1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

See a doctor if its that bad. Or get some voodoo floss bands and a across ball and fix it yourself

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

i know you're all excited about strapping yourself up with rubber bands but 'voodoo floss' can seriously fuck shit up even worse in certain cases

3. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

If you really want to test hook grip feels, try repping some heavy snatch pulls or snatch DLs. I hate those exercises.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

How? It's a pretty damn effective device and is like a wrecking ball approach to any sort of injury or pain. I mean I can see if you're dumb and don't know how to properly check if you still have some blood flow going in the area.

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

yes lack of blood flow to your tissues is generally bad news but i did not mean a knee-jerk problem like that. we talked this over with my PT and she wasn't all that keen on the forced gliding of the fascia and all that shit that the treatment entails or something

not to say one shouldn't do it at all if it helps, but as with most things it's not the answer to everything.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Gonna attempt 315 bench press next week fuark

3 people like this.
  7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I agree it's not the answer to everything, seriously injuries need to be taken care of with professional care. Although it is damn effective for every day bumps and bruises from lifting. And it's always the small stuff that goes ignored which then turns into larger injuries.

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

No swipes but Coldsnap's SN in the context of his constant suggestions to "voodoo floss thru the pain" is kind of funny :laugh:

Pain is a message.... you have to listen to your body. If you do something and it hurts, your body is saying "yo dont do dat". Taking time off + RICEing have pretty much ALWAYS worked for me. And when it didn't, making adjustments (i.e. sleeves, straps) or changing my routine to get rid of aggravating exercises did. There's no shame or really anything lost in down time.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

hate. let me tell you how much I've come to hate pulls since i began to lift.

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I was just curious if the sleeve will buy me time to recover slowly while not putting off the exercise altogether. The sleeve will give me enough leverage until I do not need it anymore. Right?

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Gt I don't think the rheband ones will. I got mine a few weeks ago and they are nice for keeping the joint warm but don't offer much leverage

I just think its important to be able to take care of yourself. This year that I've lifted steady I've passed a shit ton of people who were in the same place as me in my gym. Being able to do maintence on myself really helped with this because I've made no concessions in my lifting.

but yea to each his own, whatever works for you

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Such strange use of the word leverage.

I will never go back to a rehband style sleeve after using triple ply elastic again.

13. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

Sigh... even with the 5 lb weight loss, I'm now selling off more clothes and repurchasing the same damn things in larger sizes. I guess this is the life of a dream bulker.

14. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

lol yeah. leverage, torque, power (and "explosiveness") word use really has me struggling.

Still, nowhere near to the level of "nerve flossing" and all this weird rubber band use. So strange.

15. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Never used them, not even foam rolling. Is that something to be proud? Don't think so but oh well....:foo:

16. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

20 pound PR for a 1RM.. and got it for two doubles.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

17. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea Charly, letting that strength marinate like a good stew.

18. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I said this before and got blasted here. Crawl before you walk. But I was wrong before. Eventually, walking should be the goal. A desk jockey with upper/lower cross syndromes, internally rotated shoulders and all the other shit that comes with... well... being a desk jockey... needs to correct all that shit first and get balanced, then work their way into the shit...

2 people like this.
  19. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I used to do the 3 a week IA SPBR split and would be totally gassed out by the last exercise. That's a pretty low volume routine with 5 lifts a day or so.

Now, I do 4 sessions a week, with higher frequency for the main lifts, 3-5 more worksets per session and higher volume on the assistance. I've also added 1 or 2 light cardio sessions a week. Of course, I felt like shit the first weeks switching over but over time I have adapted. I'm not entirely sure you should always listen to what your body is telling you about recovery. Granted, injuries are a bit different and should be allowed to heal properly before getting back on it, but the standard "feeling sore and beat up" after heavy lifting can be worked around. On some rest days I feel like total shit, sore all over, and I've noticed that I feel a lot better if I perform some kind of active recovery instead of just laying around. Being more active helps me a lot. Some days I've contemplated skipping the gym have turned out to be PR days.

I've read quite a lot lately about overtraning and higher frequency heavy training, like the Easterns Europeans. If I've got the time to be in the gym that frequently, I'd like to try it out at some point. I skipped the whole "full body high frequency SS style" programs when I was a beginner so I have no personal experience with it. I do know however that my main lifts are better now that I practice them more often and I wonder how I'd do squatting and benching 3 times per week (with regulated intensity).

Matt Perryman has written some interesting stuff on the subject:
    http://www.myosynthesis.com/guide
    http://www.myosynthesis.com/squat-every-day
    http://body-improvements.com/2012/01/31/training-frequency-recovery-and-matt-perryman/

Glenn Pendlay and John Broz also have some interesting stuff.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013