1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Minimum 2700 cal per day.

2. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

This is surprising, it is also surprising that Eason has hit 50+(?)

How old are you Eason?

3. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I stalled once or twice on SS, eating more remedied the situation right quick. If you think you're eating enough, you probably aren't. I remember bitching about eating on here and Charly and someone else mentioned that they routinely gagged while putting down food it was that much. Don't think, just eat.

As for the creatine, like I said, give it a week or two to build up in your system. I did not really notice the difference until about two weeks in when I was grinding out reps I knew I should have failed. Pretty cool when you first notice it, but then it's whatever. Keep taking it.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

You better have read the book and not just the wiki.

When I started I did 5/3/1 for 8 months then about 3 months or so ago I started a LP like SS. Lots of people told me I'd have to reset fast because I'm not a "beginner anymore". I'm on my 13th or so cycle and havn't reset yet.

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

At my current calorie intake I'm already gaining a pound a week, maybe closer to 1.2-1.3 actually.

Lol, was just kidding about the creatine. Will give it more time.

Coldsnap, I just failed squat at 4x5x185,4x185 and bench at 3x5x150,5x145,4x145. Both of these lifts were already coming off a deload when I previously stalled at 175 and 145 respectively.

[​IMG]
    *I only noted creatine so I could account for water weight.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  6. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Oh yeah, deloads are important too.

Is your form proper? What about mentally, are you actually in there to crush weights? I feel like a good training session is just as much mental as it is physical, if i'm not in the right state of mind now matter how my body feels, I won't get much done.

That's why I don't think i'd be able to lift in a home gym by myself like yours, while it's awesome to have that setup, I kind of thrive off of the energy in the gym and other people. I don't even like when I go to my gym early in the morning and i'm the only one there.

7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm the opposite. I'd rather not be around like 99% of the gym go'ers. There's only 3 or 4 people I don't mind having around in my gym. The rest can go fuck off.

3 people like this.
  8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Tiger what jawns are those btw?

I dream of a garage gym, but I still need the advice of people around me. I lift with 3 other dudes that are prepping for the same meet and it's really useful to have them spot me or give me some tips. Plus when they spot me I usually get 1-2 more reps out of the squat from them pushing me on.

Interesting. Well you did add 10lbs to your squat and 5 lbs to your bench. Guess deload again and hope to fail next time at 195 155..

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I think forms ok, will post vids over in my log on IA since it gets less traffic. Maybe I'm putting too much strain on shoulder during bench? Mentally I'm fine, I dislike rest days and look forward to hitting the weights again.

I like the home gym set up. Crank the music and don't worry about anything else. Even when I was going to a gym, I went at like 12-1am so I was the only or one of only 2-3 people in there.

10. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

My gym is $70 a month and closes at 10 on weekdays and 8 on weekends. Jealous. It's annoying living in a $$ area.

Make sure you're getting 8+ hours of sleep, too.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

indeed.

love lifting with athletes, as for the rest it's a mixed bag of mostly shit.

1 person likes this.
  12. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I used to dislike going to commercial gyms but doing weighted planks has made it super easy to holler at cardiobunnies on the stretching mats.

I actually hooked up with a girl I met at the gym haha.

13. mrchariybrown

Lifting with other athletes is an awesome experience.

I don't get to do it very often but when I do, I always have a great training session.

14. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

VLSI:
    I'm also a "beginner" (in terms of how much weight I move) and I've had some stalling issues as well in the past.
    I strongly believe most of them can be attributed to:

1) not enough recovery, which is related to not eating enough, not sleeping enough and too high frequency (or more specifically, too little sleep and food in relation to said frequency). I also feel a lot better doing active recovery and some kind of cardio 1-2x a week on my rest days rather than just laying around on the couch

2) bad technique, which I fixed by mobility work, proper warm up sets and more volume

Struggled a bit with the LP this summer even though I was bulking. Weights are moving up a lot faster now that I've increased my cal intake and get better recovery. Increased my 5RM for bench by 10 pounds in relation to last week, Could only get 4 reps on the second set though. Good progress anyway,

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Thanks. I know the whole eat more thing, but I'm reluctant to eat more when I'm already gaining weight at a rate roughly double what I could feasibly be building in muscle. My sleep has been very on point these past 3 weeks or so. 9-5 almost everything day, sometimes I stay up until 10 on the weekends ;) or sleep in a bit on a rest day since I don't need to get up for a workout. Active recovery is definitely something to explore, I have an otherwise sedentary lifestyle/job.

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

On my off days I go to a park and walk around with my shirt off for 30-40 minutes listening to podcasts. Good times.

17. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I do yoga, which helps a ton with form and mobility but makes eating enough even harder. Also the warrior poses after squat days are brutal

18. Eason

Eason Senior member

Just turned 28. Considering my age I don't think it's that slutty.

19. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

You dirty, dirty whore.

20. mrchariybrown

Yea, I don't think most sloots admit they're sloots, you sloot.