1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

"45 degree military press" is what it's typically called ("Military" technically if their feet stance is correct). Not a lift you'll see 99.9% of people do.

As with incline bench, anything more than 45 degrees recruits mostly the shoulders. Standing though, you're recruiting stabilzers more and also offloading some of it onto your lats- think stiff-arm lat pressdowns, especially doing them wide grip but then you are resisting the negative motion.

I imagine the guys you saw were doing them very light... perhaps bar only (?) whether they knew what they were doing or not.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Had a huge man roid rage at me for asking for a spot today. Yelled a bit and then told me to use a fucking smith machine. Cary Grants right. Its just an incline bench press.

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

^^Except for the lat recruitment/gravity from standing... 45 degree bench is primarily hitting the chest- standing you're hitting the delts for the most part.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Didn't notice he said they were standing up. Never seen anyone do that.

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I lol'd at roid rage.

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Had a huge man roid rage at me for asking for a spot today. Yelled a bit and then told me to use a fucking smith machine. Cary Grants right. Its just an incline bench press.

sad. rage at a simple asking for a spot what would a real issue cause him to do.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

Its quite funny watching him try to skip rope. Because of how huge he is he usually only gets like 3 hops and then trips himself up and fucking roars every time.

8. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

You're prob'ly better off not getting a spot from him. He'll be pissed off you couldn't squeeze out that last rep and drop the bar on your head... [​IMG]

9. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Genuine curiousity

What is the value of lifts that sacrifice weight to recruit more stabilizers

I mean right now I bench primarily with DBs cause I was cheating one side w/BBs.

But I see dudes benching with their feet on the bench at what I assume is a lower weight than what they could do "planted". Is it just personal choice/broscience or are there legit benefits

10. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

About that. I saw something really weird yesterday and wasn't really sure of what to think of it. There were two guys doing a military press inclined. Like, they were standing up like standard presses and pushing the barbell away from them in a 45 degree way. Was frikking weird. Anyone saw something similar?

Maybe it was an oldschool olympic press? It's been discussed on Rippetoe's forum.
    http://startingstrength.com/articles...ress_starr.pdf
    http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...th_tommy_suggs

11. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Nah, it was really just a standing incline bench press basically. I don't really believe these guys were at a level where that exercise would have been more beneficial than a standard press and bench press routine but oh well, it is better than curls.

12. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

I track my gym success with a list of denim cuts I can no longer wear.

I finally got a pair of Epaulet trousers and was pretty disappointed when even the fat guy cut didn't fit my ass/thighs...

I pr'd again for my squat last week... so thats cool..

13. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Do you guys ever run into dudes in your gym that are just naturally freakishly strong?

Yesterday this kid asked me for a spot on the benchpress, he was about 6'3" and couldnt have weighed 175lbs. When I saw he had 225lb loaded up I thought, oh boy, time to get my upright rows in. He then proceeds to bang out 8 easy reps.

Wtf, he looked a guy who ought to struggle with 135!

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

If any of you guys have an extra hour and a half, i seriously recommend you watch this:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

15. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Do you guys ever run into dudes in your gym that are just naturally freakishly strong?

Yesterday this kid asked me for a spot on the benchpress, he was about 6'3" and couldnt have weighed 175lbs. When I saw he had 225lb loaded up I thought, oh boy, time to get my upright rows in. He then proceeds to bang out 8 easy reps.

Wtf, he looked a guy who ought to struggle with 135!

that kind of thing is pretty common. some people at certain weights just have natural inclinations to certain lifts due to leverage and biomechanics.

however, I wouldn't call what you saw "freakishly" strong by a long shot.

16. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

that kind of thing is pretty common. some people at certain weights just have natural inclinations to certain lifts due to leverage and biomechanics.

however, I wouldn't call what you saw "freakishly" strong by a long shot.

This point is he possessed the exact opposite kind of build that would give a guy any kind of advantage in the bench press. Long, twig-like arms and a 38" chest with no meat on it.

The kid could probably bench over 300lb from what I saw. In my 15 years in various weightrooms, it's not something Ive seen more than once or twice. He was freakishly strong.

17. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Well FWIW even w/all that strength he has no chest or arms visually [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. mrchariybrown

This point is he possessed the exact opposite kind of build that would give a guy any kind of advantage in the bench press. Long, twig-like arms and a 38" chest with no meat on it.

The kid could probably bench over 300lb from what I saw. In my 15 years in various weightrooms, it's not something Ive seen more than once or twice. He was freakishly strong.

did you see him bench over 300? no.

but even if he could and you're calling him "freakishly strong," what do you call everyone in the 181 weight class benching over 350 with a pause on the chest? and what do you call the ones doing 400+???

call someone "freakishly strong" is reserved for those like konstantinovs and tom martin, not some kid in the gym doing 8 reps of 225. if he did what he did, then he's very strong for his bw, I give him that. but freakishly? get the fuck out of here with that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

19. mrchariybrown

also, I should cut back down to 170-175 and rep out 225 eight times for you so you can double to number of times you've seen someone do that.

20. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

today some skinny-fat dude was complaining loudly in the locker room about how he can't squat or dead b/c of his "injured" lower back and how those movements are very dangerous to your back. I almost had a mind on me to say: "Maybe YOU just don't know how to fucking squat" But I restrained myself.
    Similar incident at my gym today.... Guy: "You know, squatting that deep is going to ruin your knees." Me: "No.... you just tell yourself that because it's difficult and you don't wanna do it." Guy proceeds to go back to doing 20 rep sets of seated calf raises.