fulcrum). Then look at the lower lever's. Which requires more force to overcome the resistance? This is the high bar/low bar distinction as it pertains to the hip extensors (i.e. glutes and hamstrings); a high bar squat is more like the top lever, while a low bar is more like the bottom lever.

N.B. the arrows are indicating the direction the lever will move. In other words, the resistance is the box and its force is gravity. That's probably understood, so don't let the arrows make you think otherwise.

2. why

why Senior member

Old Man Strength

Fred Peterson - 70 Years Old - 640# DL
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Larrey Wallen - 60 Years Old - 705# DL
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Damn, that two old dudes who are lifting more than 200# in excess of my 1 rep max DL. Must get back to gym.

OHZ MY GOD WHAT SHITTY FORM THEY HAVE BAD FORM HAHAZZZ

3. why

why Senior member

low carb diets are overrated. "functional" workouts are overrated. gaining 20 lbs in about a month and still being pretty lean is awesome and feels great. working 16 hour days does not.

lolwut

Personally I like being able to move around in my everyday environment easily and at will.

4. Noir.

Noir. Senior member

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Started my 5th week of SS today. Using the Practical Programming routine of Mon: Squat, Bench/Press, Chin ups; Wed: Squat, Press/Bench, Deadlift; Fri: Squat, Bench/Press Pull ups. (Would do the routine out of the book, but I don't have anyone to critique cleans)

Last amout done of each:
    Squat: 215
    Bench: 135
    DL: 185
    Overhead Press: 100
    Chin ups: 3x10
    Pull ups: 3x8

Though, I know I've got plenty more in me, at least for most of the exercises. However, I'm busting a nut every last set for squats and overhead press, even though i've dropped to +5 per workout. Eat more, i guess?

6. virus646

virus646 Senior member

7. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

lolwut Personally I like being able to move around in my everyday environment easily and at will.
    What counts as a functional work out? Compound lifts? Parkour? Or am I missing some sort of intermediate? Also, I ran a mile in 8:37 on Tuesday. Today, after a pretty hardcore leg workout in the morning, ran a 6:47 this evening. It was cool.

8. Nil

Nil Senior member

I gouged my left hand fairly severely last week and I've been unable to work out since then. It's too cold to jog outside so I couldn't even do that. It's only been about 10 days or so but I feel soft and fat. Ugh.

9. delirium

delirium Senior member

yeah i hate when stupid stuff gets in the way of the gym. or weather makes it inconvenient...

conversely, i love having a garage gym

10. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

"Functional" can be a load of crap or it can be the real deal. Mostly, we use it as a magnet for fat housewives to waste their fat husband's money to hang out with a nubile young personal trainer.

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Re-read SL5x5 and I guess over time I misinterpretted his DL advice as 'don't do warm up sets for DL as you should be sufficiently warmed up after squats' when in actuality he says to do warm up sets. So that will increase my volume in Work Out B.

I'm going to try slightly increasing TUT in the eccentric and lift more explosively in the concentric using a slightly lower weight than my current 5x5 maxes and see if that helps with plateaus.

12. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

fuck me, I ruined my leg workout this week by doing tabatas for reclining sit-ups. My hip flexors are so sore I can't even sleep without keeping my legs bent, nevermind doing squats.

13. volatility smile

volatility smile Senior member

So, assuming you're consuming an adequate amount of protein, is there really much point in sticking to a certain macronutrient ratio?

14. otter

otter Senior member

very painful, you need some a deep massage ...happy ending optional

complex carbs and good fats are just as important

its also about nutrient timing...eat high/medium GI carbs before and after workouts

15. APK

APK Senior member

its also about nutrient timing...eat high/medium GI carbs before and after workouts

Great, now Why will be around soon.