Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

when i die I will have the prettiest fascia in the world, they will hang that shit in museums and say it's like silk

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

2. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

WRT nutrient timing, Alan Aragon had a recently published scientific review: http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf

Cliffs:

-high-quality protein dosed at 0.4-0.5 g/kg of LBM both pre- and post-workout close to optimal

-pre- and post-workout meals should be spaced no more than 3-4 hours apart (up to 5-6 if they are large mixed (prot + carb + fat) meals)

-Shifting the training session closer to the pre- or post-exercise meal should be dictated by personal preference, tolerance, and lifestyle/scheduling constraints.

-For the goal of maximizing rates of muscle gain, these findings support the broader objective of meeting total daily carbohydrate need instead specifically timing its constituent doses (ie adding carbs to the pwo protein did not have an additional effect on muscle gain when normalised for caloric intake)

Anything else is fancy play syndrome. Compliance is king.

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Just used that calc. Good stuff. Its def key to be honest about your activity level. I used a calc long ago and figured since I was in the gym 4x/week I had a high activity level.

[​IMG]

I got fat as fuck that year, I was eating close to 1000 over for a whole summer :facepalm: My lifestyle, especially during the winter, hella sedentary

On this IF shit though I feel like I'm cutting. 1PM can't come fast enough

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

respectfully disagree on the bolded portion :lol:. but agreed on the compliance bit. i think calorie counting simply isnt sustainable for a lot of people and ultimately ineffective given the best diet is the one that is best adhered to.

my intake is essentially 4 x [2 scoops whey/6oz meat/2c cottage cheese] + veggies, on lifting days add 2 cups carbs. there is literally zero thought required.

cool. the more i read, the more i see "just eat the food."

5. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

QFT. I'd go so far as to recommend most people start at sedentary - you'll find out after a couple of weeks if its too low/too high based on the scale.

Do you caffeine? I found it virtually essential to get through the mornings on IF for a good while. Not sure how long you've been IF'ing, but that black coffee was awesome.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

i actually do, believe it or not.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

I helped a fat girl and another skinny asian brah in the gym today, i'm such a good person.

8. knucks

knucks Senior member

Yes, there is hardly any research into foam rolling et.al. but if it helps a person achieve proper range before training, it is a vital tool!

9. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

purchased the ironmaster 120lb quick lock dumbbells, am excite.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I won't pay or take the time to go to a gym so I'm just working out at home with minimal equipment (mat, 25lbs dumbells, chinup bar and those rotating hand held things for pushups).
    (so far I do various crunches, pushups, chinups, then bicep curls and tricep lifts behind the head, and then squats and calf raises on a stair)

I'm running out of ideas for exercises, you guys got any?

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

saw a she-bro do some "sumo deadlifts" today. pretty shitty form, but i was just glad to see someone doing some pulls. then she just fucking walked off and left the bar loaded, dafuq. i thought about asking her to unload the bar, i wonder how that would've gone. she was eyeing my front squats pretty hard and i could almost feel the judgement as i was doing my warmup sets in running shoes.

the collective gym-derp is starting to build up; 1/2 rom smith squats, 1/4 rom benching, and tank top emaciated dudes gettin they swole on with curl-swings. haven't been given any tips though which is nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Convict-Condi...59570667&sr=8-1&keywords=convict+conditioning

well worth the 30 bux. enough bodyweight exercises to last you forever, guaranteed nobody in this thread would be able to master this book right now.

12. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

spend some money on a rack etc or you wont get the results to make it worth the effort anyway

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

no

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Carbed up yesterday at lunch by eating 1/2 a pizza an then had the best workout I've had in months.

Friend wants to lose weight bc her work had a health asessment but she doesn't want to join a gym or count calories. She lives within walking distance of 5 gyms, including a planet shitness so cost is a bs excuse. Plus calorie counting apps are free. So much rage.

15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I came real close to fighting someone who was doing that working. I only know cause I was talking to his friends (I actually approached them to find out where this kid was because I was going to hunt him down) but ended up getting in a discussion with them. They were like I dunno man he's looking pretty big with his new convict without, then they rolled their eyes and told me to go easy on him.