Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Binker

Binker Senior member

decided to work in low rep range on bench last night for the first time since dropping from 195 to 175. got 295 for one clean rep, used to be able to get it for 3 or 4 but given the weight loss I'm quite satisfied with where I'm at

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

I think I'm gonna start MMA classes this week, my gym offers them for free so I might as well. I got in a fight yesterday and whilst I did get the guy to the floor in 2 hits I think I could have done a better job, wish I hurt him more.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

yeah, but it sucks that even without changing anything else from diet and exercise, i still gained a few lbs of fat. i do feel better as far as i can now smell everything and taste things i couldn't before, i needed to quit after 17 years, i finally did just before i turn 30...

I just dropped coffee about a week ago too. even worse than quitting smoking in terms of weight. no more diuretic effect.

4. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I just dropped coffee about a week ago too. even worse than quitting smoking in terms of weight. no more diuretic effect.

Why did you drop coffee?

5. APK

APK Senior member

Hm. Well then I need a better nutritional information site.
    Edit - 8 oz of flank steak is like 63 grams. so 100 overall. Probably just biffed the math. And that's eating light - that doesn't include bacon, and no milk. And only 2 eggs. Easy enough to get to 200g/day which for most people is over 1g/lb. Point being that a reasonable amount of protein isn't hard to get via diet for a non-lifter or a lifter who doesn't obsess over protein numbers and isn't cutting.

My real numbers:
    4 eggs plus 5 bacon: 25+ 14 = 39
    Tunafish = 42
    400g of steak = 100g
    2L of milk = 64 g

Edit 2:
    Squats make skiing way easier. I'm way faster despite not being any technically better.

Milk is a shitty source of protein. You're consuming an assload of sugar and carbs in exchange for a little bit of protein.

6. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Yeah but for me I feel its fine since I'm not gaining weight very quickly, (and its muscle not fat).

And I don't eat a ton of carbs otherwise, maybe a couple slices of bread, (I know, if you're trying to gain weight eat pasta/carbs, but I've been lazy in the kitchen lately) but I've never noticed problems with carbs for me. I usually float around 10-12% BF, but its never been a concern for me, since I do hover pretty low.

7. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Man, you omnivores have it made - I don't want to hear any bitching about protein. [​IMG] Try being vegetarian.. I get half my daily protein from shakes - gets old real fast.

8. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

went running (12F outside what the hell) to gym and it ruined my squat rep speed so i thought i could at least make up by running back but now my stride was noodle-legged after much squatting. conclusion: run while doing squats [​IMG]

9. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Man, you omnivores have it made - I don't want to hear any bitching about protein. [​IMG] Try being vegetarian.. I get half my daily protein from shakes - gets old real fast.
    Choices choices Man I am loving carb cycling. Lean mass goes up, body fat stays the same

10. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Why did you drop coffee?

bothered my stomach way too much. even on one cup.

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i drink way too much coffee and don't eat nearly enough to ever reach the size levels I formerly acheived. somewhat conforting, somewhat depressing

12. APK

APK Senior member

Finally got 225 x 5 x 3 on deadlifts tonight and felt like I could have added more weight. I'm going to attribute it to properly warming up for the working set instead of just doing two or three warm up sets of varying weight.

13. APK

APK Senior member

i drink way too much coffee and don't eat nearly enough to ever reach the size levels I formerly acheived. somewhat conforting, somewhat depressing

If it's any consolation, I find it difficult to hit even a couple-hundred-calorie deficit most days because I only have BCAA's and maybe some berries prior to the PWO window. Been having to do shots of olive oil some nights.

14. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Finally got 225 x 5 x 3 on deadlifts tonight and felt like I could have added more weight. I'm going to attribute it to properly warming up for the working set instead of just doing two or three warm up sets of varying weight.
    How are you warming up beyond the warm up sets? Or just more warm up sets like Iron addicts suggests?

15. APK

APK Senior member

More warm up sets. DL, squats and bench are always the first lifts I do on their prescribed days, so properly warming up becomes even more important than usual. That still hasn't prevented me from kind of going through the motions with warm-ups many days and having my lifts suffer.