Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

grading microecon papers takes all of those because MWG is heavy as fuck shit weighs like at least 4 pounds
    endurance because grading 100 papers is boring as fuck
    speed because i get paid on a paper by paper basis

2. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I lol'ed at the bolded because I remember someone (TK?) going "fuck I hate stairs I'm winded and dripping in sweat by the next floor" earlier ITT.

Also agree with the first line. Strength and conditioning aren't a dichotomy. Sports are indicative of that. And I know a few of us ITT at least play sports at some level, and at least for me quickness and agility >>> bulking and mad liftzzzz for my playing style.

3. TheDelta

TheDelta Member

The real world for a lot people in 1st world countries is sitting behind a desk or some other very nonphysical job. so the gym is really about becoming the person you want to become. Will a certain level of cardiovascular health increase your likelihood of overall health and longevity? sure...but there is only so much of the pie to eat from daily. If you want your strength to increase as fast as possible things like conditioning have to be second priority. and while noone in this thread is an elite strength athlete (totaling elite I mean) it only makes sense to put as much energy as possible toward the your main goal, and if you need to bring up a lagging part do it in 12-16 week blocks where you maintain your current strength and focus on something else.

But what do i know, im a 220 lb fatty trying to cut, so I currently hate any form of cardio!

4. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Wish almond milk had more calories, could easily do GOMAD with this stuff.

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Are you like the masters student who teaches me econ who didn't know what a nash cournot equilibrium is then?

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

kinda like that without the not knowing part

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

8. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Man.. been v. tired this week for some reason.. maybe with moving in all.

I did Gomad with goats milk.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

cumin, lime/lemon juice and feta cheese is the secret to godly quinoa salad

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Don't remember if this has been asked before, but is IA SPBR suitable for complete beginners? My mate was very weak when I had him do try some lifts last week (struggling with 20lbs DB press for 10 reps). I want to make him start that routine since I've done it myself and can guide him, but I'm not sure if the big variety of lifts and decent volume is appropriate for a newbie. Maybe he should focus more on just the compounds at the start.

If he's going to do SPBR, I'm removing one set from all of the accessory lifts for better recovery and so he'll get out of the gym faster. Maybe you can chime in TW, if you're looking.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

hate to break up the idiocy here, but...anyone? opinions? comments? concerns???

12. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

How big of a deficit is 2300 calories? I think you can drop the carbs even lower and up the fat to 90g or so. As far as I know, it's an effective method when the fat loss seems to slow down.

If you get serious carb cravings, you might want to check out carb and calorie cycling. It basically goes like this:
    Workout days: Moderate protein (200-230g), carbs higher (250-350) fat very low (30-50g). Eat pretty much all carbs post workout. Starchy carbs and some fast/sugary (cereal and the like) is ok. Calories are maintanance or -10% or so.
    Rest days: Protein is the same to maybe a bit higher. Carbs are very low (only some fruit, berries and veggies), while fat is moderately high (70-90g). Bigger calorie deficit (-20 to -30%)

13. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

Beginner as in 'never been the gym'? I can't really comment since I was already casually working out and conditioning before trying IA. In that sense I was already familiar with weight training, and so the SPBR was not a huge workload jump.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

conceptionist:

Stripped 5x5 is probably a better starting point. IT'll have him focus on the important lifts. IA SPBR when he maxes out newb gains.

15. Flame

Flame Senior member

Yesterday, AM basketball practice, then front squat + rdl + hypertrophy push-pull @ 5pm.

Thanks to diet advice from you guys, here's dinner @ 8pm.

[​IMG]

chicken tenders and nuggets (plus some spinach, no vis).