1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Too embarrassed by that score? :)

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Yeah in order to become doc they require us to take 4 years of literature, basketweaving, calculus, horticulture, and a bunch of other useless shit so we can have a nice base of student loans to build our debt mountain off of.

3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

The way it is here is they do first year health sciences and then the most competitive ones get in.

I used to do a fair bit of teaching med students in undergraduate labs. My impression was that the overwhelming majority of them did not understand even basic concepts of natural selection or other core ideas in biology, but were awesome at getting the marks anyway.

It's probably not a bad idea to have people do a bit of learning-for-learning's sake.

Although I do sympathize about the debt.

1 person likes this.
  4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Undergrad was a blast. My birdwatching course(srs) was fucking awesome.

5. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Med students are hoop jumpers

6. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

lol posted this on fb just last week:

"99% of medical school is jumping through hoops and smiling while doing so"

7. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I'm currently bulking and running a decently high volume 3 days a week push/pull/legs split. Wanna incorporate one day of cardio (sprints or low intensity running) and one day for prehab and bodyweight stuff (dips, pullups, pistol squats, etc).

Thinking of laying it out like this:
    Day 1 - legs
    Day 2 - push
    Day 3 - rest
    Day 4 - pull
    Day 5 - prehab and bodyweight lifts
    Day 6 - cardio
    Day 7 - rest
    Repeat

What do you think? Too much work?

8. Eason

Eason Senior member

9. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I feel like you could combine push/pull/BW lifts into one day, and legs/prehab work into another... maybe cut down the volume or alternate exercises and hit everything twice a week. Not sure what kind of cardio you are doing but maybe hit something up in the mornings, fasted. Different strokes for different folks but that's been working for me, could be worth a shot.

10. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Noticing all kinds of gains since I started doing sissy squats. Quads getting juicy with some nice upper quad detail coming in.

Also tried barbell hack squats for the first time. Feels totally unnatural and awkward.

11. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks. Shooting for 345-350 for 2x5 next week.

400 will fall at November's meet.

12. poorman

poorman Senior member

I just started IA SPBR last Mondy and already messed my shoulder benching lol! I'm weak as a bitch!

I seem to be recovering though. It hurt around my shoulder if I tried lifting my arm up any kind of way.

Does it sound like rotator cuff injury?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Sounds like it to me.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I think it will too! You got it! I'd really like to see that.

15. poorman

poorman Senior member

Damn! At least it seems to be feeling better. I think I'm going to need to do to rotator cuff exercises man. Fucking up all my noob gains haha.

p.s. yes I had to fix that weird break in my original post. :embar:

16. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

When doing IA SPDR, you may want to swap out one of the shoulder press exercises for something like lateral raises or upright rows.

On those days, you're doing enough pressing movements that your shoulder are toast by the time you get to those exercises.

17. jarude

jarude Senior member

Not all shoulder pains are cuff injuries. Both of mine ended up being nasty trigger points in my upper back

18. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Second week of routine stressing power-versions of the Sn and C&J and I power snatch for 100kg yesterday. I think there's more to come. Really getting big 2nd pull and fast 3rd pull from all these power movements, hopefully it will carry over when I get back to the full versions.

Also, some dudes are like "Why is he gripping so wide for a deadlift" then I throw the damn thing up over my head. Satisfying.

Charly, after watching some bros at my gym crank out some "massive" bench presses, I think I know how to get your bench up. :teach: See, you're descending too slowly; you should essentially drop the weight on your sternum while thrusting your pelvis in the air and use the "elastic power" of your ribcage in order to catapult the bar off your chest. You could probably get another 40 pounds on your bench easy that way. :foo:

Seriously, though; it would be so nice to see people bench like a real man instead of the bullshit of throwing the bar off their chest. Makes me cringe every time.

19. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Like so:

[Video][/video]

20. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member