Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

No way around it really.

Want to know a secret? Every time I get stronger and bigger, my training sessions grew longer due to more movements, sets, reps, and rest periods. Now I'm not saying this is linear but I used to have sessions that lasted 45 minutes to an hour. Now, it's about 1.5-2 hours each.

2. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior member

Hyper-extension of the lumbar during squats can be caused by any number of things. Try some air squats. If it happens with even unweighted, then it's probably compensation for a mobility problem somewhere else - either in the hips or in the thoracic. If the hyperextension only happens at higher weights, then it's more likely a strength issue caused by a week core. The front of your core (abs) are your anti-extension muscles, so adding in anti-extension exercises should help - plank holds, hollow holds, hollow rocks, GHD sit-ups.

3. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I was bench pressing yesterday and I accidentally rotated my shoulder causing a weird motion, now it hurts a little.

It feels like I slept on it, would it be a bad idea to work out today? I will be doing pushing exercises.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I find working out with music distracting, am I alone?

4. joshuadowen

Hard to say exactly what has happened to your shoulder, but it would be silly to do more pressing exercises today if it's still bothering you. I'd do some shoulder mobility/warm-up type work, and then leave it alone and do something else.

5. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Yeah I know, just thought maybe someone would convince me it was okay to work out. Lol

I'm not even sure how to describe what happened, but it was weird. I has a tingling pain.

6. joshuadowen

It sounds like one of the tendons or ligaments in your shoulder rolled over the nerve. Does the tingling extend to your hand? This is the sort of thing that usually sorts itself out. I'd roll through that arm and shoulder and do some mobility work.

7. noirwest

noirwest Senior member

I've done that that before, although I felt more pain when it happened. I'm not entirely sure what I did to it (i suspect a little tear in the rotator cuff) but I wasn't able to do bench or any other chest exercises for about 3 months. I'd recommend laying off chest work for a few weeks and do the exercises mentioned here to get your shoulder back to normal: http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-blowout.htm

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

It doesn't extend to my hand, only in the shoulder.

9. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Thanks man! I hope I don't have to sit out for three months though. :( I've lost enough mass already.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

where to buy fractional plates?

11. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

You posted something about buying jean sweat pants right?

I'd stay away, they look ugly. Not that you were asking for my opinion but I think you can find something more stylish.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea, haha it was more of a joke. Seriously tho one day if we all keep gaining we will be wearing sweatpants. One of the dudes I train with is 5'7 300lbs and exclusively wears sweatpants. I'm looking at some 1937 Levi Repros.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Had my first squat workout in the Reebok Crossfit Olys yesterday. I felt they made a big difference in stability coming out of the hole on my worksets.
    I also felt the added stability during (overhead) presses, but not enough to make or break a rep.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

14. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Just to clarify, when everyone talks about shoulders rotating they're joking, right?

Typed from internally rotated shoulders.