1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Since we're on the topic of pants, do you guys who actually wear suits wear pleated trousers? My flat front trousers that fit me perfectly in the waist now are way too tight in the seat... major pocket bowing. Not sure if this can be alleviated by just letting the seat out.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Damn shots fired on JTS today. I was about to go to that dudes clinic in Charlotte, but not really sure now.

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

5. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm going to have to agree with Travis. I fucking hate the way Rippletits teaches the squat.

Anyways, if any of you don't know Travis Mash is one the strongest lifters to have ever walked the earth.

He is also my coach's former training partner.

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Rippetoe teaches squatting like every other person. How much hip drive and the angle of your lower back is up to you and your leverages.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I'm actually going to a clinic with travis marsh soon. So maybe he can coach me better, but I squat like Rippetoe teaches it and i stay pretty damn vertical unless I'm completely gassed.

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

If you mention John Pinder, he'll probably hurt you extra good :)

9. virus646

virus646 Senior member

On another note, I got sick last week and I was curious to see how much weight I lost during those painful days. Weighted myself yesterday at the gym and lost 15 lbs(mostly water derp). I was like, DAMN, I wonder how Charly will react if he saw that :embar:

Now to gain those back :D

10. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

Interesting read on that Travis Mash article. In the grand scheme of things I'm still VERY new to powerlifting and the only exposure I've had is what I've learned from Rippletoe. However, I feel like I should stay open to other sources of info and try shit until I find the best technique that works for me. Very interesting. I'm gonna have to give this a lot of thought and put it into practice once I get back from my trip.

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

fwiw you pretty much squat exactly like Travis Marsh. It's funny though that he coaches that Nuckolos guy but he squats with almost all hamstrings.

he squats after this dude in the link, low bar semi verticle torso, a lot of quads.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  12. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

VLSI: Was in a similar boat. Thought I could remedy the stalling with eating and sleeping more, but the only thing that happened was getting fat. Took forever, but once I fixed my technique (not that it's great now), started progressing again nicely.

13. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

Yea I've never squatted exactly like Rip recommends, because I tried and just couldn't do it comfortably, but the article just reminds me that I should keep an open mind when reading/watching this stuff.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Why do people insist on critiquing SS as if it is written for elite powerlifters? What part of "Starting" is unclear?

2 people like this.
  15. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Read the article, watched the videos. That's a whole lotta fucking hype over next to nothing.

1 person likes this.
  16. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

My problems with SS comes with the fact that it's commonly recommended to ALL new lifters, not taking into account what their fitness goals are. Any time someone online asks for a good beginner's routine, SS gets thrown at them without taking into consideration what they hope to gain by lifting weights.

If their goal is to squat more, then sure, SS is good.
    If their goal is to look better(which I'd wager is a pretty common goal), they may want to look elsewhere.

17. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

my go-to recommendation for a beginner's routine is stripped 5x5 with some extra arm work.

18. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

SS the book is great. SS the program has some issues, mainly that it focuses too heavily on the legs for your average lifter, and that the rapid progression (10 pounds per session on squat) is dangerous for someone inexperienced. Really easy to blow out your lower back if you're adding 30 pounds a week, have shitty form, and aren't eating enough.

I do greyskull LP with some of the stupid shit (neck braces, anyone) removed.

19. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

^ hmmm the version of SS I've been doing is 5lb progression, 10lb progression on DL. It definitely is leg heavy though.

1 person likes this.
  20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Ha won a USAW contest.