Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

i don't get the point in a light day.

It makes sense if he's doing a dynamic effort day, speed and band lifts for example.

Fuck freezing rain keeping me from the gym! Took me long enough to get drive home from work, my truck's tire tread is horrible. I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now, just never got around to it. For all you IFer's, give me some tips and tricks. I've read a shit ton of work on it, but want to hear some the experiences of the guys here (apk, I know there are more). How do you structure it? Do you pay attention to macros, or just eat all you want at night? BCAA's or not, refeed meals a la WD?

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

i don't get the point in a light day.
    I could not do my DL routine twice a week at full intensity. but sometimes for DLs and squats (both of which I do once a week) it feels like there's too much of a break. I think "1.5" times a week could be a good compromise

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

DL 485 today for 2 reps. Only 15 pounds more to go before I reach my goal of 500.

good stuff man. how tall are you and what stance do you use? also, weight?

4. APK

APK Senior member

It makes sense if he's doing a dynamic effort day, speed and band lifts for example. Fuck freezing rain keeping me from the gym! Took me long enough to get drive home from work, my truck's tire tread is horrible. I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now, just never got around to it. For all you IFer's, give me some tips and tricks. I've read a shit ton of work on it, but want to hear some the experiences of the guys here (apk, I know there are more). How do you structure it? Do you pay attention to macros, or just eat all you want at night? BCAA's or not, refeed meals a la WD?
    I've gone through two phases in my IF experience so far. I started in August, using the 16/8 fast structure. First meal would be at noon and usually be something like roast beef slices, cheese and maybe some veggies. Then I'd lift around 4-5, come home and eat a PWO and then probably add in a shake. I was aiming for fat loss, but I was way, way under-eating. With my physical activity, I'd need about 2,700-2,800 to maintain. I was probably getting 1,000 less than that almost every day. I dropped an inch in the waist, but everything stalled out and I finally realized how horribly I was under-eating once I tallied an average day of eating. In the last 4-6 weeks, I've adapted more of a WD approach. I'll fast all morning, and then graze around noon with some berries, and more recently, some BCAA's. Pre-workout, I'd consume a small protein snack, though again, I've recently switched that to another dose of BCAA's. I'll lift, down my PWO shake, come home and feast. I'm much more fond of this approach, since I don't really need to think about food until after my workout. Now here's where I think it's really up to the individual to try it and see what works for them. If you do some reading, you see a lot of people on the WD saying they can now eat a lot more junk food and "get away with it." I think your mileage may vary, though. I've dicked around with my diet for so many years that I'm to a point where I no longer want to justify routinely lousy eating habits. So while I think I could probably get away with some non-clean food tacked on to my feast (especially after a heavy lifting day), I don't make it a point to do so. I've brought my calories back up to still be below maintenance, but it's a much more reasonable deficit and I'm already seeing and FEELING the differences. So long answer short, yes, I'm mindful of macros and overall calories since my goal is still to lose some fat. I've finally settled on doing a recomp in the coming months using the WD with a timed-carb diet structure. Here's an average lifting day: - Morning: 10g BCAA - Noon: 6 oz. berries (maybe another 10g BCAA) - Pre-workout: 10g BCAA - During workout: 30g BCAA - PWO: Shake with 2:1 carb to protein ratio & 5g creatine - Feast: generally a pound of some meat (if it's a pack of lean ground turkey, it'll be 20 ounces, since I always forget those packs add an extra 4 ounces), bunch of vegetables with EVOO, maybe something made with almond floor to boost calories and fat (been big on almond flour pancakes recently) I'll also drink a lot of water and dose fish oil throughout the day On non-lifting days, I'm having to drop the carbs to just green veggies and some trace carbs. It sucks if there's something social going on, but I like the idea of doing this to get the most bank for your buck with the recomp approach. I still have one day a week where I'll gorge on some junk food, but I'm considering knocking that back to one cheat meal and then getting my carbs from less terrible sources. BCAA's taste awful if you don't mix them with something, but they'll be a staple for me, since consuming 225+ grams of protein on the WD just isn't happening for me unless I throw in a lot of protein powders. Shit, that's a long response.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

yeah, i am probably at 2000 kcal/day for the last 3 weeks, and about 500 of them are shit. swore i'd never let work interefere with diet and training but it is effecting the former and thankfully not the latter but they are obviously part and parcel to one another

If it's any consolation, I find it difficult to hit even a couple-hundred-calorie deficit most days because I only have BCAA's and maybe some berries prior to the PWO window. Been having to do shots of olive oil some nights.

6. APK

APK Senior member

Sucks, but I take some solace in knowing that I'm finally to a mental place where I'll look to something like some olive oil to up calories instead of fast food.

As I've noted, I still have a day each week with a lot of junk, but I'm usually able to get things back to normal right after. Used to be that I'd eat clean for two days and then be fiending for some shit like Taco Bell by Wednesday night (and often oblige). Finally to a point where it's not even a matter of having to avoid the fast food. I just don't crave it most of the time.

7. APK

APK Senior member

Rikkar, in my manifesto, I failed to note any tips/tricks. Here's the one that I found just works: stay busy during your fasting hours. We've had it ingrained in our heads that if we didn't eat ever three hours, we'd shrivel up. I've been IF since August and don't feel I've lost any muscle.

Once you get past the idea that you're going to lose all this muscle by fasting, it's just a matter of keeping busy, drinking a good amount of water and allowing time to adjust to this new lifestyle (because it definitely is a new lifestyle, even for the people who ate clean before, albeit, in the 6-meals-a-day approach).

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

For my WD, its less of a fast/gorge and more of an underfeed/overfeed.

Meal 1 - 250g cottage cheese or ~30g casein, 1cup berries, 4g fish oil
    Meal 2 - 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup berries, 4g fish oil
    Meal 3 - 3 hardboiled eggs, 1cup berries, 4g fish oil

I don't have the money for BCAA's, and I hate replacing meals with powders. Eating eggs, berries, and cottage cheese keeps me sane, full, and energized during the underfeed portion. Each meal comes in a little under 300 cals, and digests very easily. I drink copious amounts of black coffee to keep me going if I get hungry.

My overfeed usually consists of 12oz of lean meat, 2cups brown rice with some butter, and a monster spinach salad with some evoo dressing - sometimes a small bite of dessert. Before bed I'll take in a couple scoops of whey/casein. Daily totals come in at ~2300 cals, 38%protein/36%fat/28%carbs. I tried doing one small meal and then a giant one, but I feel like I've hit a sweet spot with the 3 small meals. No, its not as good as a true fast, but it a)keeps me sane and b)makes it easier to hit my macros and c)means I don't have to stuff myself to the point of feeling sick at night. I would still pay attention to macros - the way I understand it is that macros are still macros, and calories are still calories, its just that the way IF/WD affects your body makes it more apt to burning fat during the underfeed and more receptive to nutrients during the overfeed.

I would say the best thing about the WD is how simple and convenient it is. I don't have to prepare and pack up 6 meals a day and find time to eat them, I don't have to stay away from carbs, or any of the downfalls of conventional dieting. The gf had a Wendy's craving last night, so you better believe I slammed a double bacon mushroom melt, no problem - ate my regular overfeed meal afterwards and cut out the nightly cottage cheese, and counted that one as more of a recomp day - no grief.

Honestly, the fact that the WD helps you lean out is simply a bonus at this point - the fact that I can continue to get bigger and stronger in such a convenient and effective manner is the best. The fact that I can choose to recomp/lose fat/lean mass by simply tweaking the macros of my 4 hour overfeeding period is fucking magic. I don't see any reason to switch from a WD style of eating ever in my life.

Broken record, yes, but there's a good thread on IA about the warrior diet, and there has also been an e-book released detailing the science and know-how behind all things warrior diet. It costs money, but its definitely worth it.

edit: durr just saw you were talking about IF exclusively. nevermind lol

9. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I saw this article about how much worse movie theater popcorn is than air-popped popcorn. The calories and fat in a huge tub aren't that surprising. What is surprising is how many of the readers through their comments at the end are perfectly fine because they consider it an every once in awhile indulgence. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/popcorn/ The problem is, I'm pretty sure most of these people would consider that 48oz Coke with an extra value meal an indulgence...and getting that cheesecake for desert...you get the idea. These same people would likely consider not working out a once in awhile indulgence as well. It makes me sick to see this 'we have a right to let ourselves go movement', the proponents of which will by and large use more and more public (in part, my) and private resources to live out their healthcare woes. What the hell is wrong with these people? If you think one fucking snack that has 3/4th of your daily fat and calorie needs is within the bounds of reason, how can I expect you to exhibit judgement anywhere else in your life?

10. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

Wow guys, thanks. I'll comment a bit more later, don't have the time right now but I'll get back to ya.

jarude, I'm actually thinking of mixing the two diets a little bit. I've actually read that entire thread on IA lol.

11. APK

APK Senior member

It feels shallow at times, but I've grown much more disgusted by very overweight people. It's not so much the visually off-putting aspect; it's what it says about the person's character. They may be swell people, but obese people are generally lazy people who will find any excuse to tack on to their weight problem that doesn't involve assuming blame or changing god-awful dietary habits.

The indulgence thing is funny, since I've noticed a lot of the people who use that line circumvent the "once in a while" part by only applying it to a specific food. As though it's OK to eat half a birthday cake one day because it's only "once in a while." But then it's still OK to go eat a pound of chocolate the next day because "it's only once in a while." Shit food is shit food.

12. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

It feels shallow at times, but I've grown much more disgusted by very overweight people. It's not so much the visually off-putting aspect; it's what it says about the person's character. They may be swell people, but obese people are generally lazy people who will find any excuse to tack on to their weight problem that doesn't involve assuming blame or changing god-awful dietary habits. The indulgence thing is funny, since I've noticed a lot of the people who use that line circumvent the "once in a while" part by only applying it to a specific food. As though it's OK to eat half a birthday cake one day because it's only "once in a while." But then it's still OK to go eat a pound of chocolate the next day because "it's only once in a while." Shit food is shit food.
    I want to be friends with this guy (a commenter on the NYT article):
    Also a related rant: People need to stop comparing our diets with that of many European and Asian countries without accounting for portion sizes and lifestyles. Is French cuisine rich? Sure, but breakfast there might be a lightly buttered croissant, a coffee, and an orange juice...not an Egg McMuffin with cheese, fried hashbrowns, and a coffee. Is oil used a lot in Indian cuisine? Sure, but someone there might actually try walking from point A to point B...something other than talking an elevator from the first to the second floor of a building.

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Shit food is shit food.

you don't approve of me eating a box of 10,000 calories worth of mickey d's, tim tams, ice cream, and pop tarts in one day? [​IMG] hahaha

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

I think mrchariybrown is the only one who can legitimately use the "once in awhile excuse" [​IMG]

15. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Just started using fitday... After a week I will report back w/ results.
    After one day, I kinda know I need a multiV. Edit: I can find one lol.

FWIW my macros are at 50f-30p-20c at ~4700 kcal/day.