Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

How long until these "new years resolution" gym goers stop coming?

Shit is annoying and my gym is packed now.

2. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

Since we're on the topic of beginners doing squats, would you guys mind giving me some advice on form?
    >

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Been doing IAPBR for about a month and a half now, and I'm really enjoying all of the big compound lifts.

I'm in kind of a weird situation though, because my two gym buddies are relatively clueless and are not interested in doing independent reading/research on proper form. As a result, they often ask/look to me for advice and I want to make sure I'm not setting a terrible example

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

I couldn't do T bar rows today because a resolutioner was using one of the 2 oly bars to "squat", hopefully soon, they've been at it for 3 weeks, by 4 they should have dropped a lot.

TW, your squat form actually looks really good. I would try pushing your neck more into the bar, this might stop some of the forward leaning in the last reps. Then again I don't squat the same style as you so I can't really critique too well.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

4. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Looks pretty good from this angle. As a newbie, I recommend trying to control your descent a bit more. A common problem for new squatters is losing core tension at the bottom of the squat. At low weights, this isn't the end of the world, but it'll get you as you start increasing the weight. There's nothing wrong with a fast descent, but you have to learn to do it with control so that you don't lose tension. For now that means probably slowing it down just a bit.

5. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

you are right in that they aren't "necessary" (what is? everything could have an alternative) but even if you aren't a powerlifter they have many benefits. There have been a few pro bbers who either didn't squat or deadlift (mostly deadlift though).

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

Which model are these?

7. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

8. Flame

Flame Senior member

TW, maybe a mental cue would be to "show your boobs" to stay more upright and prevent that forward lean.

C&J-ed 80kg PR on wed. feelsawesome, whole uni gym just stopped to watched. Got people hi-fiving me later lol.

9. Flame

Flame Senior member

tbh, is powder really neccessary? I never took powder bf, just ate lots of beef, chicken breast, salmon, cottage cheese and milk. I'm looking to accelerate my recovery though (is that a myth?)

10. SmellyFeet

SmellyFeet Well-Known Member

notheriffsrs brah.....no offense but this is probably the most ignorant thing I have ever read.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

cool

LOL

12. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

92.5kg strict press. Not quite a PR, but as much as I've put up in quite a while. Trying to get it up to 100kg in the next couple months.

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

BOOYAH, front squatted a 5x5 pr of

1 plate

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

still, better than no squats at all

14. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Ten pounds down so far. At that awkward point where I have abs first thing in the morning and look fat and flabby at 8pm. But, it feels good to be making progress!

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

visited the local corporate chain gym and i about wanted to throw up. it was the busiest fucking thing i have ever seen and full of bros and ugly middle-age cardio bunnies, sad. 1 cage, 1 squat rack. no chalk but deadlifts are a go, so i can use ***straps***. location is fucking prime though and the biweekly rate isnt terrible (for canada). dunno what to do bros, dont want to keep sucking in poison air in my garage. pluses are tons of hammer strength shit and a sauna.

also, anyone have any use for 2x #5 bands? ridiculous overkill for my needs.

thanks for the rec. they look cool although kinda fug and i would have to adjust to squatting in a flatter shoe which isnt a bad thing. will try these on in person and see what i think

looks good man, you look like you're craning your neck a little far forward but nicely done. how are you liking the spbr?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013