Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Six weeks into recovery from hip arthroscopy and starting to get back into lifting. Havent lost a ton of aesthetics but strength is totally shot. Was doing paused triples at 225lbs pre-surgery, now struggling at 155 (either that or the bar at my new gym is heavier). Did bicep curls on Thursday evening and still sore today. Is this life?

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Any bruhs know chinos that have like a 12.75"-13" thigh and a 8.5" leg opening? Shit thats 8" use to work on me, but not any longer just looks like a carrot now.

3. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

J crew has like 5 different chino cuts, one will probably work.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Sorta want made in USA ; ; J crew will probably work, thinking any botique brands has a leg opening thats 8" or slimmer.

5. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Howard Yount and Epaulet don't fit me well, rise is too low, hurts teh junk.

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea, just checked epaulets measurments.. too short in the rise and small in the leg opening.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea, just checked epaulets measurments.. too short in the rise and small in the leg opening.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

shit, you should feel lucky you even have that strength left.

9. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

When I broke my arm 3 inches or so below the shoulder and after wearing a sling for 4 weeks, I couldn't raise it more than 30 degrees upwards. Couldn't hold a fork and eat properly. Took a couple of months of strength training to look equal again, left to right side of upper body. 1.5 years of physiotherapy and shoulder mobility never got better than up to 80-85% overhead range of motion.

I don't think you're too bad off.

10. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Is dropping dumbbells seen as normal gym behavior?

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Depends. Skinny person throwing dumbbells = call them out, huge guy just look down and avoid eye contact

12. suited

suited Senior member

Pretty much, and one of the many reasons I never train at large/chain gyms. Avoiding some of the nauseating people that frequent gyms is a huge bonus of lifting at home. I'd like to think that strength is proportionate to the weight you're lifting, so even if you're dumbbell pressing 130lb dumbbells, there shouldn't be a need to throw them around. I guess it also depends on what you consider a drop to be. It's pretty clear when a person is doing it for attention, or when they had no other choice.

Speaking of dumbbells, I bought a pair of powerblock adjustable dumbbells from eBay. They are nice, and take up very little space.

13. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

lol but shouldn't the big guys be able to control the weight to their resting postion?

I can understand having to drop weights on occasion but a lot of these guys are doing it at the end of every set.

I paid two years in advance at the gym down the street from me, I'm stuck.

Plus I don't have the space to accomodate equipment.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

My friend threw a 80lb dumbell at the mirror in Ymca and we got asked to leave

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

yeah this is dicktree behaviour, university gym had to close the weight area since excessive dropping/throwing caused the flooring to buckle and overlap. bad manners and it does little else than make you look like a fuck.

on a positive note, first trial session at the big bad evil corporate chain gym went pretty well. tons of space and equipment and i actually saw a dude atg squatting plates for reps followed up by paused benching plates for reps, so maybe the derp isnt too strong there. maybe 10 people there at 7:30am. forgot about the cardio bunny benefit too, a good feel.

now, how do i justify paying bi-weekly membership dues when i have a full setup at home?