1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Not done with Stronglifts or are you takling after?

After I got off SL I did Legs/Shoulders, Back/Biceps, Chest Shoulders. Yoga/ab work/running in between

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I am on a pretty simple split. I do upper body 2x and lower body 2x. First week I do all compounds, second week I do 1 compound day of each and then 1 accessory day of each (like a deload).

The way I see it, if you're healthy, it shouldn't take you a week for your body parts to recover. So you might as well hit everything more than 1 time a week. Dedicating one day to each body part seems silly and is pretty much impossible anyway (I tried). 2 body parts a day is doable but 3 (i.e. push/pull/shoulders) means less trips to the gym each week. So that's what I went with.

I was hitting upper body 3x a week before but that made my elbow tendinitis flare up. So I fell back to 2x a week and found a good balance.

I would do something like

Push/pull/shoulders
    Legs/abs
    Rest
    Push/pull/shoulders
    Legs/abs
    Drink
    Nurse hangover
    Repeat

Been working great for me

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  3. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I've been on SL since March, pretty happy with how strong i've gotten. Gonna finish out this month and move into a more BB/aesthetic routine.

4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Yeah man out in Tacoma, WA right now

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

at say regional level the sport is so marginal up here if you turn up and total you'd probably medal. at least for the women

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

mmm love watching these thicker woman lifters :nodding:

7. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Damn, you picked the best part of the year to make it out here! Do you get to spend any time off-base?

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

hobo den 2.0 is now operational

check it:

2 layers of 3/4" plywood making an 8x6 surface, screwed and glued
    [​IMG]

:fu:
    [​IMG]

turns out platforms are really fucking heavy
    [​IMG]

almost...
    [​IMG]

:slayer:
    [​IMG]

its pretty solid and i have the rack anchored to the platform with carriage bolts through the bottom. there's about 100 screws and two tubes of construction adhesive holding the ply together, and the mats are held in place with the rack's carriage bolts. the platform isn't entirely level, and the two stall mats vary in thickness as seen above, but its close enough where i'd be squatting and deadlifting. i'm just happy that i can really go for broke now... i dumped 400lb from squatting rack position to test it out, and while it was fucking scary, it held up extremely well. i had shitty hole spacing on my last rack so the pins couldn't catch a failed bench press, but now i have a sweet spot where i can arch and have the bar miss the pins but relaxing will allow the bar to rest safely. there's other nice little bonuses... its a higher unit so i can actually do hanging leg raises now, and i can do banded pullups with my legs extended instead of around my knees, etc. little stuff for sure, but it makes a big difference when you have a simple setup.

i suppose i technically lost some functionality since i don't have space for the cable stack anymore, but it was a shitty unit and i get the same utility out of bands. i also sold a lot of excess standard plate, ez-curl bar, etc. since all of that shit + the cable stack ended up making me major in the minor details. even though i just swapped out racks and lost a cable unit, my programming has changed pretty significantly as a result. i made the best gainzz when i had a really limited setup so im pretty excited to simplify things.

4 people like this.
  9. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Check out IASPBR. I found transitioning from 5x5 to IASPBR a good one because it keeps the compound exercises in a similar rep/weight range as 5x5 but then adds assistance movements with more volume.

10. jarude

jarude Senior member

bench
    legs + back
    rest
    bench assistance
    legs + back
    rest
    rest

has worked extremely well for me. i would echo trini's recommendation of SPBR though; its easy to get sidetracked if you're trying to come up with your own split, whereas SPBR is just a good simple progression-oriented routine that SS segues nicely into.

11. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

yeah i'd check out SPBR. It's what I'd run if i wasn't injured.

12. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

I just don't like the idea or doing more than one compound lift per workout, but I still want to workout more than one body part a day. I wish one body part a day was more effective, then I'd

Shoulders: start with OHP move onto assistance
    Back: deadlifts move into assistance
    Chest: bench move onto assistance
    Legs: squat move into assistance

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

replace shoulders with another bench day and you have what i suggested. chest+shoulders/back+legs/chest+shoulders/back+legs. works great.

"compound lift" means more than what you think it does; youre doing more than one compound lift per session on SS, so im not sure why you have an issue with it

14. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

You're right, I just thought the addition of accessory work plus more than one big compound lift would put too much stress on the CNS and inhibit gains. Overtraining and all that shit.

Might just do what you suggested

15. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Thanks for the stuff about voodoo bands Cold; I also opted for the bike tire. Guys speaking of training frequency what are your thoughts on squatting 5 days a week?

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Getting really excited for my first meet in November. I know like 8-12 people that will be at the meet and they all have offered to help me with my attempts or if I need help at the meet. Seems like a great community

Hmm. I trained like this for about a year -

The body really can't handle that type of volume in my opinion. I trained very Russian style 4 days a week where I would Snatch doubles or singles, Clean doubles or singles, Jerk singles, then back or front squat every other day. So pretty much I was squatting 4 days a week and using legs every day, I would have to take epson salt baths every night and my knees would literally hurt when it rained. Like I would wake up in the morning and know it was either raining outside or would rain today.

17. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

sick! im lookin forward to doing my neurosurg AIs next year

18. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Jarude, do you ever hit biceps/triceps directly with your routine, or kind of just let everything else take care of em?

19. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Didn't get to really leave post this weekend. Spent today studying and tomorrow I'm on call from 7am-7am. But for the next 2 weekends I'll have both days off and hope to get to check out the surrounding area a bit.

20. jarude

jarude Senior member

as far as discrete arm work goes: triceps most definitely, biceps yes but more of an afterthought. i will say that my arms benefit most from rowing and pressing variations, though - high rep curls and extensions only seem to give me a pump and keep my joints happy.

i've been separating discrete arm work and putting it into a separate day with some added volume and ive noticed no difference whatsoever. i still do it now because it keeps my other sessions shorter and gets me up on monday morning, but past that, i've found curls to be extremely overrated. triceps press variations on the other hand are money.