Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Have you liked working out in your garage otherwise? There must be some way to ventilate/clean it that isn't too expensive.

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Jarude what's the selection of cardio bunnies at the gym like? That's the real determining factor.

3. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

thanks for the advice guys. I'm using more of a low-bar position (guess it's hard to see b/c of the angle), so I can't really force my neck against the bar. I'll try pushing it back though + force my chest out more next time.

I'm really enjoying the SPBR, but some of that might have to do with it being my first true lifting program. I was originally thinking of doing SS or SL, but I think this program has a better mix of compound lifts + other exercises for someone just starting out.

4. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Why don't you try that fake chalk stuff that rock climbers use? They're called Eco-Balls. They're designed for environmental rock climbing so they don't leave any sort of chalk residue on the face you're climbing, so they're 100% geared towards no-chalk gyms.

Back when I was deadlifting my gym was no-chalk and I used them without problem (though I'd hide them in my bag and stick my hands in to chalk up).

5. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

@TW:
    Pretty good form for a beginner. I see some slight butt-wink at the bottom. I've had this for a long time, and for me it is mainly caused by losing tension by not staying upright, having tight hamstrings and not being able to shove out the knees. Your depth looks very good, but I think going that low contributues to losing tension. Just hit parallel and see if it feels / looks better.

Do you do any mobility work? This will help your form and posture, which iirc you've commented on in the past.
    My pre-squat routine includes mobility work and stretches for hamstrings, ankle flex, it-bands, loosing up the glutes and getting the legs in external roation. There's loads of good ones on MobilityWod.

Btw, SPBR was also my first real lifting routine. Still going 9 months later. Easy to progress with and allows for some nice variety.

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Thats a big if, esp in the context of noobs

I'm not saying people shouldn't do them at all, just that people understate the risk + overstate the benefits in the context of bodybuilding

7. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

I haven't been doing any mobility work yet, just some general warm up stretches + a warm up set @ low weight. I looked briefly at the MobilityWod site, but kind of NOPE'd right out of it when I saw there were 400+ videos. I think now that I've got a little bit of direction on what needs to be fixed I'll give it another shot.

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

i think i am legit most anxious about people bugging me when i work out. i have zero patience for tips; when i fill out some more i will buy a dyel shirt and practice my stare.

i love it. super convenient, no waiting for anything. i dont find myself missing any machines as creative use of bands has allowed me to do any movement i want. when i was doing straight lifting with no regard to conditioning it was perfect, but now that i am working in speed rope + supersetting antagonistic movements, space and equipment has become more of an issue. its certainly not preventing me from getting good work in though. trying to ventilate it any further would be a futile effort.

as it is right now, my rack is directly in front of a window which i keep open with a fan blowing in fresh air. even so, there's just too much crap and dust - its an old shop, and no matter how much i sweep/scrub/clean/ventilate there is always a layer of crap on everything. any time i do a movement on the ground or start breathing heavily, there is a 100% chance that i will be spitting up grey/black stuff afterwards. no bueno.

out of 30 or so, maybe 3 were attractive to me. probs 10 were conventionally attractive but they had a mean case of pointy bitch-face goin on or were sloots trolling for brocawk. a few potential milf cases but overall disappointing.

nothing will ever top my university gym, ever. praise be to jesus for lululemon and fit 19-22 year old womens. i wonder if they understand the distraction and frustration they can cause simply by wearing them :(

for real, you will probably be able to progress for a hell of a long time on it. you can get a lot of variety by swapping out the movements when things get stale or drop down to 2x5 when you stall on a main movement.

meh, im not overly concerned about the chalk thing. my bar at home has shitty knurling so i'd just chalk for most things for the hell of it. straps are the superior option for me right now anyway, fallacious appeals to omnipotent wendler authority aside.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

9. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I think the solution to this situation (which I'm just passing through as well) is to either lose 5 lbs of fat or gain 5 lbs of muscle.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Why you so picky about gym sloots? When i'm lifting I find fucking whales attractive. It's like that elevated test from gains lowers my standards a massive amount. Saw some girl with with like short ginger hair, loads of piercings and a sleeve and I wanted to bang at the time I was lifting.

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

im pretty picky about womens, pointy-face gym sloots don't deserve the honour of my gaze. dont want them to mistakenly think im checking them out, it wouldnt be honest.

you know how female opinion on the attractiveness of any given dude varies a ridiculous amount? im like that, lots of girls that most dudes would line up to smash don't do anything for me. esp. haughty bishes, bad attitude invalidates all aesthetics. hence the pickiness, most gym sloots need to get over themselves. dont blame them though, if i had a room full of slackjawed bros staring at my bon bons when i was doing work i'd be pretty uppity too.

irony lol

12. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

What is your argument exactly?

First it was, "oh, squats and deadlifts are dangerous."

Now is it, "oh, squats and deadlifts are risky if done incorrectly"?

Because if it's the latter, I don't think anyone is going to argue with you. DERP.

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

I have an aryan friend who says he would only fuck other aryan girls (keep the master race alive). You're aryan too, is that why?

edit: just heard a guy try to get a girl to go on a date with him because he has Chrons disease, is this real life?

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

my girlfriend is blonde i will leave it at that

dark skinned brunettes though, hnng. also, persian womens. would be sad at black-haired children though.

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

The answer to my flat muscles and soft nipples I think lies in a refeed today. Tomorrow may be a good day to do it;

It's basically upping carbs to 3-400g, dropping p to 1g/lb lbm, and keeping fat low to keep your overall calories at/below maintenance right?