1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I've been learning to ride a motorcycle, took a fall today. Was only going like 5 MPH, and it was my fault and stupidity that caused me to drop the bike. I tried to fight it, but it's hard to hold up a couple of hundred pounds when you're not expecting it and off balance, dropped it on my right side/hip. Kind of bruised and tender, but I feel like i'm still running off of a little adrenaline, hoping not to wake up tomorrow sore as fuck, as it is squat day and this'll really fuck shit up.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Take the class. It's pretty good. I wore my PS jeans the first day which was the dumbest thing I could have done. Ended up with a bunch of bruising all over the back of my knees from bending my legs and was uncomfortable as fuck all day. Was riding a brand new CBR250 though, pretty nice bike :)

3. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Wow, didn't know you rode as well, thought CTK was the only other rhet brah that did.

I did take the MSF course, completed it and got my certificate. This was on some back streets in my parents town on a friends bike, which was thankfully ok.

What do you own?

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I just took the class. Then bought a house and a truck so haven't had the money to get the bike yet. My license doesn't expire for another 50 years though so I got time :lol:

1 person likes this.
  5. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Decided I was a little too lean for my liking so over the past few days drastically increased cals. Abs quickly fading away and up a couple pounds. Can't wait to see what this does for strength gains over the next couple weeks. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Is there a tangible benefit from a 1k cal surplus over 500 or 1.5k over 1k? At what point do you stop getting return on the extra cals?

7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I can't quantify it but more food = more gains so long as your training keeps up with it.

8. Eason

Eason Senior member

Your body can only synthesize so much muscle a week/month. Anything you're eating over that is going to your fat storage.

9. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Guy who passed out on the 180kg frontsquat made it!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

The general suggestion is 500 calories over maintenance. It's best to aim for approximately 1 lb gain per week. Anything excess to this is probably fat gain. Play with different calorie ranges to find your body's sweet spot.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It really depends what your goals are.

People say that 0.5lbs per week is the limit to muscle mass gain, but I'm not sure whether anyone has proven that 500, 1000, 2000 excess calories comes closest to this maximal muscle gain. It's an equilibrium, not an absolute. Of course, there are diminishing returns after a certain amount of excess calories.

If you're someone that just needs to put on a shitload of mass in the shortest time possible (e.g. for certain sports where mass is critical and there's no weight divisions) then I don't really see a problem in going above 500cal excess. If being lean is part of your endgoal though, it's going to make cutting more tough.

Personally I don't ever plan to go below 10% body fat because my sport is open weight so I don't mind packing on an extra bit of fat.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I've been reading about the highbar and lowbar squat alot, been on my mind. Think I finally worked it out.
    Wow, I was thinking that whole video wtf is that spotter going to do in that position. But give that guy a damn medal.

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

My general non-scientific theory behind it is if you eat more you recover faster and feel better and have more energy and if you weigh more you can lift heavier weight. Those two combined = all kindsssss of gains.

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Shoulder's still all fucking weird. Gonna lift anyways, it's leg day so who cares

15. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Man it is tough to not lift when you are home all day anyway. My wrist/elbow is like 60% recovered and I'm tempted, but I know holding out will ensure full recovery. Plus my 36" straps haven't come in yet. Its a struggle. I got a million other things to do today anyway...

16. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

i reaggravated my shoulder that i injured in highschool from benching. it always happens after a few weeks of benching all the way to the chest. any suggestions? i may have to go back to going down an inch above the chest...

on a positive note i took a week off and hit pr 375 dl

17. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Bros, I have to eat more. What's a good calorie tracking app for android

18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

another pic from my new gym--it's got one room with all these old school bodybuilding charts.

[​IMG]

19. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

20. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Can you stretch your glutes?