1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Distinguished Member

I think you underestimate how grimy chicks can get. If you are truly a 9, getting one of her friends to smang after supposedly writing you off shouldn't be a problem. Women like to be chosen by dudes with options.

--------------------------------------

I feel like I am too old to learn how to swim (30 in September). I have been "doing laps" at my gym pool and I am still terrible. A big issue is I can't fucking float. If I lay out I settle about 1 ft below the surface. I can sit at the bottom of the pool no problem. And I can't breathe between strokes. What should I do rhetbrahs?

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

i don't float either and i'm a terrible swimmer it's awful.

3. mike1445

mike1445 Senior Member

watch youtube videos and practice, i taught swim lessons in HS/college, mostly little kids but tried to teach some friends but they were always so embarassed or frustrated that they never got better. keep doing laps and refining your kicks/strokes. such a great workout, wish my gym had a pool.

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Distinguished Member

Tempted to try creatine. Worth it? Only gonna buy the cheapest pure monohydrate powder.

I'm on a cut though and have read mixed opinions on it. Negative would be more bloat due to water weight and positive would be easier to maintain strength on a deficit. Thoughts?

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

Do I think it's worth it? Meh, not really.

But give it a shot if you want. It's cheap and it's just creatine. Nothing groundbreaking.

6. GraphicNovelty

i didn't get good results from creatine on my cut.

When I went back to maintenance after the cut though, it kicked in again and I looked great. Then again I like creatine because makes me look both bigger and more cut, not less.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

7. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

i've been teaching swim lessons for 10 years, give me a little while and i'll write an essay on it

the very short version is that if you aren't floating, you aren't relaxing enough. working up to front crawl with proper bilateral breathing is spectacularly stupid hard at first for a beginner so you'll have to put a lot of time into the basics before you can progress to that.

8. TeeKay

TeeKay Distinguished Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Don't bother with anything other than monohydrate. None of the other forms have been studied. As far as bloat goes, it's minimal and most of the water gain is intracellular(good). The endurance gains I got from it are minimal(usually +1 rep on a given exercise), but considering how cheap it is I feel it would be silly not to take it.

During my bulk I did 5g/day, on cut I'm doing 2g/day(since its what's in my PWO[inb4 shitstorm over how useless PWOs are])...has helped maintain some endurance with minimal bloat.

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

I'm interested in this.

I don't swim much but when I do, I would like to not nearly drown each time.

I used to be an awesome swimmer as a child (as well as a child could swim), but now I can't that well.

Well, to be more specific, I can swim "fine" but I can't float. Which sucks because when I'm in a pool that's all I really want to do.

I end up "relaxing" on my back and sinking.

10. conceptionist

conceptionist Distinguished Member

You took it while doing IF?
    If so, when did you take it during the day?

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Distinguished Member

apropos of swimming, it's pretty weird that a number of folks really cannot swim. back when i was in national service, we'd have the swim test and basically out of every platoon there'd be a handful of dudes for each that couldn't swim the required distance.

12. mike1445

mike1445 Senior Member

if you're not using your legs for propulsion then they just become dead weight. give swimming with a kickboard a shot. it makes you look like a 6yo whether you're a pro swimmer or just learning so just ignore that fact. Its a great way to see how good or how bad your kicking is and its a great workout after just a few laps.

13. jarude

jarude Distinguished Member

legs provide balance and allow you to maintain optimal body position during front crawl; they aren't for propulsion. yes, you want to kick, but only for the sake of having them do something so that they don't sink and throw off your body position.

as a novice, trying to "kick harder" through front crawl is a great way to mess up your form and exhaust yourself.

14. GraphicNovelty

i took it with my BCAA's when i'd do fasted training. With my PWO shake if i did it otherwise.

Ignore the carb uptake nonsense. It'll get into your system regardless if what you take it with.

15. mike1445

mike1445 Senior Member

conceded, meant only that they can help movement and not just be drag