1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Conceptionist how's your bulk coming?

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

What is a reasonable estimate for LBM weekly gains for someone ~2 years into the lifting game? I think I might need to re-evaluate my goals for this bulk. FWIW BB.com says you can put on 1lb of lean mass every 23.3 days, which means probably a hair under 3lb a month for a 50/50 split

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I was reading am article on t-nation that also talked about how increased muscle led to increased glycogen stores so some of the weoght is also that, not just pure fat gain. I don't know how accurate or significant that effect would be though.

4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

When I bulked last year I gained 45 pounds over 6 months and between 15-20 pounds of that was muscle.

5. Cool The Kid

You probably answered this like 37 times but what were your strength gains like and how long did it take you to melt that shit off

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What did you do to track this?

I plan to gain 20lb over the next 3.5 months and if 10 of that turned out to be muscle I'd be thrilled.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Bench went from 245 --> 295
    Squat went from 315 --> 405x3(with questionable form :p)
    Deadlift went from 365 --> 435

Dieted over 20 weeks, with the last 10 being strict diets.

Didn't track it at the time...don't know how I could. After my cut I just compared it to my before photo/weight and saw the difference. Pre-bulk was 165 at like 8-10% BF, after cut was 185 at about the same BF.

1 person likes this.
  8. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

Oh how I envy your Bench

9. Cool The Kid

Get a body fat caliper, they give the shits away w/big enough purchases from BB.com

*EDIT* Use w/caution though. I just used mine and it says I have like 13% BF lmao. Thats a lie, though my legs are pretty fucking lean.

10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

glycogen is stored inside muscle (and liver) so if you ask me it still counts as LBM.

Otherwise you might as well say "I don't want to count my mitochondria, nuclei and golgi body as part of my muscle. Only actin and myosin"

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Exactly, they were counting it as lbm, just not as muscle mass. But given that's it's stored in muscle... it does seem like a questionable differentiation.

12. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Obvs can't be too scientific about it but when I did my peak week glycogen(plus associated water) accounted for approx 5lbs of bodyweight.

13. Cool The Kid

Thanks

I am about 4 months into this bulk and put about 70 on my squat and maybe 20-30 on my bench. Also put about 3" on my damn waist though. All that shit will come out with the wash

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Yep. Cutting is so much easier and faster than bulking. There's a reason we talk about bulks in terms of months and cuts in terms of weeks. Just embrace the bulk and when it comes time, the fat will come off pretty easily if you do it right.

15. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Hearing this makes me feel so much better about being on dat dreamer bulk right now.

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Can't wait to see fat face Mark.

Squat has gone up 62 lbs so far in 9 weeks. Starting to feel heavy but if I manage to stay tight I grind through them well.

I fully endorse Voodoo Bands, wrap that shit around my elbow and shoulder post and pre workout and shit feels amazing.

I tell myself there is a beautiful butterfly under this cocoon of fat every morning.

1 person likes this.
  17. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I'll be bloody happy if I can put on 45lbs in 6 months but I don't think it's happening.

I'd actually be very happy with half of that, tbh

18. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

A .lb a week worked well for me.

19. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Reese's puffs has become my new bulking food... finally can eat cereal :)

20. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I cannot find any shirts that fit me.. way too short to be wearing Xls. Main problem is arm holes way too small and length way too long.