Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Chicken breast, pork tenderloin, super lean beef... in my experience they have all yielded about 80-90g of protein per raw pound. So its just a heads up for anybody doing quick macro checks.

2. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Senior member

Kinda OT but any of you's guys ever experience sleep paralysis? I had this happen last night for the first time and holy shit is it freaky! I had the deal where I looked over and saw someone standing next to the bed, pulling the covers off of me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

3. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Yeah, I had that once.
    As I woke up, I saw my younger sister (who was about 5 years old at the time) leaning over me while holding a giant knife. Freaked out and then she just disappeared in the air.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yall suck at swimming. When you guys thought I was fat I could workout with the lifegaurds, swim out the the bouys then swim 5 sets of bouys then back to the shore, then run back to where you started. Don't know how many miles that was, but we would do this for four sets and I would nearly die about 3x but make it.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What's your height again? I eat like 1g/lb of bodyweight, managed to gain 15lbs doing that so something must have been right. I hear all the time though that 1g/lb is fine while I also hear 2g/lb etc etc.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

i don't know if your experience differs from actual science, but according to the national USDA database on food values, chicken breast would yield 140g protein/lb. lean beef and chicken, about 110-120g protein/lb.

7. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Sorry I was thinking of chicken thighs, not breasts. And I think those numbers are from after cooking. In any case, deal with your PMS on your own time, this is a thread for men, not brooding teenage girls.

8. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I'm 6'3. I just love to eat a lot of meat while cutting since it makes me full.
    When I decided to shed some fat I believe I was around 15% at 185 which would make me 12% now at 180 given that I haven't lost any muscle.

I look a lot more deflated than I'd thought after just a month of cutting. I suppose it's just all the water weight I've lost, but I'm not sure I wanna go sub 10 bf any longer. Don't want to do a massive bulk to 200 lbs or whatever would have been reasonable for my height, because I can't stand the puffiness I get at around 15%. Also like my clothes too much. Will probably cut until strength is affected and then just lean bulk from there.

Umm... a pound is 450 grams and 100 grams of lean meat is always 20 grams of protein. (450/100)*20=90 grams. Or am I totally missing the point?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You sure are. I'm not exactly sure where that 100g meat = 20g protein. There's 28g in an ounce and 16oz in a pound. According to the database,

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/s...+Changes&Qv=.28&Q2020=1.0&Q2021=1.0&Q2022=0.5

an ounce of cooked chicken breast has 8.7g protein. i'll round up to 9 for the sake of our calculation. so 9x16 = 144.

Or, if you prefer to use self.com (a little more user friendly):

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2

OR, if you prefer a full pound breakdown:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/s...Changes&Qv=4.48&Q2020=1.0&Q2021=1.0&Q2022=0.5

Lists 138g/lb. I say just round up to 140.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Get it pretty often, like once weekly. Always when I have a mid day nap. Is fairly scary.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I betcha it happens more in the training population. I get it sometimes, use to get it a lot when i squated 5x a week.

12. milosh

milosh Senior member

Wow. That must be fucked up.

13. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Senior member

What's funny is I didn't take a nap on Sunday, ironically enough, because I wanted to sleep well that night...little did I know! It happened within like five or ten minutes of me falling asleep, I think I was so damned tired from a crazy night out on Saturday that my body went straight to the REM cycle while my brain hadn't caught up yet. From what I've read it can be caused by a fucked up sleep schedule or being overly tired, which I was.

I can see it being kind of prevalent in the weight-training community too as I also read use of stimulants can be a trigger, pre-workout shit is kind of that. I may be reaching with that assumption though and have done zero research to back it up.

Actually, after reading about it today and realizing it's an actual, documented "thing" I found it pretty fascinating. But now that it's about bedtime I'm sorta freaked, it was probably the scariest thing I've ever experienced besides being in one car wreck when I was eighteen, which wasn't even that bad of a crash.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Car wrecks are one of the things I'm super scared of. I'd be fuckin crushed if I had back problems / have to be on pain killers my whole life because some asshole rear ended me. I don't get into cars with people that havn't proven to me their good drivers. I usually end up driving all the time or drive other people's cars.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Now imagine being rear ended multiple times and having to go to therapy/surgery/doctors for each one...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013