1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

I'd say thats a very normal width bench, if anything for someone quite tall that would be slightly narrow.

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

halloweeen
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. Eason

Eason Senior member

Are you going as a 12 year old boy's body?

lol I kid, I kid.

4 people like this.
  4. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Just OHPed a plate for the first time (a couple singles but still). Feels pretty fuckin good.

4 people like this.
  5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Rotate your fists backwards to give your biceps a peak...

6. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Supinate

7. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

A bit late to the cut / bulk discussion but I thought I could add something.

There is a point of diminishing returns in regards to bulking. When you're "fat" (over 17-18%), your body is not as efficient in storing nutrients and a bigger % of them will convert to fat than added muscle.Hormone levels can also take a toll when you get fatter. TKJTG said a while back that his best strength gains happen when he's coming right out of a cut. That's because he's lean and his body "needs" the calories and nutrients. This is a strong argument for cutting down first (don't have to be sub 10%) and to do shorter cut bulk cycles. Another argument for cutting first is that a lot of casual gym goers find it more pleasing to first get lean and then add mass o that, in contrast to get fat and have a huge cut to do eventually, which they might not ever be able to cope with.

On the other hand, you can make a lot of quality gains as a beginner and you can take full advantage of that with a bulk. Cutting too soon and too far and you might even damage your hormones. If you're a teenager or just "young", your test levels are generally at their best and thus a controlled bulk is good.

Whatever you do, one of the most important aspects of cutting / bulking is how you handle the transition period. I really believe in once you've reached your goal weight (wether it's a cut or bulk), you want to maintain there for a while, Your body has to understand that this is your new weight. It's called changing "set-point", or something like that. If you come out of a deep cut and just shove 3500 calories per week right in, you will get fat faster. By the same logic, if you've bulked up to your goal weight and just immediately drop 500 calories per day, you will lose muscle.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

lol @ lifting since dawn of man comment.

I didn't get seriously involved in fitness until about 2.5 years ago

9. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

What do you consider an intermediate lifter? Didn't you say your max bench was 185 a few pages back?

10. Eason

Eason Senior member

185 with a slingshot, so might be more like 165

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I've done 165 5 x 5. Benched 200, paused benched 185. Pause bench is hard. I squat and deadlift 150-200lbs over what I consider to be the novice people in this thread.

Oh really? That's good progress. I just thought you were someone who lifted in highschool etc and continue lifting after.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  12. Eason

Eason Senior member

I don't think it's accurate to call a 30 lbs squat "novice" and that you aren't novice because you're squatting 225. A 30 lbs squat isn't even the bar.

225 and 315 deadlift are considered novice numbers for most bodyweights because you can get there pretty easily with 3-6 months of training. It's the next 90+ lbs to the lifts that is difficult to add.

13. tesseract

tesseract Senior member

I'm not trying to insult you. I just wouldn't consider anyone benching under 2 plates to be intermediate. I would consider myself low intermediate and my pre cut maxes were 335/425/455.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Hah. I'll let you go on thinking I squat 230. I don't blame you for hating me. You started this thread in '09 and in less than a year of steady training I have a total close to you and will end up passing you next year.

15. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I lifted in High School, yes. But then I took about 5 years off through my senior year of HS and all of college and picked it back up as a med student. That's about the time I started posting on here and in this thread. My pictures I posted at that time were pretty DYEL in retrospect.

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Gotcha, that's good progress. I wish I was athletic in Highschool, was too caught up in playing in bands and drama with girls.

17. Eason

Eason Senior member

lol dude, you bring this on yourself:

You posted a video of yourself squatting 2 plates for 5, it looked tough. You posted a video of you pulling 315 with a rounded back and a belt with meet commands.

So, what is your total? I mean, I don't powerlift at all, I just weight-lift for fun, but it's 285 bench 325 squat 425 deadlift = 1035 total. Not good at all for someone weighing 176 lbs, I know. I'd be frankly embarrassed to show up to a meet with such a low total. But for you to pass that in a year, assuming I don't get any stronger then you would need to... put more than 100 lbs on your squat, deadlift, and bench each.

In fact, I have a deal for you.
    If you post videos of yourself doing your lifts and meeting a total that is higher than 1035 (my current total, I'll give you a year's headstart) before December 31st, 2014, then I will donate $100 (USD) in your name to the charity of your choice.
    I'm sure there are some needy people out there who could use the help. Do the right thing. :)

5 people like this.
  18. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

My response to all the weird pullup talk in this thread. You can view in HIGH DEF for all the exciting love handle action!

5 people like this.
  19. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Okay, that sounds great actually. Deal.

And for the record I smoked both those squats and deadlift, form is near perfect.

20. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

$100 to a charity of his choice? Truly sounds like a win-win for him. He gets gains PLUS can benefit others.

2 people like this.