1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

That's why USA has a pretty decent pool of woman olympic lifters. More so than men. Most of them come from a gymnastic background which gives them awesome mobility, strength, and spacial awareness.

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I trained this gymnast chick i was banging for a while. She picked shit up so fast it was great.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

30+ BMI member, reporting.

4. Eason

Eason Senior member

LOL

my friend and I joke that Hong Kong's national lifts arethe behind-the-neck smith press or the one-leg-on-bench-one-leg-hanging-in-the-air-half-ROM-bench

The only thing different about my gym than gyms in the USA is that the trainers are slightly stupider/pervy and that absolutely nobody, NOBODY racks their weights. I go to probably the most ghetto gym Physical still runs (it's moving in about 10 days to a new location) and nobody works out there but Pakistanis and Jamaicans. It has its charm, somehow.

edit: I do have some stories from China, though. I posted them before but once a guy took weights off the bench while the bar was in my hands; I asked him what the hell he was doing and he apologized and put them back. There were also these two middle-aged gay guys who would squat/spot together, I don't think they spoke English but they'd do squats/thrusts in the rack while yelling and every so often one would ask HOW DO YOU FEER? and the other would yell I FEER SO GOOOOOOOD :slayer:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    4 people like this.
  5. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

How dare you.

1 person likes this.
  6. Eason

Eason Senior member

no but seriously they are

7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think Vashon's "like" just added 50# to my deadlift lol..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. virus646

virus646 Senior member

I've been 30+ BMI for a while now. Can I join?

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yup, everyone's welcomed. Even fatties like myself.

10. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Had to bail on 175lb squat today, wtfffff, to add to that that pinched piriformis of mine is really acting up. If it were not for that I'd be squatting at least 250 by now, really frustrating.

I went to a chiro, nothing, went to my doctor nothing. All they tell me is to stretch and to take aleve. I've been stretching and foam rolling right at the point where it hurts the most, and it hurts even more when I try to target it directly, nothing.

A lot of the times I wake up and that part of my leg/glute is really numb.

Kind of at my wits end with this, can anyone offer some advice?

11. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Add to that I'm walking around with a limp that makes it look like I've got a stick up my ass

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

You teach me how to bench and I'll teach you how to squat :p

It sounds to me like you have some nerve entrapment going on in your sciatic nerve. I'd completely drop the stretching, you can't stretch a muscle if the nerve is entrapped because that limits your ROM. How often are you foam rolling? Attacking the local place of pain is effective but you also have to look upstream and downstream of the problems, so like lower back hamstrings etc; try to workout any knots in that area. The biggest thing you should be doing is sets of nerve flossing 2x a day once in the morning doing something like 2 x 8 and once before lifting. You need to get that nerve gliding through muscle tissue properly, so you do this by breaking up trigger points then gliding it through full ROM.

Googling sciatic nerve flossing with get you a bunch of stuff. Find something thats easy enough and feels effective. Don't go crazy with it because you can enflame it pretty bad by hitting it too much.

Also numbness = entrapped nerve

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Here's a bit from this book by Eric Cressey and Mike robertson that I have -

"Excessive tension on the piriformis can irritate the sciatic nerve. This may lead to pain or nerve irritation in the buttocks, hamstrings, lower leg, or foot.
    Excessive tension in the piriformis can externally rotate the hip, leading to poor movement in the frontal and or transverse planes."

So I guess also roll the shit out of your TFL, vastus medialis, IT band. My piriformis gets pretty damn tight sometimes and if I let it go my TFL will get tight as a result, so tight that when I roll it out I am nearly crying and have to yell when I do it.

14. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Thank you so much CS, I'd write out a longer response but I'm sitting in class right now.

It's almost ridiculous how much more helpful a brah can be than an actual doctor, maybe I need to see a better doc...

Also more than willing for a squat coach haha.

At the very least is this thing curable? Seems like there's a lot of stuff floating around that sciatic/nerve pain is for life.

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

regular reminder that anyone experiencing any kind of pain or discomfort even tangentially related to lifting should buy the trigger point therapy workbook and a knobbler/theracane

1 person likes this.
  16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

+1 on that book and theracane

No problem. Yea for sure it's curable. Just needs a regimented attack plan and it will go away. I disregard what doctors say and only used them for MRI and X Ray which I then passed off to this sports chiropractor. Doctors are good for the general public that are too lazy to make actual changes in their lifestyle so they give things that mask the pain or problem. Like my friend once told me: A doctor is good if you want to be able to walk outside and check your mail without pain, but if you're going to lift some serious weight you need to see a sports chiro.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  17. w0lf

w0lf Well-Known Member

i weight 63 kilos x 178cm in height, and id like to get some more definition on my whole torso and arms, anyone here can suggest any exercise i could do at home?
    i've been doing 30 to 50 pushups 4 alternate days a week for a about three months now , what else could i add to my bedroom exercise?

18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Kopped some new running shoes--a pair of altra's. Zero drop, but still padded. Gonna hit the treadmill for a bit today and report back.

19. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm interested in your report. I need a replacement for my NB Minimus Zero.