Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I'm telling ya - once I got my core strong, most niggling injuries are a thing of the past. Very important IMO.

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

damn mrchariy, your cheat day puts mine to shame. are you on a keto diet?? from my brief readover of IA's warrior diet stuff, i heard he advocated some restraint on cheat days for WD folks.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

damn mrchariy, your cheat day puts mine to shame. are you on a keto diet?? from my brief readover of IA's warrior diet stuff, i heard he advocated some restraint on cheat days for WD folks.

nope, not a keto diet. a simple 40/25/35 macro breakdown.

cheat days get me lean [​IMG]

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

that's p/c/f? hmm, might have to go fatty-style every sunday... i'm leaning out as well, I've lost about 8lbs on the WD thus far. your mcd's creation in your log inspired me [​IMG]

5. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

nope, not a keto diet. a simple 40/25/35 macro breakdown.

cheat days get me lean [​IMG]

Do you run under maintenance cals on regular days?

6. APK

APK Senior member

I enjoy the stuff I make enough where I don't feel like I'm depriving myself throughout the week. But I still love the cheat day. I'm just glad I've gotten to a point where I can have that one all-out few hours each week and then keep my daily diet respectable for posting on something like FitDay the rest of the time.

I need to finally get my training thread up over at IA this weekend. Been keeping a training log consistently since August, but it'd be nice to have somewhere digital to track that stuff.

7. APK

APK Senior member

If his IA log is still accurate, he's probably running slightly below maintenance on training days and a bit more below maintenance on non-training days. I've been doing something similar after stalling out on fat loss from dropping too far below maintenance for too long. Feeling good and having quality workouts again.

8. mrchariybrown

If his IA log is still accurate, he's probably running slightly below maintenance on training days and a bit more below maintenance on non-training days. I've been doing something similar after stalling out on fat loss from dropping too far below maintenance for too long. Feeling good and having quality workouts again.

nope, I run pretty much at maintenance throughout the week lol [​IMG]

fast the day after the 24 hour cheat day. the 7-day average is above maintenance.

9. APK

APK Senior member

How key do you think the fast day after the cheat day is? I've used it several times just because after my binge, I don't have much of an appetite. Do you pulse with BCAA's on fast days?

10. mrchariybrown

How key do you think the fast day after the cheat day is? I've used it several times just because after my binge, I don't have much of an appetite. Do you pulse with BCAA's on fast days?

it really depends how I feel. sometimes I do a low cal day afterwards. sometimes a fast.

and when I fast.. it's a fast lol no bcaa's or anything like that.

11. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Can you guys critique my form? I think I'm going low enough, but might be leaning too far with my knees. I haven't been doing squats that long, only five or ten pounds over bodyweight right now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

God those look so much better than mine. I think it has to do with your flexibility, in addition to technique.

12. CunningSmeagol

God those look so much better than mine. I think it has to do with your flexibility, in addition to technique.

Let me expand on what I mean by flexibility:

I'm speaking specifically of the angle between that rigid back and the thigh. My problem is that I can't get that angle tight enough, so to get below parallel, my knees have to shoot forward to allow for a more obtuse angle here. With knees back, it's really a struggle to get low enough without rounding my lower back.

I've been working on hamstring and glute flexiblity, along with hip rotators b/c it feels good. Also, I've been trying to find a stance that allows a deeper squat.

I really hate it when this thread turns to dieting. I know, it's part of health, but I've never been concerned enough with it to talk about it.

13. CunningSmeagol

Andre, speaking of hip-drive. I've been watching some Rip vids:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

It's a pretty touchy subject on the exercise forii. The objection a lot of people have is that this "drive your ass up" encourages a squat that looks like a leg extension followed by a good-morning. Still, I think if you keep that back/floor angle steady, it's a good cue. I still have to experiment more.

14. Nil

Nil Senior member

I broke and rebroke my back (pars fracture) 3 times during high school, and have to work around it constantly. You. Must. Work. Core. And also work on your hamstring/IT flexibility. You can PM for details if you want, it's usually stabilizer bits that need work.

Damn, that sucks about your back. Core weakness explains this latest flair up. I haven't done much in the last month due to the prior back injury so it atrophied a bit and bam, fucked it up.

The first injury was poor form and being tired. I had a bad bone bruise on my left shin from kicking something I shouldn't have so when I set up for cleans, I moved the bar a little further away than usual since touching that bruise with anything sent searing pains shooting through me. That little bit threw off my form and combined with kind of half assing it, killed me.

I've been meaning to work on my hamstring flexibility for awhile, this will just give me more incentive. It's oddly enough the only part of my body that isn't incredibly flexible. I can put my foot above my head, grasp my forearms when putting my hands behind my back (one above, one below), almost do the splits, etc. I've just never been able to loosen up my hammies.

The stiffness is interfering with any sort of crunching type of maneuver, but I can still manage planks. No more excuses on this front. I'm planking until I cannot anymore.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Felt good pulling 300 for a triple today. Deadlifts are awesome - the only qualm I have atm is that my hands are torn up from chalk and the dry winter air.