Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

wow, he really does

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Much thicker, not really defined by your guys standards, ALOT bigger shoulders. I might do a cut or I might just eat maint at 185lbs and see where that takes me. I could care less about how I look though, I'm mostly concerned with strength and continuing to not have any injures because I know in the long run that will get me the body comp I would eventually like.

3. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Matched my PR and squatted 365 today. Didn't have a spotter so it was a bit iffy, had to grind through it.

4. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

You can't really make your upper body grow a lot more than your lower body unless you work it a lot more, alt. drop squats and deadlifts. Don't do that. It would limit your overall progress. Your upper body will catch up soon enough if you just continue progressing.

I honestly believe you just don't eat the right stuff and the right amount + you don't lift very heavy and progressively overload.

When you've got those down, you first want to check if your mobility is sufficient and if you've got any major postural problems that would hinder you (excessive kyphosis and anterior pelvic tilt, for instance). If it's bad, start working on mobility ASAP and do as much as you can, every day. No way around this if it's bad.

As for the actual lifting, you want to make sure you use correct form to work the right muscles, avoid injury and to be able to push more weight. Newer lifters often have problems with proper technique on the major barbell compounds (bench, squat, deadlift). Watch a lot of instructional videos and read as much as you can. Make sure you target the right muscle groups (for instance: don't "bro bench" and end up working your front delts instead of chest, which practically everyone does at a commercial gym).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

5. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Curious what this means because the couple people I've watched benching weren't doing anything weird. Don't really make a habit of watching people bench though. More funny to see them squat.

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I don't buy this. Unless you don't live near a beach/lake/pool

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Is that why you're on a website called "Style Forum"?

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

Plus one. If lifting for strength or "not aesthetics" didn't have any physique changes whatsoever I am extremely skeptical that the people who claim to not care about looks would still lift.

Aesthetics are the least of my worries in terms of goals but I'll be damned if its not something I enjoy the hell out of. Even looking at things through a pure performance standpoint, ultimately aesthetics are a large reason why I'm trying to hit that performance in the first place. Yeah I enjoy the mental aspect and the discipline and whatever but I think we all just wanna look good, rite?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

While I do take pride looking like a sexy stud... it is not my goal or all that important to me.

But given that I want to be competitive in my weight class, that means having a lot of muscle mass and being the sexy stud that I am.. which I don't mind I guess :D

10. mrchariybrown

Nah, I just want a world record and to have a 500+ bench, 700+ squat, and 800+ deadlift.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

when you gonna start taking steroids?

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I confess that the aesthetic benefits of lifting keeps me lifting. My gains over the last 1.5 years have been significant and noticeable. Lots of mirin going on during my yoga classes, in particular. :nodding:

13. Flame

Flame Senior member

Dat feel when you front squat what your gym buddy back squats.

14. mrchariybrown

Probably once I start to approach 240's or if I can't break a 450 bench, 650 squat, and 700 deadlift. I'm fairly certain I can do those naturally but if worse comes to worse, time to implement some steroids. (0)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

15. virus646

virus646 Senior member

If I may, why the weight limit/goal? I understand the numbers but am curious on the weight.